concours
concours
8/3/10 3:52 p.m.

We are just about finished on our trip to Alaska and back in a 1959 Renault Daupine. Check out http://concourscars.com/current/10-000-miles-in-a-51-year-old-french-car

Gary
Gary Reader
8/4/10 7:12 a.m.

Great posting. Looks like fun. I've always liked Renault Dauphines. It's unusual to see one still readworthy here in the U.S. They seem to be appreciated more in Europe, maybe because there are more available. (The earlier body style is even funkier). Nice patina. Don't paint it!

Gary
Gary Reader
8/4/10 7:13 a.m.

... I meant "roadworthy"

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/4/10 9:39 a.m.

Epic trip! It takes a lot of gumption to tackle a drive to Alaska in an old Renault!

Here I though I was cool driving from NH to FL in a TR-6. Heck you make me look like a wimp!

concours
concours New Reader
8/4/10 11:04 a.m.

I don't know if I would call you a "wimp" Joe. That is a long drive in a TR. I had the advantage of have two of the best mechanics in the US with me! Major update to the page check it out.

OFracing
OFracing Reader
8/4/10 11:41 a.m.

Looks like a great trip. Any tire troubles on the Al-Can? A friend had 3 blow outs on his motorhome due to rough roads. I heard a few years ago they that it's all paved now, is it?

My Dad had a Dauphine in the late 60's, his first "Foreign" car. I only had a chance to drive it a few times before he sold it for a Mustang.

Thanks for the story and the pics.

mike

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette HalfDork
8/4/10 4:34 p.m.

Nice story and a great trip , classic car trips add a lot of history as the miles go by . Old iron is made for long trips

Thanks for posting this !

Concours Cars
Concours Cars New Reader
8/5/10 2:44 p.m.

Long trip is right. I did half and my father did the second part. He should be back tonight of tomorrow.

Sownman
Sownman New Reader
8/6/10 12:52 p.m.

My first driving lesson was in Dads Dauphine. Does yours have the two tone "country/city" horn. There was a Duaphine for sale at Checered Flag in MDR about a year ago and it sure was tempting. I don't even have time or money right now to keep up with my Sunbeam let alone take on another project.

Steve

Concours Cars
Concours Cars New Reader
8/9/10 4:42 p.m.

I does have the two tone horn. This car will be up for sale soon, but I would stick with the Sunbeam.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
caVd1nnXhD1ZqAnMwbt4dslDbODTpePEiu6GagvP5xPhCMlzh2dGt1x28V8wUgpy