David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/9/19 11:42 a.m.

Illustrations by Sarah Young

Three topics that always prove to be controversial: religion, politics and motor oil.

We can’t help with the first two, but we do know about oil–or, more accurately, we know people who know about motor oil. So we queried their scientific brains on the subject, peppering them with common questions. And the answers flowed.

Read the rest of the story

MGfanatic
MGfanatic New Reader
1/2/24 2:33 p.m.

Two questions. 
1. Several times references to the first viscosity number and "cold" temperatures appear in the answers. Assuming that cold does not apply to engine temperature but does apply to ambient temperature, what temperature is considered "cold"?

2. My MGBs use motor oil in the transmission. Is full synthetic oil suitable for my transmissions? 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/3/24 4:39 p.m.

The “cold” viscosity number is determined via SAE standard J300. My understanding is that the temperature is measured at various points. (It’s never an easy answer, is it?)

The “hot” viscosity number measures the oil’s rate of flow at 212 degrees Fahrenheit.

For the second question, we got with Carl Heideman at Eclectic Motorworks:

The answer to the 2nd question is that non-overdrive MGB gearboxes last forever with conventional motor oil and we haven't seen benefits to synthetics. We have seen overdrive gearboxes be very fussy about oil and wouldn't recommend synthetic.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fm9EuU0BHnetVl2zTPqQcFaWhBsO3RdxZp3aI0Ho9pqCZoKnbB5RNwUl348hXiaT