bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
4/23/20 6:00 p.m.

Saw a Mustang II sitting by the local ice cream shop for sale over the weekend, stopped by  next day to take an actual look at it and it was gone.  Cruising fb marketplace today and I saw it posted. Details given are 78, 2.8 V6, 4 speed hatchback. He's asking $3500, which I think is way off base. Pictures look like it is an old car, light blue exterior, light blue interior, and decent overall shape. Pictures didn't show any glaring rust issues.

I'm not crazy on the exterior or interior colors. Would prefer a V8 or 2.3 Lima, but the V6 could make a decent, old quasi fun car. An old roommate had a 2.3 coupe 4 speed that was surprisingly fun to drive all out at only vaguely illegal speeds.  Seemed like the limits were low enough to have fun with.

I'm thinking $2000 tops but would love some input.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/23/20 8:32 p.m.

I like them. I don't know about value but $2000-$3500 does not seem high to me for a decent driver. But if you have to dump multiples of $1000 (bodywork, engine etc) then you would have a pretty ho hum car that you have quite a bit into.

But a few dollars on some lipstick and you could have this...

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/23/20 8:33 p.m.
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/20 9:02 p.m.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
4/23/20 9:29 p.m.

Is the tank full or empty?

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/24/20 7:33 a.m.

M II's are finally starting to gain some interest. If that car is in decent driver shape it is totally worth that now. I've seen some for up to $5000. Cobra II's are a different ball game and command a premium but the market seems to be 'confused' right now as to what they should be worth.

Now, those prices would be for something that doesn't need much other than a basic cleanup or refresh. Anything that is calling for a 'restoration' isn't worth much because you aren't going to find parts without a struggle.

I also wouldn't be excited about finding a V8 model as they were dog-slow, had a very weak transmission and rear end and the extra weight did the handling no favors. I actually think the 2.8 V6 is the best compromise in those.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/24/20 8:12 a.m.

Get an old Celica instead.

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
4/24/20 9:47 a.m.

For those that are interested: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/524949351553700/

From the pictures, the back bumper looks a little squirrely and uneven, I suspect the bumper bar and or supports are rotted out.

Semi-related, does everybody run American Racing Outlaws on these? They are not the worst looking wheel, particularly the models with holes as opposed to the solid face, but good lord, there have to be some other options that would look period correct!

wspohn
wspohn Dork
4/25/20 2:55 p.m.
Woody said:

Poor quality control - that hood ornament is off centre!

RobertJr7
RobertJr7
3/14/23 9:45 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin :

Would you know the wheel and tire sizes on this one? Rear and front

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lRn6jGCOlWt6CTTELaSIOQBv5N0O8KPLmyq2XPmRguIQCUyj1HTyqyAIkhIRaH9S