nathanjame
nathanjame
5/11/18 5:06 a.m.

‎1963 Lister Costin Le Mans Prototype

This is the unique spaceframe Lister, which was recommissioned for the 1963 Le Mans to run in the experimental class against cars like the Ferrari 330 LMB, Maserati 151 and Aston Project cars. Frank Costin was in charge of the design of the coupe body and many of his trademark cues can be seen in the resulting aluminium bodywork built by Playford Engineering. The chassis was fitted with a fuel injected version of the familiar Jaguar engine. The fixed head Lister was raced at Le Mans by Peter Sargent and Peter Lumsden, but retired early in the race with clutch problems. It was raced once more in 1964, but with little success. The new body was subsequently replaced with a more common open body following the Costin design of 1958. In recent years the car has been restored to its 1963 Le Mans configurations and is raced regularly in historic events. It is pictured above during the 2006 and 2007 Goodwood Revival Meetings.

Country of origin Great Britain
Chassis number BHL 136
Numbers built one-off
Produced in 1963
Body design Frank Costin

Engine
Configuration Jaguar XK Straight 6
Location Front, longitudinally mounted
Construction cast-iron block, aluminium alloy head
Displacement 3.785 liter / 231 cu in
Bore / Stroke 87.0 mm (3.4 in) / 106.0 mm (4.2 in)
Compression 9.5:1
Valvetrain 2 valves / cylinder, DOHC
Fuel feed 3 Weber Carburettors
Aspiration Naturally Aspirated
Power 306 bhp / 228 KW @ 5500 rpm
Torque 434 Nm / 320 ft lbs @ 4500 rpm
BHP/Liter 81 bhp / liter

Drivetrain
Chassis aluminium body on steel spaceframe
Front suspension double wishbones, coil springs over telescopic shock absorbers
Rear suspension DeDion axle, twin trailing arms, coil springs over telescopic shock absorbers
Steering rack-and-pinion
Brakes Girling discs, all-round
Gearbox 4 speed Manual
Drive Rear wheel drive

Dimensions
Weight 1105 kilo / 2436.1 lbs

Performance figures
Power to weight 0.28 bhp / kg
Top Speed 275 km/h
0-60 mph 4.9 s

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/11/18 9:42 a.m.

If you haven't seen it, there's a must-watch video of Chris Harris's experience racing this car at the Revival. I won't spoil the ending, but it's a roller coaster of emotion to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6x2RZB4O6s

Gary
Gary SuperDork
5/12/18 8:37 p.m.

This is what I love about that era. Pundits call it the golden age of sports car racing, and I agree. So much innovation with the technology available at the time. And it was so exciting. Even though the technology today is light years ahead of what was going on in the sixties, it was still more exciting then. Call me an old fart, but I lived it in the era (through R&T, CandD, SCG, and Competition Press/AutoWeek), and I was excited. Not so much today, even though I still follow it.

Our Preferred Partners
ulGWJTGpI6ND9GM1NuSYRvuy6fxwe27bMiLwCaOkN36yscACnzYkFPO9ymFKF74f