The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
2/13/18 2:33 p.m.

Story By Randy Pobst • Photos by Tom Suddard

The phone rings and it’s Louis Milone, the old crew chief from my days driving Audi sedans for Champion Racing. He has a can’t-refuse offer: Would I like to drive with them at HSR’s Classic 12 Hours of Sebring? A bit of a classic myself, but with a competitive fire still burning in the hearth, I answer with a resounding yes.

After a lifelong career as a pro road racer, I have driven many high-level modern race machines. I drove under factory contracts with Porsche, Audi, Mazda and Volvo. We scored championships in turbocharged, all-wheel-drive racers from Audi and Volvo. We won twice at the Rolex 24 At Daytona in Porsche 911 race cars, and we finished top five in both a tube-frame Camaro and a tube-frame Mazda RX-8.

I’ve sampled a current BMW DTM car, a Lamborghini Huracán GT3, and even the very same Audi R18 e-tron quattro prototype that won at the 24 Hours of Le Mans just three months later. These modern marvels use 21st-century technology like advanced tires, anti-lock brakes, electronic engine management and traction control, sequential and now paddle-shifting transmissions, carbon-fiber chassis and suspension, and even a hybrid diesel-electric drivetrain with a 40,000 rpm energy-storing flywheel.

Read the rest of the story

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
8/2/18 8:29 p.m.

Sound like a fantastic ride.  Thank you for taking us along.

noddaz

Our Preferred Partners
bP2DAMikPHTwrpmK0khmA18tY9BtnlrvgY4JntrAERwvFvgbZsGy6jy0JevB0CiU