David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/12/13 8:47 a.m.

Some reading for the group:

http://classicmotorsports.net/articles/depreciation-station-1997-2004-aston-martin-db7/

What is your current best buy?

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
3/12/13 9:45 a.m.

I just bought my DB7 back. This is the first time I have ever bought a car back. These cars are terrific and am happy to help with any questions anyone might have.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/12/13 12:25 p.m.

The recent Wheeler Dealers with the DB7 in conjunction with the seeing the DB9s at the GrandAM event a couple of weeks go (I know, V8 vs i6/V12) made me NEED a DB7.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
3/13/13 2:14 p.m.

They are wonderful. I absolutely love mine and honestly do not know what I could replace it with.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
3/13/13 2:52 p.m.

Oh, how time flies.

David, do you remember when I posted that the DB7 Vantage was the first real production car I worked on? I didn't post anything about it until it was actually released, but that was a pretty fun program to work on. And I posted that way back on one of the previous boards.

The first fire of that V12 was during my honeymoon in 1995, and I got a few solid years of regular trips to England. The facility in Newport Pagnell was a literal example of a "cottage industry" since AML HQ at the time was in an actual cottage.

After I finished that, someone else in my department did more of the calibration work, and quickly AML move basically to Gaydon. Now I'm not sure where they are.

Learned a lot about Cosworth Engineering as well as Lotus Engineering working on the V12.

Great car- maybe I should try to find one.

Highlights Driving the very first DB7 V12. (and having it in my driveway when they sent it here to the US)

Cold weather trip where we spent an afternoon drifting the car around a 400ft ice circle.

Driving the Indigo.

Taking a DB7 from the factory on a 2 hour drive just because they told me to. Found some things to fix.

I do wish I could have done more calibration work, but it was still fun.

(yes, it's based off the Taurus enigne. But it's not welded together..)

Eric

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/13/13 8:52 p.m.

I really didn't need another car that I could barely afford and now desperately want.

Andy, what's your view on the prices for these? Close to bottom or do they still a way to go?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/14/13 2:02 p.m.

Each issue of Classic Motorsports has a Depreciation Station, and we're putting a few online. The online ones can be found in the Buyer Guide section: http://classicmotorsports.net/articles/?topic=2

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
3/14/13 3:56 p.m.

Wow... British V12 convertible for $32K???

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=19021&endYear=2014&modelCode1=DB7&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=ASTON&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&firstRecord=26&sellerTypes=b&searchRadius=0&mmt=%5BASTON%5BDB7%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=333742231&listingIndex=11&Log=0

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
3/17/13 6:31 p.m.

My view is that prices, especially on the I6 cars, are bottomed and starting to climb. I honestly do not think they would ever get cheaper than they are now.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
3/18/13 9:50 a.m.

Absolutely. I recommend them but they can have expensive parts. The mechanicals are very reliable and they are stunning looking. The best source for parts and info is Chiltern Aston Martin, they are the DB7 experts world wide.

Andy Reid
Andy Reid Auction Editor
3/19/13 9:31 a.m.

Just to feed the fire, check out this video review done by Jeremy Clarkson in the old Top Gear. Realize that this is a very early production car, a 1995 model, and that the cars were vastly improved by the time we got them in 1997.

Top Gear Aston Martin I6 DB7 review

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sjnTJDKVx8ICedM9BDFQlYMIjsjVS0sFrgMWPmHfd3BjXLipjmhph7khEbOKgJvg