lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
11/3/19 11:57 a.m.

I ended up with this on a trade for my MGB V-8 plus a bunch of cash, but I did the deal figuring the Mustang will be an easier sell than the MG was. Please help prove me correct!

It’s a really nice driver quality car that was a “father and son and son” project for the previous owner and his family. He was quite a mechanical person, but he had friends and a local garage help him with any part that was “above his pay grade”(welding, body and paint work). It turned out very nice, but it is not a show car, I describe it best as a fun driver. I’ve taken it out every sunny day the last 2 weeks and it runs well. I was a bit hesitant as I’ve never owned a car with manual steering and brakes, but first generation Mustangs are light enough that it’s not an issue. The only time that I notice an issue with steering effort is when you are at a dead stop and turning, but as soon as you start moving, it’s not bad at all.

Anyway, the car is white, not Wimbledon white, just a generic white that a local NJ body shop painted the car for the PO. The car was originally Raven Black according to the Marti Report that I have. The interior is dark red and the power convertible top is black. The car has a rebuilt 200 6-cylinder engine and a C-4 automatic transmission. A rebuilt 1966 cylinder head is on the car, but a correct 1968 head is included if someone was going for originality. The original carb and exhaust manifold have been replaced by a Weber 38/38 and tubular header from Clifford 6=8 Performance. Also an electronic ignition replaces the original points set-up. What really sets the car off is the new Scott Drake Magnum 400 aluminum wheels and new Cooper Cobra tires.

Below is a list of items that the previous owner had compiled. I also have a file with all of the receipts for parts and work he had done.

• New front frame rail hole plugs.
  • New Front seat track bolts, pins, washers, etc.
  • New valve cover, gasket, bolts, transmission shift bushings.
  • New antenna, seat latch handle, bezels, shifter bushing.
  • Rebuild driver’s seat, bead blast seat frame, nuts and bolts, seat back frame, new seat back foam, hog rings, hog ring pliers.
  • New radiator hoses, clamps, etc… 
  • New water pump.
  • New timing cover seal.
  • New fuel pump.
  • New battery cables. 
  • Cylinder head professionally rebuild by local machine shop. 
  • New fuel tank. 
  • New wiper blade, and arms.
  • New rear interior quarter panels(need to be installed).
  • New manual steering box.
  • New axle back plate gasket, battery hold down clamp.
  • New outside mirror.
  • New electronic ignition, and new coil.
  • New convertible top hydraulic cylinder, bushing kit, etc..
  • New windshield washer rebuild kit.
  • New dash pad, matching complete lock cylinder replacement kit.
  • Suspension repair parts, brake repair parts.
  • New Leaf springs, tune up kit, brake hoses, etc..
  • New sway bar, front bearings.
  • Replace rear motor mount, and alternator.
  • Replace all rear seals and bearings 
  • Replace harmonic balancer, tie rod, bushings, alignment.
  • Purchase new 2 barrel Weber carburetor and accessories from Clifford Performance.
  • Purchase new header and port divider from Summit Racing
  • Replace and reroute heater hoses.
  • Purchase Cooper Cobra tires and Magnum 400 wheels, lugs, stems.
  • Purchase parts to repair heater box, glove box, and new dash speaker.
  • Body Shop: Install new inner wheel section and new battery tray, Repair rust on doors, trunk lid, and rear holes by brake lights
  • rebuild front end, Shelby drop, 1/4” shock tower plates, new upper control arms, new strut rod bushings, new spring perches, cut spring, repair grease fitting holes, prime and paint shock towers, professional alignment.
  • Replaced hood hinges 

$15,500 obo

The car is located in Northeast PA in my shop and can be seen/driven any time. I also have a 2-post lift, so the car can be put up in the air and viewed underneath so there is nothing to hide.

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
11/14/19 8:13 a.m.

I sold a bunch of old MGB parts from the car I traded and did a full accounting on what I have invested in this one. $13,650 is where I’m at and would like to see this go to someone who will enjoy it. It’s a really nice driver, I’m just not into classic American cars. 

$13,650

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/14/19 8:26 a.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 :

I think I have a buyer for you. 

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
11/14/19 8:33 a.m.

PM me for a contact cell number or email me at w650gb500-at-gmail-dot-com

Dan

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/14/19 9:28 a.m.

TIL that the i6 cars didn't get 5-lug wheels in '67-'68.  also TIL that i've never seen an i6 '67-'68 mustang without hubcaps.

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
11/14/19 12:24 p.m.

I think that the PO’s choice of wheels/tires absolutely makes the car. IMO, with them, it looks a lot “faster/tougher” than it would have with the stock wheels and hubcaps. Actually, I liked this combo so much, I told the seller to keep the original wheels/tires/hubcaps when I picked up the car! I don’t think anyone would ever go back to the stockers over these Magnum 400’s. 

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
11/14/19 9:02 p.m.

I happen to like White cars very much.  I think the car looks great!

I though that it was a very cheap price for a Mustang until I saw the I6 but even with that engine the price is still fair.

Any good mechanic could swap in a 5.0L and maybe even add an AOD so you have overdrive.

The 170/200/250 Ford I6 engine line are. . . . well lets just say their not what I would call interesting?

Good luck with the sale. I just wish I had the room.

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
11/30/19 9:39 a.m.

One last shot before I ship the car down to Florida for the winter. I figured why have it sit in the garage all winter when my parents could enjoy it for a few months and try to sell it down where it’s always top-down convertible weather.

$12,500 cash 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/30/19 10:34 a.m.

I really thought my friend would have contacted you by now. 

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
11/30/19 3:20 p.m.

Nope, nothing. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/30/19 3:34 p.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 :

He wants it bad. I think he’s a little short of cash right now. 

Butterbeam
Butterbeam
12/4/19 3:54 a.m.

Great car.

Edulas
Edulas
12/11/19 1:45 p.m.

It definitely is.

Our Preferred Partners
f8yO7sUrdWUDC9VTppsSl09I6EuNLuVfIclZyvAcleVIHFhs1cAReKblMmmXof5J