VinnyGT19
VinnyGT19 New Reader
9/21/13 5:12 p.m.

Hi,

I am on the lookout for a unicorn AE86 GT-S. My desire for this car makes no logical sense - I just want one. Plan is for a lively, lightweight daily driver (commute is country backroads).

I am looking for a car in the southeast (live 1 hr from Atlanta). I am not looking for a SR-5 or any automatic transmissions.

Want: -GT-S -manual trans -A/C must be in working order (it's hot in Georgia) -no stripped out interiors/cages/drift missiles -Would prefer a coupe

I realize that this is a tall order, but I am willing to pay for the right car. The more original, the better. I'm trying to get one before they're gone. Thanks.

carbon
carbon Reader
9/22/13 10:41 p.m.

Have you been watching club4ag? It's tough to find a clean hachiroku nowadays. I'm looking for a clean hatch for a long time now, if you're receptive to coupes you'll have an easier search.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/23/13 1:45 a.m.

I have a coupe GT-S that will be up for sale in the next week or two in Portland, OR. I realize it is really, really far from you, but what distance is too far for tracking down a unicorn? :D

No A/C (temperate climate here) but a factory LSD and a decent car with full interior and streetable daily-driver specification, and a nice selection of aftermarket parts in the right places (bushings, plug wires, electric fan, short shifter, shocks, wheels, lights, intake, exhaust, brake pads, rotors, pedals, etc.) Rust is limited to couple tiny patches on the sunroof panel and in the spare tire well. One tiny (and I mean tiny) crack in dash, and the rest of the interior is really good for the age of the car.

Motorsports proven, and my daily driver until a month ago.

VinnyGT19
VinnyGT19 New Reader
9/23/13 3:26 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61:

I have been watching Club 4AG - I actually saw my unicorn on there a couple of days ago:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4071516119.html

...but the seller has not responded to any emails or PM's, leading me to post here out of desperation.

ae86andkp61, that is a nice looking car. Was it a factory A/C car and A/C is not working now, or never optioned that way? What is your asking price? I think it'd probably be $1k to ship it here but I'd do it for the right car. Thanks so much.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
9/23/13 4:01 p.m.

Pictures stink, looks?, price looks high: 1985 AE86 True GT-S For Sale - $2800 (Mandarin)

VinnyGT19
VinnyGT19 New Reader
9/23/13 7:35 p.m.

Thanks, I saw that one on a Craigslist metasearch...it's not too far from me. Looks like a good parts car maybe. I have limited mechanical ability and don't think I could get that back to functional.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/29/13 12:52 a.m.
VinnyGT19 wrote: In reply to ae86andkp61: ae86andkp61, that is a nice looking car. Was it a factory A/C car and A/C is not working now, or never optioned that way? What is your asking price? I think it'd probably be $1k to ship it here but I'd do it for the right car. Thanks so much.

Thanks. The car came from the factory without A/C. Things may be different where you live, but around here many of the GT-S's seem to have come without A/C. The good news is that many of the locals that have A/C ditch it in an effort to reduce weight and parasitic drag, so parts may not be impossible to find.

I am getting the car ready to sell, so I haven't settled on an asking price yet. Given that I have owned multiple AE86s and have been into them for more than 15 years, I have a collection of some parts, wheels, spares, etc. Part of what I am figuring out is which of my parts will come with the car, and the price will reflect the end spec. I am thinking I will include a LSD rear end, known good electrical components, a nice complete interior, decent wheels, and a pretty decent handful of aftermarket upgrades throughout the drivetrain and ask somewhere in the high 3's OBO, given that the exterior cosmetics aren't quite perfect. If the buyer wants really nice wheels and tires, great exhaust, and a transmission rebuild, I could do so for a bit more money. If I can't find a buyer as it is, I would consider going lower. If the buyer out there are shopping considerably lower, don't expect a nice interior, limited-slip, new shocks, my best wiring harness, and the great brake setup it has now...and maybe bring your own wheels.

carbon
carbon Reader
9/30/13 1:53 p.m.

http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7552. Here you go.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
9/30/13 2:32 p.m.

This car belongs to a friend of mine, but he says he has a sale pending. It's still in his possession, so who knows.

http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6945

VinnyGT19
VinnyGT19 New Reader
9/30/13 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Powar: Thanks for the heads up on that car. I sent your friend an email.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
10/2/13 7:45 a.m.

I am not up on Toyotas and this is probably (certainly) not a GT-S you are looking for? It looked sorta close, 5 speed, and in Atlanta.

1988 TOYOTA CELICA - $1100 (DORAVILLE.GA)

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/2/13 8:47 a.m.
Gasoline wrote: I am not up on Toyotas and this is probably (certainly) not a GT-S you are looking for? It looked sorta close, 5 speed, and in Atlanta. 1988 TOYOTA CELICA - $1100 (DORAVILLE.GA)

That's a Celica, not a Corolla. FWD in this case.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
10/2/13 10:15 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Gasoline wrote: I am not up on Toyotas and this is probably (certainly) not a GT-S you are looking for? It looked sorta close, 5 speed, and in Atlanta. 1988 TOYOTA CELICA - $1100 (DORAVILLE.GA)

Ahh. Thanks Got it!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/2/13 10:32 a.m.
Gasoline wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
Ahh. Thanks Got it!

Now if it was an 85 or older.... then you'd have something more interesting.

(That said, i'm always on the look out for a clean 88-89 Celica GTS.)

VinnyGT19
VinnyGT19 New Reader
10/2/13 6:01 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One: There was a good looking 1985 Celica coupe (can't remember/don't know the difference between 'GT' and 'GT-S' for these) northeast of Atlanta listed for sale just a few weeks back. I keep a running text file on my desk of the URL of sweet ATL craigslist finds, and this one unfortunately is 'flagged for removal' right now. Had 200k on the clock, original R12 A/C still works, seller wanted $2500.

My current ride is a 2wd toyota truck, and the old Celica didn't seem like it would be too different in character with its truck motor and overall weight. I have run across the occasional good looking AW11 as well in my quest, but I haven't followed up on them.

It took the release of the FR-S for me to understand how unique the old one was in terms of its light weight and fun potential. I'm on this AE86 or bust kick, I am in love with the dorky 80's Japanese styling. It makes me want to make a compilation of John Hughes movie soundtracks and cruise until the wheels fall off. The MR2 does it for me as well but I am afraid of the twitchy handling. I would rock a AE71 if I could find a good one.

I will for sure post the Celica back up if the seller relists it.

carbon
carbon Reader
10/2/13 6:55 p.m.

As the owner of toyota trucks and old 20r celicas, they are nothing alike in terms of driving experience. The 20r has a bit of a different character than a 22r, and the celica chassis is essentially the ae86 chassis so not like a truck. That said, only 1st gen celicas are sexy to my eye. I've been wanting a hachiroku for a while now but need another summer only rig like a hole in the head, and would feel bad getting one salty. So until I've got a bigger garage, no ae86 for me Dont be scared of mr2s they wont bite, and getting to know them is a pleasure. If you find a nice one in your budget, I say grab it, they hold their value quite well so you can turn it and get a hachiroku if one comes around. Did you mention what the budget is?

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
10/2/13 7:56 p.m.
VinnyGT19 wrote: The MR2 does it for me as well but I am afraid of the twitchy handling.

Don't be. I've been tempted to post in this thread from the beginning with "what's like a AE86 GTS, but has independent rear suspension, is mid-engine, and in much greater supply?"

Really, the handling is nothing to worry about. I have an 86, which has the earlier supposedly "oversteer-prone" rear suspension and I daily drove it (hard) on blown shocks, deformed/sloppy bushings, and traction-limited tires for probably 2-3 years before I was able to refresh everything. While it was a bit disconcerting above 70mph during that time, I had to really ham-fist it to get into uncontrollable oversteer territory. That said, they are a lot more sensitive to alignment and unhealthy suspension components than most cars. They're just not death traps.

For the record, I never spun it until I took it to autocross. AFTER installing Konis, Eibach springs, and poly bushings.

VinnyGT19
VinnyGT19 New Reader
10/2/13 10:48 p.m.

In reply to Matt B:

Thanks for the insight into both the Celica and MR2. I will say that I have never driven either. I love the look of the 3rd gen Celica coupe, and I have good memories of blasting around town one that belonged to a high school friend back in the day. I'm fixated on the weight though - a 2750 lbs car with 110 hp, 140? ft/lbs. I remember seeing someone on here with a rallycross RA65 - seems like that low end grunt would make for fun times getting sideways in the dirt. I love the overall aesthetic of the MR2 as well. Matt B I clicked on your profile MR2 and it looks awesome with the wheel arches, etc. If I had unlimited means I would certainly have one of each.

I have been a longtime lurker on here and magazine subscriber (found this board in 1999), but have never had an automotive toy due to lack of time/money. Now that my professional situation has changed, I got on a serious kick trying to find one of these, along the same lines as the "which car before they are gone?" thread. These cars have been lionized to the point of appearing in the Hot Wheels lineup this year -- I came home from Wal Mart a few weeks back with one for my 3 yr old son and one to put on my desk at work. Again, my desire for this car doesn't make any logical sense. I freely admit to watching too much Best Motoring and Hot Version on Youtube, and that has likely colored my judgement. My commute is at present ~5 miles of roads without any stop lights, and frequently done in the wee am hours and late at night when the roads are empty. I would enjoy blasting around in a relative featherweight 2300 lbs AE86.

I was hoping to find the best example possible and would be willing to pay for the right car. A GT-S with working A/C is a tall order for a 30 year car, but is the difference between a car I can enjoy everyday and actually use vs. something that sits on the side of the driveway under a car cover 90% of the time or more. I have been looking at NA Miata's as well, and the 90-93 is almost of the same vintage, with a similar R12 A/C system, and yet the majority of these still have functional A/C.

I had mentally settled on a budget of 7k for said unicorn given overall rarity for the east coast, and 1k to refresh all the consumables off the bat. Beyond that, the 'it' factor starts wearing off when I think of how nice a Miata could be had for the same money. NA Miata will likely be the inevitable result (I've already bought Keith's books), but I am just not as excited about a Miata at the present. A FR-S isn't out of the realm of possibility in a year or two, it just doesn't have the same appeal either: 600 pounds difference in curb weight, and the character of the original aesthetically isn't there IMHO (almost like it looks too fast for what it is - too much 2000GT and not enough Corolla again IMHO). Thanks for all the comments.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iNEVACVFnSQK5nQM6rC6aq6xgLPq2XOcIdTKPOBgw71xANULGEMIfLg7P6lCJkhq