Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/24/20 5:17 p.m.

I recently bought my old Spitfire back (details here), and ended up with this car as part of the deal. I didn't have room on the trailer to take two cars home to Florida, so I was forced to leave this one in a friend's yard in Richmond. After some more deliberation, I've realized that I really don't need another Spitfire, so this one needs to go.

I took more than 100 photos before I left, which you can see here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/999g4gkjv7oe58a/AABMx2O2FfQkhmgVdW1Ie_FVa?dl=0

Here's everything I know about this car:

It sat outside under a tarp for a while.

The drivetrain seems complete. 

It's a 1974. 

The only rust I could find is in the battery box. I haven't had it up on a lift, but this seems to be an exceedingly rust-free Spitfire. 

I have a clean Virginia title for the car ready to transfer. 

Three of the tires were inflated when I arrived. The fourth was off the bead, but set and rolled fine with some air. 

It has twin SU carbs, a header and a fancy valve cover.

It has an inspection sticker from 1999 on the windshield.

Unfortunately, this is all I know about the car. The explanations for why parts were removed or what caused it to be taken off the road unfortunately died with the previous owner. 

If you'd like to look at it in person I could arrange that, but I'd like to limit the amount of visits to my friend's backyard, especially during the pandemic. The car is just outside Richmond, VA. 

I'm in Florida, and can mail the title once payment is received. That could be with a mailed check if I know you/we have mutual friends, or with PayPal/Venmo/equivalent if you're a stranger. 

I'd love to see this car at the Challenge. 

Tom Suddard
8/24/20 5:19 p.m.

Oh, and one more thing: I have an attic full of Spitfire parts, and am almost positive that I have everything you'd need to put this car back together. If your goal is a restoration, we could talk about getting a big 'ol box of Spitfire parts to you in a separate transaction. 

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/25/20 2:38 p.m.

When I first looked at the picture I thought this was your old car, and that the years had been pretty hard on it, after all the nice work you did. Good to see that this is actually a different car. laugh

Tom Suddard
8/25/20 9:35 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/20 10:28 p.m.

Clicked the link, it was more than $1, so I watched instead of bid.

I bet you'll get more than $1500 though

Tom Suddard
8/26/20 7:39 a.m.

Only at $355... somebody needs this!

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/26/20 7:45 a.m.

Now at 400...

Munchkin and I have been talking about her first car. I was thinking little British car. Something simple. Shes thinking my truck....

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/26/20 8:06 a.m.

Does the engine turn free?

EDIT: after reading the wikipedia article on this lump, it doesn't make a whole lot less power in not running condition.  cheeky

Tom Suddard
8/26/20 8:25 a.m.

I have no idea if the engine turns free. My hunch is that it does–everything seemed to be dry–but no guarantees and I didn't have time to inspect anything.

To be perfectly honest, I think that with a day's worth of work this could run and drive. But that's just a hunch, and I can't make any promises. I just didn't have the time to work on it. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/20 7:27 a.m.

Oh well, i was going to offer $150 and wait for you to say "i no what i got" 

clshore
clshore Reader
8/27/20 9:58 a.m.

I don't need another Spitfire, but I could replace one of the one of the 6 I already have with one in better shape.

Tempting, very tempting.

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/28/20 4:57 p.m.

If only it was in Florida...  had a '74 back in the day.  That dual carb setup isn't original IIRC.  Always wanted to do the dual carb conversion to mine.  I've got some warehouse space.....

Have to get an idea of shipping cost on a non-runner.

Tom Suddard
8/28/20 5:04 p.m.

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but eBay has a built in vehicle shipping calculator. 

Tom Suddard
8/28/20 5:14 p.m.

Still only at about $500 by the way. Everybody needs another spitfire!

Tom Suddard
8/31/20 9:58 a.m.

Wow! One day left and sitting at $609. Somebody needs this!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/20 10:46 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Sorry but I'm blowing this months car fun budget bidding on some Innocenti Mini 10 inch wheels with cool hubcaps.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/31/20 10:57 a.m.

So much want. So little room. crying

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/31/20 11:26 a.m.

Saw your comment in the auction that you were able to change the title from VA to FL.  I thought in FL they had to do a VIN verification.  How did you get past this to get it retitled?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/20 11:36 a.m.

In reply to glueguy (Forum Supporter) :

I don't know how Tom did it but there is a form from the FL DMV that any law enforcement can do a VIN verification even out of state LE.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/31/20 1:52 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Thanks, that's handy to know.

Tom Suddard
9/1/20 9:20 a.m.

Yes, there's just a form to fill out that you have to get notarized or signed by a cop. I thought ahead and got it completed/notarized just in case I went this route with the parts car. Didn't want to sell something on an open title, especially not an open title from another state. 

gde31ff
gde31ff New Reader
9/1/20 9:48 p.m.

Well that was a bit of a surprise! I was scouring the Southeast for a "decent" & affordable Miata and my vibrating phone told me I'd just purchased Tom's 1974 Spitfire project for $870. I'd thrown down a bid that i was certain would get eclipsed - and then it didn't.

I'm sure there's quite a bit of work to get her road worthy.....but it'll be kinda cool to teach my kids how to wrench while sitting on a front tire under that clamshell hood. I guess m-i-a-t-a isn't going to be the answer for me......unless I plug the 1.8 in there.......

Tom Suddard
9/1/20 9:49 p.m.

Very cool! I'm glad it went to somebody on the forum!!! I sent you a message via eBay, let me know if you didn't get it. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/8/20 1:01 p.m.

LOL.  Kinda glad I didn't see this a couple weeks ago, what with it practically sitting in my backyard and all....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xuZGUxZhrkMoev1t10kUu7QHAREnCjZKTgy8Cewq5IXLXJyLEeruBukmGi3arCXg