Hokie69
Hokie69 New Reader
1/10/19 9:59 a.m.

Just started picking up the pcs. of a new project. The most challenging I've ever attempted. Friend of mine and his son totally disassembled a 1973 MGB 10-to 15 years ago. No further work done. Body in white, on a trolley; engine rebuilt. Should occupy me for months, if not years. I've had project MG's, Triumphs and BMWs in the past, but stared as complete cars. So, I'm diving into the deep end !

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
1/10/19 10:07 a.m.

Please define "body in white" as it applies to your project. Did you get a new Heritage shell as a foundation?

I can pretty much assemble these cars in my sleep with a beer in one hand. Yell if you need help.

Pete

Hokie69
Hokie69 New Reader
1/10/19 10:21 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Probably used the wrong description; body was taken down to bare metal to determine condition. Several OEM replacement sheet metal panels go along w/ the car, incl. new floor pans. I'll probably buy a new wiring harness to avoid most of the issues w/ grounds and shorts. May look into new brake lines as well. Thanks for the offer; I'll be touch if I get stuck. For now, it's sorting and figuring how what's ok and what's not.\

Steve

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
1/10/19 5:46 p.m.

In reply to Hokie69 :

Standing by then. Rust repair on MGBs is kinda a specialty of mine. Just did a walk-through for a guy on the MGexperience board. About halfway down the page.

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3870863

Pete

wspohn
wspohn Dork
1/12/19 11:54 a.m.

Yeah - do not do what too many owners do and just slap a new rocker panel over the rotted castle sections and structure inderneath. Those unibody cars need everything in order for torsional rigidity!  Paull knows whereof he speaks!

steve00136
steve00136 New Reader
1/14/19 6:35 a.m.

Bought a running project 1975 MGB Roadster a year ago. Bodywork and paintwork good just a lot of tinkering till i drove another MGB and realise the gearstick was very sloppy. Engine and gearbox now out and found selectors very badly worn. These selectors seem very scarce so may have to repair or find a cheap gearbox to use as spares.

All good fun - i keep a blog of the jobs i have done on the car at www.mymgb.info if you are interested.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
1/14/19 9:16 a.m.

In reply to steve00136 :

Steve:

Unless things have changed over the last few years, it would be much cheaper to buy a used 4 synchro box thanto restore what you have. The 4 syncs tend to be bulletproof and rare to see one sell for even $100.

Pete

Hokie69
Hokie69 New Reader
2/9/19 9:11 a.m.

Finally got the body and engine/trans to my garage last week.  Body in worse ship then I realized, now that it's in the light of day; a LOT of rust in the front part of rockers; etc., and a few riveted repair panels.  I'm looking for a decent shell to transfer the running gear and try to sell/salvage this one. The engine appears to be a 1969 unit, which has a few more HP than the 1974's. I've put Marvel Mystery in the cyl's to soak before I try turning it over. 

Would appreciate leads on potential bodies in the mid Atlantic area.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/9/19 10:04 a.m.

I have a rust free shell that comes with a few extra parts attached.

OD gearbox

knock off alloys wheels

4 link coil over rear suspension

new interior and seats

brand new front suspension

paint

$6000 USD

Hokie69
Hokie69 New Reader
2/9/19 10:17 a.m.

Really nice looking car; always preferred the GT's.

Little more than I wanted to spend at this point.

Thanks,

Steve

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/9/19 10:22 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Why are you at the wrong end of another country? Dangit...

Hokie69
Hokie69 New Reader
2/9/19 11:21 a.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Do you deliver ???

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/9/19 1:22 p.m.

In reply to Hokie69 :

Its got a few spare parts under the hood also. Maybe part it out to hep fiance your build?

Pete

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/11/19 9:12 a.m.

That GT looks like a nice car and a good deal at $6000

Hokie69
Hokie69 New Reader
2/17/19 5:19 p.m.

Just picked up a complete less engine, 1973 MGB GT w/ a good body. So, i don't have to start from scratch w/ wiring and major body work. I now have a basement full of extra MGB parts; incl.  a bare roadster body needing substantial sheet metal work. Let me know if anyone needs parts; body, electrical, air cleaners; etc. I'll post details in the "parts for sale" shortly. I'm in Winchester , VA

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DviM9EM4psfn5GarTyBoJb5crqT2s0P2uCbd5al6xVVPMXXR21er7menrB72jvs2