kill No Cone
kill No Cone New Reader
2/9/17 6:24 p.m.

Hello group, I was thinking or buying this car for a restomod, yet it is 3,000 miles away from me. Who is up for a dream car, that is a little rough? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lotus-Elan-Series-3-Body-Shell-Read-Listing-Pickup-Ship-out-Message-us-First-/182442960761?hash=item2a7a72a779:g:VncAAOSw-CpX~wO6&vxp=mtr

JEB

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
2/9/17 7:14 p.m.

It's just a body, well not really it's halfs of 2 different bodies sort of screwed together.

Left front of one and right rear of another.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
2/9/17 7:49 p.m.
Kill No Cone
Kill No Cone New Reader
2/10/17 11:20 a.m.

If you talk with the seller, he has a frame too.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/10/17 11:26 a.m.
Dave
Dave Reader
2/10/17 11:59 a.m.

Would make a cool body for a Locost style build (I realize the Locost frame wouldn't fit).

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
2/10/17 1:18 p.m.

Don't need a frame, just stick it over a Miata and get the best of both worlds, vintage and modern.

Kill No Cone
Kill No Cone New Reader
2/10/17 2:44 p.m.

I had dreams of buying the body and frame and then taking everything else from a miata to build it. The present, once influenced by the past, now rebuilding the two into a current restomod. Well, it was a sweet dream.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/10/17 7:35 p.m.
Dave wrote: Would make a cool body for a Locost style build (I realize the Locost frame wouldn't fit).

When I see Europas, all I can think is a structural CF tunnel. Somewhat like a stripped modern formula car. that would be interesting.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/10/17 10:02 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Dave wrote: Would make a cool body for a Locost style build (I realize the Locost frame wouldn't fit).
When I see Europas, all I can think is a structural CF tunnel. Somewhat like a stripped modern formula car. that would be interesting.

Why stop with just the tunnel?

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
2/10/17 10:18 p.m.
petegossett wrote:
alfadriver wrote:

agreed, seems like a great beginning to something unbelievably awesome.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
2/10/17 10:23 p.m.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/11/17 8:23 a.m.
Rufledt wrote:
petegossett wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
agreed, seems like a great beginning to something unbelievably awesome.

If you can find good molds.

I kind of figured that the shape of the tunnel integrated with the front and rear suspension is basic enough that it could be done reasonably well at home.

It's also small enough that the curing device for the CF could be fabricated at home. It needs to be overbuilt to compensate for the lack of an actual autoclave, but I think it would still be light and STRONG enough to make a Europa quite the car.

And it would be funny to see a clapped out Europa body that fast.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/11/17 9:22 a.m.

That looks infinitely better than the car Tim is currently working on: Restoration Impossible

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
2/11/17 12:06 p.m.

Be careful! That guy is the Marquis de Sade.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MNwiUtBUmiNR3EDTxnqUhmAsjkYIhYtMdwaX0crxqWdD8863L2TjEkYE3wMstq4F