David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/15/20 9:40 a.m.
feature_image

Here’s a 2005 Ford GT that’s not like the rest: no stripes–said to be one of just five ordered that way–plus just 1531 miles and no damage or paintwork. This one comes complete with documentation and history. 

Carlisle Auctions will offer the car at their Lakeland Winter Auction, scheduled for February 21-22 in Lakeland, Florida. Find more details here.

Read the rest of the story

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/15/20 11:26 a.m.

It's not a "Stripe Delete"

For something to be "Delete" it needs to be standard equipment and the buyer has to specify to have it removed.

There were only four options for the Ford GT:

Polished wheels.

Painted calipers.

McIntosh stereo.

Racing stripes.

This is simply a low-option model. The information in the auction doesn't specify what it has so considering the wheels are satin and they don't mention what stereo it has, draw your own conclusions.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/15/20 11:42 a.m.

If you've ever get to drive one, be sure to read the warning sticker on the driver's door sill. It's awesome.

It says "When traveling as speeds exceeding 100mph, increase tire pressures to XX"

I love that is says "When" not "If". They're not even hoping that you're going to drive it like a normal person.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/15/20 4:22 p.m.

I will say this about driving one: It's way more civilized around town than expected. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/15/20 9:53 p.m.

I got to ride in one once. That was easy the most uncomfortable place I've ever been, and I've been in the back of a Volkswagen. It was impossible to get in and out of, I wanged my head on the roof, the seat sucked.......

 

 

And Jesus Christ I want one. I'll never afford one, but yeah. Ford done good here. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/15/20 10:02 p.m.

I play the "God forbid if anything should ever happen to my wife" in my head and I wonder how much of my savings and retirement fund will it take to buy a car like this.

You know I'd be sad and a nice Ford GT40 would cheer me up.  

My dad spent $35,000 on brick walks and garden walls after my mom passed away.  He seemed happy.  
 

 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
1/15/20 11:01 p.m.

I took our customer's GT for inspection when we brought it in to the country.

On the drive back, I thought "Maybe I'll take the long way back and see what it does on the highway"

After some minor hooning on some surface roads, I decided that if I misbehaved on the highway in this car, I would end up in jail.

The feeling that you absolutely -could- outrun anything they threw at you is pretty cool.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/16/20 5:41 a.m.

Wait, let me get my checkbook...

Dbk
Dbk New Reader
10/14/20 9:13 p.m.
ShawnG said:

It's not a "Stripe Delete"

For something to be "Delete" it needs to be standard equipment and the buyer has to specify to have it removed.

There were only four options for the Ford GT:

Polished wheels.

Painted calipers.

McIntosh stereo.

Racing stripes.

This is simply a low-option model. The information in the auction doesn't specify what it has so considering the wheels are satin and they don't mention what stereo it has, draw your own conclusions.

FYI it is in fact Stripe Delete. The "stripe delete" option referred to the fact the bodyside vinyl stripes were "deleted" versus applied as standard.  So if you ordered a GT, your option was standard vinyl body side stripes, body side vinyl stripes and over the top paint stripes, or "stripe delete."  The stripe delete option was no cost.

The wheels were also standard cast aluminum BBS, or optional forged aluminum BBS.  The finish was the same.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/14/20 10:32 p.m.
Dbk said:
ShawnG said:

It's not a "Stripe Delete"

For something to be "Delete" it needs to be standard equipment and the buyer has to specify to have it removed.

There were only four options for the Ford GT:

Polished wheels.

Painted calipers.

McIntosh stereo.

Racing stripes.

This is simply a low-option model. The information in the auction doesn't specify what it has so considering the wheels are satin and they don't mention what stereo it has, draw your own conclusions.

FYI it is in fact Stripe Delete. The "stripe delete" option referred to the fact the bodyside vinyl stripes were "deleted" versus applied as standard.  So if you ordered a GT, your option was standard vinyl body side stripes, body side vinyl stripes and over the top paint stripes, or "stripe delete."  The stripe delete option was no cost.

The wheels were also standard cast aluminum BBS, or optional forged aluminum BBS.  The finish was the same.

Dbk is correct.

And to further clarify why it's special, the side stripes were standard:

This is what people commonly call "stripe delete" and that is completely incorrect. This is the standard car.

Optional was the added over the top stripes.

Notice that it still has the standard side stripes as well.

 

Then there's the car in the main post with literally no stripes at all which is the actual "stripe delete". The "1 of 5" is a misnomer though, it's one of five red ones in that model year. There are dozens of full stripe deletes out there and at least one of every color. The hard part is any standard GT (no top stripes) can look "stripe delete" by peeling off the vinyl side stripes. This is really common on black ones.

 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
10/14/20 11:41 p.m.

This is where dealer / owner / auction shenanigans drive me nuts.

If Ford listed it as "stripe delete" in the auction package then you are absolutely correct.

So many times with cars I see something being billed as unique or unusual when really, it's just that most people spent the money and ordered the car a lot differently.

Chevy guys seem to love the "one of three V6 Nova, chartreuse with salmon interior, built on an odd-numbered Tuesday" sort of thing. Your car isn't special, it's just weird.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/14/20 11:48 p.m.

I'm thinking i like it a lot better without any stripes.  But, after seeing the blue and black ones up above, red wouldn't be my first choice.  I'll save the red choice for my Ferrari.  wink

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
10/15/20 9:19 a.m.

Gulf livery still rocks.

 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/15/20 9:35 a.m.

They made just ver 4000 of this generation of GT.

I love how they have to start putting options out to boost values on stuff like this because they cannot just come out and say how "rare" it is. 400 cars of a generation is still not even rare. 

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/15/20 2:58 p.m.
ShawnG said:

This is where dealer / owner / auction shenanigans drive me nuts.

If Ford listed it as "stripe delete" in the auction package then you are absolutely correct.

So many times with cars I see something being billed as unique or unusual when really, it's just that most people spent the money and ordered the car a lot differently.

Chevy guys seem to love the "one of three V6 Nova, chartreuse with salmon interior, built on an odd-numbered Tuesday" sort of thing. Your car isn't special, it's just weird.

I'd like to see this chartreuse over salmon monstrosity laugh

Kinda reminds me of NFL records: "this is the first time a left handed kicker scored a field goal on a sunny Tuesday in playoff history!!!!"

Our Preferred Partners
zehiYJC7OEoRqdB51rDrjAYKg5EknqlQtshZrJtvGpJn3CW02jT27h4nV3xAFCE8