We recently went on another 1000-mile rally, this time in our Triumph TR 6. Our chosen venue was the Mountain Mille, an event organized by Rich Taylor and Jean Constantine's Vintage Rallies. We like running with these guys, and if you haven't tried this method of enjoying your classic car, we highly recommend it.

After doing about half a dozen …

Read the rest of the story

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
3/11/15 12:05 p.m.

These runs sound like a lot of fun, but in my mind they are only affordable to the wealthy retired crowd.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/11/15 1:08 p.m.

They aren't all expensive. Check out the rally headed from Coker tire to the Mitty. You may not spend the night in a 5-star hotel, but you'll still get to drive great roads with a bunch of other cool cars, and like-minded enthusiasts:

http://classicmotorsports.net/events/coker-tire-tour/

Gary
Gary HalfDork
3/13/15 11:52 a.m.

In response to Joe Gearin:

The New England 1000 is on my bucket list as a "must do." That's also also a Rich and Jean Taylor event. My only issue at this point is having the right vehicle. My Spitfire is obviously out if the question. So my next vintage vehicle purchase will be based on qualification for this event. And it needs to be affordable. I know their rule now is that an entry must be a sports or GT car that is 25 or more years old. That's better than their previous rule, which limited entry to pre-1975 sports or GT vehicles. The new rule opens up the possibility of many affordable cars from the eighties, such as Corvettes, Mercedes SLs and front engined Porsches. My question is twofold. From your experience, is entry limited to a certain number of vehicles? And, if one were to pick up for instance a good eighties Corvette and entry was in fact limited, would that individual be denied entry with deference to somebody with a Mercedes Gullwing for instance, which would have much more appeal than an eighties era Corvette? Maybe that's not a fair question to you, and maybe I should contact Rich and Jean. But maybe you have some experience with that.

(Now, after having said that about affordable eighties cars, I am still at heart a Triumph guy, so a TR6 or GT6 isn't out of the question for this event. They both would qualify. And if I buy only one more vintage vehicle in my life, I wouldn't mind having one of those. So ... decisions, decisions).

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/13/15 2:50 p.m.

In reply to Gary:TR-3 or TR-6

Gary
Gary HalfDork
3/13/15 3:14 p.m.

I hear ya Man! I missed out on a well-maintained, garaged, "driven by a retired professor" TR3 in CT last November. Looked like your picture, except with Minilite clones. Great price. It even had the factory steel hard top. I procrastinated, didn't pull the trigger in time, and it went to a buyer in PA. Dayum. I'm also considering a couple of nice TR6s here in the Southern New England area. One has a factory hardtop. (I'm partial to the looks of a TR with a hardtop). But on the other hand, the prices of good eighties era Corvettes in the Northeast are phenomenal, and there's a lot if bang for the buck with a 'Vette. And they now qualify for the New England 1000 Vintage rally. So that's why I've said decisions, decisions.

I'm hoping Joe Gearin responds to my question.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
3/17/15 2:44 p.m.

I was saying, I hope Joe Gearin responds to my question.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/17/15 3:11 p.m.

I agree, the TR-6 looks great with a hardtop. The 3 in the picture is Jonathon, my formerly owned small mouth '56 TR-3. Wonderful car, I much prefer the looks to the others. But when I drove it heavy, I missed the disc brakes in the front. Also I was stopped by Johnny law more than once for only having one brake light. I always carried the manual with me, so I should show them, the car only came with one brake light. Now it's ironic to me, everything comes with a center mounted brake light. On my '56 TR-3, that was the only brake light I had.

Joe Gearin
3/17/15 3:30 p.m.

Gary--- sorry for the delayed response---- I'm just returning from the Amelia Island Concours weekend, and haven't been on the board for a few days.

I'd think if you pre-registered for the event in advance, and they accepted you, you'd be in. I think this goes even if they have a last-minute arrival with a very desirable car. (like the Gullwing 300sl)

I'd be very surprised if they refused entry for any sort of car that fit their rules. I've called Rich, and hopefully he'll chime in with a clarification.

I have to admit--- a 1000 mile tour through New England sounds like a ton of fun!

Gary
Gary HalfDork
3/17/15 4:29 p.m.

Thanks, Joe. I appreciate the info. The difficult part for me will be to decide what car to purchase now that the affordable choices (for me anyway) are more numerous.

I think Tim and Margie did the New England 1000 a few years ago with the Tiger. A friend of mine just sold his '64 Tiger but unfortunately it was a bit out of my budget, so it wasn't a consideration!

Joe Gearin
3/18/15 10:50 a.m.

Agreed Gary--- Tiger prices have jumped way up! Fortunately, there's plenty of choices out there that are still within reach for most of us. I have to admit....I've been eyeing TR-6s again!

roverguy
roverguy New Reader
12/5/18 6:45 p.m.

Not to hi jack this revived thread, and CM's rallys, but we ran a revival of the Great American Mountain Rally (GAMRR) this past October.

It was a great success and entrants ran almost 800 miles through New England over much of one of the original routes.

Here is a link to a story one of our entrants wrote that Hemmings ran:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/10/28/re-starting-a-new-england-tradition-with-the-great-american-mountain-rally-revival/

We are already planning another route for 2019.

If you are interested feel free to reach out to us at:

GAMRRRALLY@gmail.com

Thanks

Gary Hamilton

Steve McKelvie

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cKReE2WvI4e9UMK8r4rcg1u0qgKnk1ZcRfAPep92oouisjYDxOrUaRgK6tO1EE6r