914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/2/17 1:43 p.m.

Guy is restoring a Lola T142 Driven by Horst Kroll and can't get information on it. Some thought it was a Bosch sticker but his car was sponsored by Champion.

Thanks, Dan

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/2/17 1:48 p.m.

I can't find a logo that matches that, but Monroe springs to mind. Also, always sponsored by Champion? The rest of the livery sort of suggests some sort of Bosch association...

gjz30075
gjz30075 HalfDork
8/2/17 2:27 p.m.

I see 'Bosch' in two other locations but nary a 'Champion' anywhere. I vote Bosch sticker

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/2/17 2:37 p.m.

I vote for the Bosch one shown.

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
8/2/17 4:49 p.m.

With all of those Bosch stickers, what would make him think that the car was sponsored by Champion Spark Plugs, unless the car in your photo isn't the car that he's restoring?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/17 5:46 p.m.

Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees The Bosch association with that car is pretty clear.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/2/17 7:12 p.m.

I didn't have a huge Tirerack banner, and Sunoco, Bimmerworld, etc decals on my race car because I wanted it there. They gave money to the series in return for the branding on all cars. So, you can't assume that just because HIS sponsor might be a competitor to another that the series does not require the decal due to sponsorship higher up the food chain.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/17 7:23 p.m.

That's an early Grassroots Motorsports sticker.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
8/2/17 8:05 p.m.

Why not ask Horst Kroll Racing?....... https://www.facebook.com/Horst-Kroll-Racing-263872058691/

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
8/3/17 7:04 a.m.

Looks pretty obvious without it, but here's some photoshop:

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/3/17 7:15 a.m.

Thanks guys, I've forwarded you information.

Dan

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/17 7:28 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: I didn't have a huge Tirerack banner, and Sunoco, Bimmerworld, etc decals on my race car because I wanted it there. They gave money to the series in return for the branding on all cars. So, you can't assume that just because HIS sponsor might be a competitor to another that the series does not require the decal due to sponsorship higher up the food chain.

Taking that as far as color-matching the car seems pretty extreme. Especially in the late 60's or early 70's.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/17 7:34 a.m.

That seems right, but to play devil's advocate, the left edge on the car is very slanted, the Bosch sticker is almost vertical. The a piece of the white on the left bleeds far into the black on the right, the Bosh white is in a straight line. There appears to be more than 5 letters in yellow on the car. Maybe.

The placement suggests something related to the engine. I checked some obvious candidates:

They seem to like the checkers on the right. Dunlop used checks, perhaps some version of this?

I notice that spot was most commonly used to display a driver's name or the flag of their country. Is it possible that it was s stylized version of the driver's name?

It could also be a one-race sponsor. Where and when did the car run, what power plant did it have?

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
8/3/17 9:28 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: That seems right, but to play devil's advocate, the left edge on the car is very slanted, the Bosch sticker is almost vertical.

I noticed that as well, but the engine cover would be something other than vertical and therefore there would be some perspective distortion. We're also assuming that the suspected Bosch sticker is the only option for a Bosch sticker. Perhaps there are other in a similar theme.

If Kroll is still around, surely they/he has a better picture of the car.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/3/17 9:33 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Huckleberry wrote: I didn't have a huge Tirerack banner, and Sunoco, Bimmerworld, etc decals on my race car because I wanted it there. They gave money to the series in return for the branding on all cars. So, you can't assume that just because HIS sponsor might be a competitor to another that the series does not require the decal due to sponsorship higher up the food chain.
Taking that as far as color-matching the car seems pretty extreme. Especially in the late 60's or early 70's.

It wasn't clear to me if this was the car or if it was just an example of the decal he was trying to replicate since he said it was sponsored by Champion. No Champion logos - That car is pretty obviously all-in on the Bosch

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
8/3/17 10:09 a.m.

Here's Kroll in another car with a similar, larger Bosch sticker

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/3/17 7:52 p.m.

Found this site showing Kroll's sports racers...

http://www.racingsportscars.com/driver/photo/Horst-Kroll-CDN.html

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4SDonhfhPtCQLs2WpQY6WZYgVt9nnE4HPiLkK3xuz7mYHs0DZ0WDUVTT4Muf7p4v