Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/13/19 3:48 p.m.
feature_image

What makes a Periscopica Countach so special? It has a cutout in the roof, adding a "periscope effect" to the rearview mirror. And only the first 160 cars produced had this feature, with this 1976 Countach LP400 being number 77. Finished in metallic blue with an eye-popping blue and white interior, it's not for the faint of heart. It's currently on offer over at Fantasy Junction for $975,000. 

Read the rest of the story

Gary
Gary SuperDork
9/13/19 7:24 p.m.

Ahh, yes, Marcello Gandini ("Marchello Gandeeni" ... and you have to sing it when you say it) ... I love his work. A prolific Italian car designer who is responsible for so many great Italian car designs in the latter 20th century. (Take that from someone who knows a little bit about car design). This is a beautiful car. And Sofia Loren is a beautiful woman. wink

This classic car is worth every penny as offered. It's a great looking early Countach before the model was spoiled with obscene add-on features. This model has the clean, elegant original Gandini design, before the subsequent awful alterations. Sophia Loren remains true to her original design too, but I couldn't afford her either.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/16/19 11:20 a.m.

Great looking car! Funny how small the wheels look now.

Jordan Rimpela
9/16/19 12:56 p.m.
Robbie said:

Great looking car! Funny how small the wheels look now.

I think the biggest wheels Lamborghini ever offered on the Countach were 15"s. Not exactly optimal for fitting decent brakes. Regardless, the wheels just look right. 

wspohn
wspohn Dork
9/16/19 1:35 p.m.

Yup - and in a size very hard to get - 345x35-15, unprecedented at the time. Pirelli only makes a batch every few years and they'll set you back around $2,000 a set.  You can even get a modern tread pattern in the  P Zeros, at only $3600 a set....

Tberg
Tberg New Reader
9/24/19 9:44 p.m.

The Countach, for me, remains one of the ugliest car designs in history, and marks the beginning of the degradation of Lamborghini design ever since.  Look at the Lambo Miura and GT400 and then look at this abomination (and every other Lambo since the Miura) and honestly tell me which is more stunning.  Give me a De Tomaso Pantera (and I have the one pictured)  or a Mangusta all day long over this car. And Gandini designed the final Pantera version, the Si.

Jordan Rimpela
9/25/19 2:10 p.m.

Though I am definitely a fan of the Pantera, I do rather like the early Countach and especially the Espada (and the Jaguar Pirana off of which it's based). The Urraco was handsome, too. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RGAuMv52y5sRRUM17V1gSfJe7gkyoY7VEvlExYlicGtB906DpfRan6JUqi7JHMSF