lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
11/3/19 11:57 a.m.

I ended up with this on a trade for my MGB V-8 plus a bunch of cash, but I did the deal figuring the Mustang will be an easier sell than the MG was. Please help prove me correct!

It’s a really nice driver quality car that was a “father and son and son” project for the previous owner and his family. He was quite a mechanical person, but he had friends and a local garage help him with any part that was “above his pay grade”(welding, body and paint work). It turned out very nice, but it is not a show car, I describe it best as a fun driver. I’ve taken it out every sunny day the last 2 weeks and it runs well. I was a bit hesitant as I’ve never owned a car with manual steering and brakes, but first generation Mustangs are light enough that it’s not an issue. The only time that I notice an issue with steering effort is when you are at a dead stop and turning, but as soon as you start moving, it’s not bad at all.

Anyway, the car is white, not Wimbledon white, just a generic white that a local NJ body shop painted the car for the PO. The car was originally Raven Black according to the Marti Report that I have. The interior is dark red and the power convertible top is black. The car has a rebuilt 200 6-cylinder engine and a C-4 automatic transmission. A rebuilt 1966 cylinder head is on the car, but a correct 1968 head is included if someone was going for originality. The original carb and exhaust manifold have been replaced by a Weber 38/38 and tubular header from Clifford 6=8 Performance. Also an electronic ignition replaces the original points set-up. What really sets the car off is the new Scott Drake Magnum 400 aluminum wheels and new Cooper Cobra tires.

Below is a list of items that the previous owner had compiled. I also have a file with all of the receipts for parts and work he had done.

• New front frame rail hole plugs.
  • New Front seat track bolts, pins, washers, etc.
  • New valve cover, gasket, bolts, transmission shift bushings.
  • New antenna, seat latch handle, bezels, shifter bushing.
  • Rebuild driver’s seat, bead blast seat frame, nuts and bolts, seat back frame, new seat back foam, hog rings, hog ring pliers.
  • New radiator hoses, clamps, etc… 
  • New water pump.
  • New timing cover seal.
  • New fuel pump.
  • New battery cables. 
  • Cylinder head professionally rebuild by local machine shop. 
  • New fuel tank. 
  • New wiper blade, and arms.
  • New rear interior quarter panels(need to be installed).
  • New manual steering box.
  • New axle back plate gasket, battery hold down clamp.
  • New outside mirror.
  • New electronic ignition, and new coil.
  • New convertible top hydraulic cylinder, bushing kit, etc..
  • New windshield washer rebuild kit.
  • New dash pad, matching complete lock cylinder replacement kit.
  • Suspension repair parts, brake repair parts.
  • New Leaf springs, tune up kit, brake hoses, etc..
  • New sway bar, front bearings.
  • Replace rear motor mount, and alternator.
  • Replace all rear seals and bearings 
  • Replace harmonic balancer, tie rod, bushings, alignment.
  • Purchase new 2 barrel Weber carburetor and accessories from Clifford Performance.
  • Purchase new header and port divider from Summit Racing
  • Replace and reroute heater hoses.
  • Purchase Cooper Cobra tires and Magnum 400 wheels, lugs, stems.
  • Purchase parts to repair heater box, glove box, and new dash speaker.
  • Body Shop: Install new inner wheel section and new battery tray, Repair rust on doors, trunk lid, and rear holes by brake lights
  • rebuild front end, Shelby drop, 1/4” shock tower plates, new upper control arms, new strut rod bushings, new spring perches, cut spring, repair grease fitting holes, prime and paint shock towers, professional alignment.
  • Replaced hood hinges 

$15,500 obo

The car is located in Northeast PA in my shop and can be seen/driven any time. I also have a 2-post lift, so the car can be put up in the air and viewed underneath so there is nothing to hide.

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
11/14/19 8:13 a.m.

I sold a bunch of old MGB parts from the car I traded and did a full accounting on what I have invested in this one. $13,650 is where I’m at and would like to see this go to someone who will enjoy it. It’s a really nice driver, I’m just not into classic American cars. 

$13,650

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/14/19 8:26 a.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 :

I think I have a buyer for you. 

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
11/14/19 8:33 a.m.

PM me for a contact cell number or email me at w650gb500-at-gmail-dot-com

Dan

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/19 9:28 a.m.

TIL that the i6 cars didn't get 5-lug wheels in '67-'68.  also TIL that i've never seen an i6 '67-'68 mustang without hubcaps.

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
11/14/19 12:24 p.m.

I think that the PO’s choice of wheels/tires absolutely makes the car. IMO, with them, it looks a lot “faster/tougher” than it would have with the stock wheels and hubcaps. Actually, I liked this combo so much, I told the seller to keep the original wheels/tires/hubcaps when I picked up the car! I don’t think anyone would ever go back to the stockers over these Magnum 400’s. 

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
11/14/19 9:02 p.m.

I happen to like White cars very much.  I think the car looks great!

I though that it was a very cheap price for a Mustang until I saw the I6 but even with that engine the price is still fair.

Any good mechanic could swap in a 5.0L and maybe even add an AOD so you have overdrive.

The 170/200/250 Ford I6 engine line are. . . . well lets just say their not what I would call interesting?

Good luck with the sale. I just wish I had the room.

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
11/30/19 9:39 a.m.

One last shot before I ship the car down to Florida for the winter. I figured why have it sit in the garage all winter when my parents could enjoy it for a few months and try to sell it down where it’s always top-down convertible weather.

$12,500 cash 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/30/19 10:34 a.m.

I really thought my friend would have contacted you by now. 

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
11/30/19 3:20 p.m.

Nope, nothing. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/30/19 3:34 p.m.

He wants it bad. I think he’s a little short of cash right now. 

Butterbeam
Butterbeam
12/4/19 3:54 a.m.

Great car.

Edulas
Edulas
12/11/19 1:45 p.m.

It definitely is.

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
12/16/19 8:48 a.m.

I’m headed to Clermont, FL between the holidays or the first week of the new year and can deliver the car anywhere in between for the fuel costs.

Kasi
Kasi New Reader
1/21/20 5:56 p.m.

I dropped you an email .

Karsten

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/19/20 5:28 p.m.

I ended up doing a bunch of small items to the car over the winter and it must have done the trick. The car is sold. 

buenavides1
buenavides1 New Reader
4/19/20 11:58 p.m.

You have managed to maintain this car as if it is still new. 

pilchuck
pilchuck
9/9/20 2:19 p.m.

Is the mustang still for sale?  VERY interested!

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/21/20 7:26 p.m.
buenavides1 said:

You have managed to maintain this car as if it is still new. 

Very little about that car has anything to do with as new! Nice improvements though. Having had several 140/170/200's in the 70's and 80's, I was never impressed. Yes, Falcon/Comet/Mustang all had 4 lug with the I6, and 5 lug with the V8... I have never seen, or even heard of 4 lug Magnums. Don't like them on the white mustang (at least in the picture) but def. nice looking wheels. So far Ive never seen any 4 lug rims for that vintage I do like, but those come very close.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/21/20 7:27 p.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) :

Congrats on sale. Very nice driver. I hope it went to a good home.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fhc3zPRUQFK1IMTCE0PfIdWTxlt5l2V2UaX8GPpzbFYG1GuCL6sKhFdb2Hq0eUim