1 2
frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/28/20 8:51 p.m.

I just agreed to bring home another Jaguar. XJS V12 
it's a bit rusty underneath.  But it's a British version. That's 33 extra horsepower, the good heads.  It's  861 pounds lighter than American cars and it's right hand drive. 
Anybody want a bargain on a California no rust project car?   SWMBO  is going to kill me.   Last time I brought home this California car, it got really icy around here. She hates me acting without discussion but in this case I've just gotta do it. Better to ask forgiveness then permission! 
Make  me an offer before I take all the mechanicals out of the rusty one and put them in the California car.  $1000 OBO 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/29/20 10:07 a.m.

What's it's running condition?  Pictures?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/20 11:16 a.m.

Are you selling the california car or the british one?

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/29/20 1:00 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I don't know,  I want the best of both but if I do that then I'd just be selling parts, wouldn't I?  
I probably could get a whole lot more for the parts than a whole running car, but I don't have space or time to mess around.  
I don't want either interior and they are both nice leather. Both need treatment but wouldn't take long to do if you don't need to crawl around in a little coupe. 
Nor any of the luxury stuff  A/C heater power windows etc., well you know the stuff left over after you strip it for racing. The sheet metal on both are good just the floor pans need patches on the rusty one  and that's not hard work at all. 

So I suppose the smart move would be to sell the California car.  But that needs the fuel injection reinstalled.   

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/29/20 1:18 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

What's it's running condition?  Pictures?

As soon as I get the Yellow British one I'll take pictures. The California car is all dusty from sitting in the shop.  I suppose I'll need to wash it and throw a coat of wax on it first. ( it's Regency red. A sort of burgundy ). 
The  British one starts but doesn't stay running,  probably a dirty fuel pressure regulator. I don't care I'll toss that in favor of carbs. They are so simple and straight forward to work on I can just  ream the jets out to use E85 and pick up 35+ horsepower over the fuel injection with a set of Re ground cams I'll be looking at over 450 Horsepower.  It will either have  3.07 or 3.31 posi Rear end. Which might be useful if I go Down to Daytona  or the salt lakes 

Southern California one was running nice according to its owner and then he pulled off the intake manifold  to put on Weber's.  I've  got the stock parts  
 And can bolt things together quick enough.  That's really the one I should get rid of. Even though I love the color.  
The Southern California car ( red one )  has updated 16" lattice wheels  while the Yellow (British ) one  has the original Kent wheels. 
The lattice wheels sell for  a premium  but aren't original on this style.  You can have whichever set you want since neither will be needed on the race car. 

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
5/29/20 9:33 p.m.

Against the advice of the herd, you have me talked into doing a V12 swap into something one day... Alas, that day is not even a speck on the horizon yet!

(I do have you in mind for a first question if the time ever does come!)

Stampie (FS)
5/29/20 9:55 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Well frenchyd has publicly stated that a Jaguar V12 is only worth it if he gets one free many times.  How much is a XJS shell worth for someone that wants to SBC swap it?

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
5/29/20 9:57 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to 03Panther :

Well frenchyd has publicly stated that a Jaguar V12 is only worth it if he gets one free many times.  How much is a XJS shell worth for someone that wants to SBC swap it?

smiley or is that devil ?

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
5/29/20 10:01 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

So... if you buy it, we can go get it, I'll pull the V12, and you SBC it !!!    Heck, I'll trade ya a LT1 for the V12 !!!

Wait... no more projects, no more projects, no more... how do I find my sponser?   Help !!!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
5/29/20 11:03 p.m.

Frenchy, built the race car, sell the leftovers. Time's a fleetin!

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/30/20 4:08 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to 03Panther :

Why would you want less power?  Cast Iron, cask crank etc etc 
You do know the 454 only has 235 SAE net horsepower don't you? Yes the same 454 that in the good old days when Chevy lied to you and told you it made 450 gross or  Advertised horsepower.   While a normal 326 cu in V 12 comes with 264  DIN net horsepower.( about 269 SAE net )  Unless it's sold outside  the US in which case it's 299 DIN net ( multiply  times 1.0391 for SAE numbers) 

In the early 70's Chevy sold the LT1 engine as having 350 gross or advertised horsepower. But a few years later the Corvette had 160 horsepower SAE net! 

If you like 'murican cars 'cause of carburetors  you'll love the early V12's. 1971-1974  They have 4 simple carburetors that together total more than the biggest Holley Dominator.(  2" butterflies X4 ) They are so simple one small crescent wrench and one medium straight slot will take them apart in 5 minutes or you're too slow. Without the need to take them off the manifold. Or remove the air cleaner 

Of course you know about the GM Turbo 400 but nope won't fit on a Chevy. Because like Cadillac and Buick,  Jaguar has it's own case. 
And a Dana 44 

Pushrods and Rocker arms. Tsssk tssssk 

The all aluminum Die cast block  that can easily go to over 7 liters with out using a boring bar.  ( the Iron linings slide out, chuck them in a lathe and bore until you hit water. ) 

Stock the Jaguar has an EN 40 forged steel hardened crankshaft with massive 3 inch mains and 2.3 rod bearings.  

Yes Chevy came out with the LS motor right around the time Jaguar came out with their All aluminum DOHC 4 valve V8 engine. But isn't that a whole different story?  

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/30/20 4:14 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

Frenchy, built the race car, sell the leftovers. Time's a fleetin!

SWMBO needs to let me have room for another car in the driveway. But I'm proceeding.   Hence  looking for someone to  to take one off my hands.  I figure the yellow one with an engine and transmission just set in there out to be worth something shouldn't it?  
Maybe I should start out  at $100 and see how high the bidding goes?  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/30/20 4:14 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to 03Panther :

You knew what you were doing with this post. Getting Frenchy started on repeat again. 

I can't tell if he's trying to sell us a car or finding a reason to type his normal canned statements wink

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/30/20 4:16 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

If your near the twin cites. I'll make you a good deal on a V12 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/30/20 4:17 p.m.
yupididit said:
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to 03Panther :

You knew what you were doing with this post. Getting Frenchy started on repeat again. 

I can't tell if he's trying to sell us a car or finding a reason to type his normal canned statements wink

I'm trying find space for two cars when SWMBO says only one is allowed 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/30/20 4:28 p.m.

That's what rented storage units are for!

My wife thinks mine are full of old furniture!

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/30/20 5:04 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

Now you really want me to catch hell

Stampie (FS)
5/30/20 5:47 p.m.
yupididit said:
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to 03Panther :

Do you think he copies and paste it or does he type it out every time?  One day I might get a Jag V12 but it's so not even close to the top of the list.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
5/31/20 12:12 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Why would you want less power?  Cast Iron, cask crank etc etc

In reply to 03Panther :

If your near the twin cites. I'll make you a good deal on a V12 

The numbers may not add up, but it’s sure been done a lot! Some better than others, but still... different strokes...

Alas, 1200 miles; not insurmountable, but no money, no space and no time! One day - maybe, but at 56, early retirement is even farther away than it was 10 yr ago! Maybe a year or two after I die...

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/31/20 4:06 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:
yupididit said:
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to 03Panther :

Do you think he copies and paste it or does he type it out every time?  One day I might get a Jag V12 but it's so not even close to the top of the list.

I'm seriously trying to figure out what the left overs are worth. Reportedly the yellow one has soft spots in the floor. So I want the mechanicals out of the yellow one and put my mechanicals back in.  
Neither are running now but both were running when stored.  The engine and transmission are 1984 with 11.5-1 compression. Good compression tests, I'll repeat them for a buyer. 
I'm paying $1000 for the yellow one, he paid $2400 to import it from England. Reportedly he has 4 and a wife with a baby on the way. 

My motivation to sell is SWMBO will not tolerate another car.  As it is her car and my truck sit out in the driveway.  
it's Sell it or trade it for a rear end 

Stampie (FS)
5/31/20 4:51 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Honestly it's going to hard to sell without pictures.  Ran when parked doesn't go over well with this crowd, plus you don't even know what you want to sell.  Maybe get that all decided then post a for sale ad.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
5/31/20 5:01 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I won't get it until next week. ( rather than pick it up this weekend when my wife had me scheduled for other duties).  That's when I'll take pictures. ( I bought it sight unseen) 
I don't want it here, the arguments aren't worth keeping it. 
So if I get it running perfectly and give a 50,000 mile warranty  are you willing to pay for my labor at my rate or would you rather do like I do and fix things after You buy them?  

Stampie (FS)
5/31/20 5:30 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I still don't know what you're selling.

Stampie (FS)
6/8/20 7:57 p.m.

Ok Frenchy,  It's been over a week now.  Whatcha got or did your wife kill you?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/11/20 12:51 p.m.

He may have gotten caught up in the rioting.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RtKqwsVhLaRKqJIVzu0LSlggTT4ymdCoJcRKr8ST3w3ZdRtYFxvUKGQHZZIGVYbz