1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
8/15/14 4:43 p.m.

Progress is slow. Please stop ordering wheels so I can work on this car more LOL. Oh, I meant "Please order more wheels so I can afford parts for this car".

Today is brought to you by the letter Oil Pump.

and Cleaning pistons. I used gasoline and a soft wire brush. A lot of grease from my elbows helped too.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
8/19/14 1:37 p.m.

I went through my parts stash over the weekend. It's amazing what I have. Am I missing anything though?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
8/22/14 7:01 a.m.

So I'm ready to start putting this engine back together but I'm still not 100% convinced my refurbished head is correct for the WX engine. Are the 38mm intake valves and slightly smaller cam lobes stock for the WX?

Of course I will need a head gasket and apparently new head bolts for this job. I assume these should all be OE right? Any suggestions where to buy (USA preferably). I'll obviously need a few other seals and gaskets but I might have them in my parts stash already. If you noticed anything that wasn't pictured above let me know.

Time to turn the corner on this project.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
8/22/14 9:41 a.m.

Oops, sorry. I forgot to post these two pictures. First one shows the oil and coolant passages on both heads, To me they seem identical.

I'm a bit concerned about how some of the oil and coolant passages were seemingly blocked (red) or partially blocked (yellow) by the old head gasket. Is this normal?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
8/24/14 10:05 a.m.

It looks like my refurbished head has hydraulic valves after all so it was decided to refurbish the head that came off. To that end I ripped into it. Not sure it's going to work out though.

Can it be salvaged?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
8/25/14 7:41 p.m.

So I took the refurbished head apart to see if it really has hydraulic lifters. Indeed it does.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
8/26/14 12:04 p.m.

Paul, I don't think you're getting as much traffic over here on the Classic site as on the main GRM site because Classic threads don't appear when you click 'latest topics' or 'Your posts' from the main page. You might want to start a specific thread over on GRM to ask about the scoring of the cam bearings and journals. I ran worse in my Imp days, but I was a broke kid back then and couldn't have done anything about it if I wanted too.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
8/26/14 12:51 p.m.

Good point.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
8/29/14 10:06 p.m.

More head research. I wanted to make sure the rebuilt head would get it's required oil feed if I just bolted it on to the block to I back-fed brake cleaner through a few of the lifter oil supply holes and guess what? It feeds through an existing port which is common to the cam bearings. Therefore it should get the oil feed it needs, right?

Now I just need a gasket and bolts. I checked the head thickness by the way: same as my old head.

I also acquired a third head for the sake of research. This was bought by a friend for use on a "10 valve turbo" engine but of unknown origin. He had it rebuilt but it doesn't have a cam. Intake valves are 38mm for what it's worth.

The part number (casting number) and in fact the head itself are exactly the same as my rebuilt head. Researching the part/casting number produced a few hits suggesting it belongs to an Audi 5000 turbo. Interesting no?

So I think I'm ready to commit my rebuilt head to the block. I guess I should check that first though eh?

Adrian_Thompson
9/9/14 1:29 p.m.

Crickets chirping

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
9/9/14 1:53 p.m.

Yes, sorry. Been busy with other stuff. I did mange to compile a list of required parts and part numbers today though.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/12/14 10:42 p.m.

Still enjoying the read.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
9/13/14 10:51 a.m.

Sorry about the lack of updates. Been busy with domestic stuff and wheel sales. I did manage to cobble together a list of parts. Some of the part numbers might be right.

If you have any of these or any correction or even something I've missed please let me know.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
9/25/14 4:56 p.m.

I've ordered around $1000 of parts from Jeff at Sunset Porsche-Audi and ECS but I'm missing a few hard to find NLA type pars. Perhaps you can help?

clutch slave cylinder 1
hall sender 1 035905065a intake manifold bolt 1 N0147112 subframe bushings rear 2 857199419B

Anyone have any of these or a source let me know. Keen to slap this thing back together.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
9/28/14 5:35 p.m.

Uh oh, parts list just got bigger due to ECS's overly ambitious inventory system.

Now need:

clutch slave cylinder 1 hall sender 1 035905065a intake manifold bolt 1 N0147112 subframe bushings rear 2 857199419B cam belt cover rear 1 035109143 *head gasket 1 035 103 383 J * lower cam belt cover 1 069109110

Parts marked * are going to hold me up :(

Anybody have any ideas?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
10/22/14 2:13 p.m.

Parts are starting to show up now. Going to be out of excuses soon.

Unfortunately I think these injector holders and the one injector are going to be wrong for this head.

But all this stuff is going to be appropriate.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
10/24/14 12:36 p.m.

Uh oh. One these things is not like the other.

The old engine mount on the left is 431199381N. The new one I ordered is 431199381J

Which one should I be using?

pav5069
pav5069 New Reader
10/29/14 10:43 p.m.

Wow is all I can say. Your car is perfect and you are doing a great job showing your build thread.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
10/30/14 6:39 a.m.

Well thank you.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
11/26/14 12:00 p.m.

I may be back on Quattro duty! The brief disruption to service was caused by us taking on more space and building a new home for the cars. There's space for a red Quattro too:

That done I got stuck into the Quattro this week. Cleaned up the injector holders, added new seals and reinstalled the cam. Whatever next?

Rigged-up idler pulley puller. Very effective.

Installed new seal and pulley and reinstalled the oil pump.

I couldn't find any marks to line up right now so this is a close to #1 at TDC as I could eyeball:

and with #1 valves all closed that should be close enough for now right? Head is on but not torqued down yet.

Missing some parts so will have to work on other aspects of the project over the holiday. Is it true it's best to use TWO crankshaft seal cover gaskets to move the lip of the seal out of the old wear groove?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
12/1/14 9:03 p.m.

Now then, back to the business in hand. I torqued down the head bolts today. Boy, what a lot of effort. I hate torqueing head bolts. I always expect one to strip but they never have, yet. No pics; it looked just the same afterwards, sorry. I did paint the tinware though. Used Rustoleum instead of POR15. Way cheaper and probably fine for this application.

Tomorrow, if time permits, I will try to get this and the timing belt on. Or maybe the oil pan, or perhaps the valve cover. Something will get bolted to something.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/3/14 1:39 p.m.

So, true to my word, I did bolt some things to other things today. Got the cam belt cover on. I would say "back on" but the engine didn't have one before!

and the cam pulley, crank pulley and cam belt.

]

and the valve cover

and even the oil pick up tube!

However, I'm not sure the timing is right yet so everything is still loose. What do you think, close enough:

I'm thinking maybe 1 tooth off on the cam end. Will it still turn safely one tooth out?

Adrian_Thompson
12/3/14 2:05 p.m.

Zero experience with these funny foreign jobs, Nothing further East than Essex. But that looks a long way off. Even if it will turn over, why risk it? Can you grab a hammer, sorry dial gauge and magnetic base from H.F. and start from scratch setting TDC exact then re-ding the belt?

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/3/14 2:51 p.m.

Hammer. Check.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata Reader
12/6/14 4:30 p.m.

Got some new engine mounts yesterday. These should do the trick.

Bolted the oil pan on. Had to replace a few missing screw!

Then bolted some things onto the left side

and then to the right side

I'm going to try to make one of these heat shields because I can't find one anywhere. Does anyone know what color they were painted?

Last thing today I moved the car off the hoist and staged it in our showroom. The 911 that was there needs transmission work and has to be running soon so it's time to switch focus. I do intend getting the intake and exhaust mounted and mating up the transmission first though. If nothing else just to make some room in the shop. Cars in bits seem to take up a lot of space.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5hUdryPLsDkygrwbVYARCi3y7SeAr1A3qIeEohvAXTntSXucY2sVIz2ATWZFgmFK