1 2
NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
11/14/20 9:40 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I'm disappointed in what you did here Frenchy and hope no one else responds after this post so the thread dies.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
11/14/20 9:47 a.m.

Moonshine in the trunk ?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/14/20 9:57 a.m.

I think I understand the post title now. 

He's asking if you can buy a big block camaro for under $500. In a way to compare the deals you can find for v12 XJS's. 

But, the problems are:

- XJS vs BBC Camaros cant be compared. The XJS doesnt command the same monetary value and they're just two different types of vehicles.

- Jag v12 vs BBC power output comparison is pointless. Especially with how you (Frenchy) use a convoluted way of measuring the power of a chevy engine from one particular era and completely dismiss all the different forms the BBC came in.  As well as dismissing their take to mods and the size of the aftermarket. All while overstating and incorrectly preaching how the jag v12 takes to mods, power, etc. You've been proven wrong in other forums without ever providing proof of your claims.

- The way you went about this thread just to post the same E36 M3 over and over (some correct some incorrect info) is dubious and in ill-taste. Borderline trolling.

- Your mix of facts and bias driven false-info is really cluttering and diluting the Jag v12 info on this forum. At this point, if a person was to search info on an XJS or Jag v12 they'd be faced with a wealth of great information and a wealth of equally incorrect ramblings of a biased senile old man. To discern between the two would be impossible for anyone who doesn't already have strong foundational knowledge on the subject.

Frenchy, you're doing more harm than good inregards to Jag V12 information. It's silly and frustrating at the same time. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/14/20 12:31 p.m.
yupididit said:
frenchyd said:

It's a barn find. Low mileage.  Might be a bit of surface rust from being stored the past 30-40 years.  Leather interior is hard and some seams have split. Grandpa babied this car,  never drove it in the winter or rain. Serviced by the dealer it's whole life. Ran the last time Grandpa drove it into the barn. (Doesn't run now) 

Now the bad news, we can't find the tittle  or keys so it's only good for parts, or Racing.  Bill of sale.  

I don't know much about it. The truck has XJS on one side and V12 on the other. I guess the dealer was someone called Jaguar. 

So there's a big block camaro with no title that has v12 and Jaguar on each side of the truck? $500 with a bill of sale. 

Am I miss stating the horsepower of the pre SAE net engines or are you thinking Gross horsepower was real numbers?   
What do you believe a 396 or 427 actually put out in the car the way modern engines are rated?    
       Or?  How much gross horsepower do you believe a V12 would make if rated the same way it was done in the past?   You are aware of the way it was done back then.  

Do I believe a ZL1 Corvette made a lot of power?  Sure. The few that were made.  But since mere mortals  can not afford them it's kinda moot isn't it? 

The reality is we are GRMers.  Racing on a modest budget.  While once in a while we might stumble on a big block Chevy engine.  It won't be cheap. Nor will it be in a $500 junker. 
It will also have a cast Iron crankshaft and hydraulic lifters etc. and likely put out less than a new one will which was 230 horsepower. So a Jaguar Jaguar V12 with 264 is at least 10% more powerful. The Jaguar also has a forged crankshaft and all aluminum everything. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/14/20 12:48 p.m.
frenchyd said:
yupididit said:

In reply to 03Panther :

I know he has good info but he dilutes it with bad info too. I frequent his favorite parts of the jag forums too. I get twice the dosage except he's a bit more tamed there. 

He might be going through something or i don't know. I hope he's well though. 

Thank you.  It's like I see $100 dollar bills just out of my reach  and I'm trying to tell fellow racers to pick them up.  Note; I've never said pick one up and restore it?  

Note: you never actually posted anything for sale. You never actually said what is for sale. In all the posts you never actually said anything except the same old  jags are better because you can buy them cheap, (as long as you don't expect to be able to ever sell it) and then LOTS of unrelated info, that may or may not be correct. And argue with people that didn't say what you are arguing about.  

If you expect someone to be able to pick those mystical 100's up, you have to actually post information.  Not just regurgitate words that don't fit togather. Choose quality words, over quanity!!!

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/14/20 12:55 p.m.
frenchyd said:
yupididit said:
frenchyd said:

It's a barn find. Low mileage.  Might be a bit of surface rust from being stored the past 30-40 years.  Leather interior is hard and some seams have split. Grandpa babied this car,  never drove it in the winter or rain. Serviced by the dealer it's whole life. Ran the last time Grandpa drove it into the barn. (Doesn't run now) 

Now the bad news, we can't find the tittle  or keys so it's only good for parts, or Racing.  Bill of sale.  

I don't know much about it. The truck has XJS on one side and V12 on the other. I guess the dealer was someone called Jaguar. 

So there's a big block camaro with no title that has v12 and Jaguar on each side of the truck? $500 with a bill of sale. 

Am I miss stating the horsepower of the pre SAE net engines or are you thinking Gross horsepower was real numbers?   
What do you believe a 396 or 427 actually put out in the car the way modern engines are rated?    
       Or?  How much gross horsepower do you believe a V12 would make if rated the same way it was done in the past?   You are aware of the way it was done back then.  

Do I believe a ZL1 Corvette made a lot of power?  Sure. The few that were made.  But since mere mortals  can not afford them it's kinda moot isn't it? 

The reality is we are GRMers.  Racing on a modest budget.  While once in a while we might stumble on a big block Chevy engine.  It won't be cheap. Nor will it be in a $500 junker. 
It will also have a cast Iron crankshaft and hydraulic lifters etc. and likely put out less than a new one will which was 230 horsepower. So a Jaguar Jaguar V12 with 264 is at least 10% more powerful. The Jaguar also has a forged crankshaft and all aluminum everything. 

Not one single word in your reply, relates to anything in the 4 paragraphs in the quote. Or anything said in any post on this thread. I understand you were probably drunk when you that the original post was good plan, but have you had that much to drink already today?

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/14/20 1:18 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Imagine a really fast, powerful, Miata  that only a few informed people knew about. 

Hehe. So good it’s like two Miatas for the price of one!

If we’re measuring by the pound :P

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
11/14/20 1:21 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) :

3x 4 cyl Miatas = V12 Jag

johndej
johndej Dork
11/14/20 2:47 p.m.

Mguar found a car... surprise...it's another jaguar!

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/14/20 5:19 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Maybe we just see things from a different point?

I don't see cars as investments. To be polished and glorified. Put on display and fawned over. 
I see them as potential race cars. How fast will they go for how little money.  
As an old Geezer on a limited budget I prefer the older TransAm  type  cars rather than attempting to stay at the front of the pack of modern cars. 
There is absolutely no way I can do that with Camaro's, Mustangs, or Cuda's  

First the buy in would be too high even for junkyard hulks to turn into a tribute car. That plus the cost of equipping them with race quality parts even second hand would be too far out of my reach

A Group 44 tribute car could be done for challenge money.    

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/14/20 5:21 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

So what do 3 semi decent Miata's cost?  

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/14/20 5:41 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to yupididit :

I don't see cars as investments. To be polished and glorified. Put on display and fawned over. 
As an old Geezer on a limited budget I prefer the older TransAm  type  cars rather than attempting to stay at the front of the pack of modern cars. 

Why are you being argumentative with yepididit with things he did not even say? You put up a post with a car for sale, that only exists in your mind. Then argue with people that want to know what is for sale. You then include yourself as a fellow GRM'er. But sir, I respectfully submit that you creating false ads is not proper behavior, so don't include yourself with respectable GRM folks..

At this point I wager you cannot even provide information about the jag you claim is for sale.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/14/20 6:00 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

What would you like to know? How many would you like to buy?  I've seen an average of 3 Jaguar XJSV12's  a month under $500  all summer long.  Like I said there is a 79 in Texas that has a cash value of $250 coming up for auction.  If I look I'm sure there are more. Between Craigslist, Facebook, and insurance auction places they are out there. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/14/20 6:03 p.m.
03Panther said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to yupididit :

Why are you being argumentative with yepididit with things he did not even say? You put up a post with a car for sale, that only exists in your mind. Then argue with people that want to know what is for sale. You then include yourself as a fellow GRM'er. But sir, I respectfully submit that you creating false ads is not proper behavior, so don't include yourself with respectable GRM folks..

At this point I wager you cannot even provide information about the jag you claim is for sale.

Why did you cut off the first sentence?   I wish I could include things like you do. You'd see the exact words I was responding to. 

11/14/20 6:14 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Ok, since I’m bored and can’t go do anything because I’m holding a sleeping baby.

You want to talk about cost?

You could spend $1500 on a ratty Miata, spend a day throwing some fresh tires, brake pads, and fluids at it, and go turn laps for hours.

How much time and/or money would it take to make a neglected old V12 Jaguar hold up to extended track time?

I can’t believe it could be done for much less than whatever three miatas cost.

Comparing the XJS to a Miata just doesn’t make sense, even if the V12 under the hood is some kind of best kept performance bargain secret.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/14/20 6:23 p.m.

Just give the information on the car for sale.... Then you don't have to learn anything, or explain why you argue about things not said. I can actually read. Its obvious you intentionally misconstrue things folks say, so you can repeat stuff WE DON'T CARE about. And you'll notice, well YOU will probably choose not to notice, that no one but me has replied to you... Only to each other. 

There is NO POINT to any word in this post unless there is actually a car for sale. 

Put up, or let this post die, since the title and post is prolly a LIE from the start.

Unless the next post has contact information for either a Camaro w/BB, or a jag ( since the title spears to be a lie) I'm out, and will move on.

If any of this confuses you, or you need help with whatever, feel free to contract me directly.  But I WILL NOT discuss jag if you do!!! Because this is obviously not about cars at all.  I don't know what its is about, but it ain't cars!

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/14/20 6:25 p.m.
03Panther said:

Just give the information on the car for sale.... Then you don't have to learn anything, or explain why you argue about things not said. I can actually read. Its obvious you intentionally misconstrue things folks say, so you can repeat stuff WE DON'T CARE about. And you'll notice, well YOU will probably choose not to notice, that no one but me has replied to you... Only to each other. 

There is NO POINT to any word in this post unless there is actually a car for sale. 

Put up, or let this post die, since the title and post is prolly a LIE from the start.

Unless the next post has contact information for either a Camaro w/BB, or a jag ( since the title spears to be a lie) I'm out, and will move on.

If any of this confuses you, or you need help with whatever, feel free to contract me directly.  But I WILL NOT discuss jag if you do!!! Because this is obviously not about cars at all.  I don't know what its is about, but it ain't cars!

I gave you one how many more would you like me to look back up for you?  You really want a cheap Jaguar? Go buy one. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/14/20 7:06 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:
frenchyd said:

Ok, since I’m bored and can’t go do anything because I’m holding a sleeping baby.

You could spend $1500 on a ratty Miata, spend a day throwing some fresh tires, brake pads, and fluids at it, and go turn laps for hours.

How much time and/or money would it take to make a neglected old V12 Jaguar hold up to extended track time?

Comparing the XJS to a Miata just doesn’t make sense, even if the V12 under the hood is some kind of best kept performance bargain secret.

I paid $500 Mine which was running before the previous owner took parts off to upgrade and got distracted.  To turn laps all that would have been required is to put it together again and do whatever upgrades I wanted to.   

Jaguars are wonderfully reliable race cars. Winning LeMans 7 times. I raced one for decades with very little maintenance, and no repairs. Talk to Group 44 or Tom Walkinshaw.  They raced  and won with few non factory parts. 
      I pulled my Black Jack out of a field with a free growing up through the middle of it and was racing it months later. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/14/20 7:08 p.m.

Tree not free darn spell check 

johndej
johndej Dork
11/14/20 7:09 p.m.

Here are the ones less that $1k can find within 500 miles of Richmond VA. Got a link advertising the car in Texas?

https://wv.craigslist.org/atq/d/rhoadesville-all-antiques/7216737670.html no pics $500 from a property removal place

https://cnj.craigslist.org/pts/d/somerville-1984-jaguar-xjs-v12/7225392824.html no pics but asking $500

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/pts/d/marlborough-1984-jaguar-xjs-v12-parts/7222537136.html $700 bad motor

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/14/20 8:29 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

Thank you for doing that for me. 
For the Texas car, Look on IAAI's site. Sorry I'm a Luddite and don't know how to do links. 

As far as the Jag in Boston with a "bad engine"  don't be surprised if the engine itself is good but a sensor or some other fuel injection part is bad.  When I was collecting Jaguar V12's out of 50 V12's only two were actually bad. These were engines the owners gave me or I paid very little for them because the shops found they could make more money swapping in Chevy's than they could by fixing the problems with the fuel injection. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
11/14/20 9:01 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:
frenchyd said:

Sorry, I think I can answer you better by explaining how I could make a 20XX Challenge  car.  Mine came with many boxes of parts for both the standard 5.3 and upgraded parts for a 6.0 ( and paid $500 for it ). In addition it has a brand new mega squirt still in the box.  It would be extremely easy to sell parts off it to recoup whatever is allowed. ( and still have a raceable car ). 
the first thing is a 92 or newer rear end. While I could run up to Wisconsin and come back with one I can also buy a smashed one from the insurance sites for less money.  Then pull the rear end, swap mine back under and sell it for scrap.  Figure $200 or less.  
Gutting and removing undercoating is much easier since I have a rotisserie. ( old geezers need all the help we can get ) 
I've got  a Saenz and a triple disk Tilton aluminum flywheel to put in but FMV would put me way over so for the challenge I'll just plug up the right holes and turn the Turbo 400 into a manual shift. That's free. Well maybe a few cents worth of lead sinkers I'll take from my wife's tackle box. 
     Chopping a coil & 1/2 from the front springs to drop the suspension.  The shocks look newish. The fronts are Bilstiens  who knows what the rears will be. 
     TWR used 17x10's on the front and 17x12's on the rear  without having to flair the fenders. Corvette and Camaro wheels will work. Figure used $150 a wheel?  So  $600   The stock calipers are cast Iron so  Wilwood calipers or later Jaguar R series another $300. 
     I'll trade  the fuel injection for the early carb set up I already have. There simply is no cheap way to make FI work.    
The real cheap bargain is 2 sets of SU carbs off the Rover. Figure about $75 a set locally or $100 a set from Joe Curato.  I've got 60 some sets of SU needles. My best guess is something like UM's or UO's   $1300 plus whatever a seat, seatbelts,  and tires will cost. 

11/15/20 11:03 a.m.
frenchyd said:

...all that would have been required is to put it together again and do whatever upgrades I wanted to...

That was kinda my point...

But you should totally build the awesome $2000 challenge car you have planned. I'll haul it down to Gainesville for ya.

edited: cause I typed more than I needed to.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/15/20 12:02 p.m.

I jumped on the chance to buy a $500 big block Camaro.  

Didn't realize it was a sucker punch.

I wouldn't  take an old Jag if you paid me $2000 to take it off your hands.

I used to like them. But Frenchy, your posts have turned me off to ever owning one. I would never be able to post anything on this site without every thread chasing absurd rabbits that make no sense.

Sorry Frenchy. You have turned me off to Jags.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/15/20 12:08 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

Next year I'll be starting a 6.0 LS swap in a v12 XJS, probably with a 7675 turbo hanging off of it.  That won't interest you? I'm dubbing it the "v8mguar"

crying

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZndJLgJvttA0iMnE0FSBvDs7YfaiBRQr5AUHxnrQi8dZWKYrrbNcmxcC5BNN45TY