Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
12/20/16 3:53 p.m.
feature_image

Love strange, slightly strange small cars? Japan is a good source, and Montu Motors specializes in importing secondhand Japanese-spec cars from Asia to the U.S. Today they are offering this 1991 Honda Beat for just $8,600. Not quite your speed? They also specialize in hunting down whatever specific car you might want to import. The car just has to be …

Read the rest of the story

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/20/16 4:01 p.m.

Nice! I'd love to see a Mazda AZ-1, Suzuki Cappuccino, or Daihatsu Copen in the flesh.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/30/16 12:48 p.m.
nderwater wrote: Nice! I'd love to see a Mazda AZ-1, Suzuki Cappuccino, or Daihatsu Copen in the flesh.

I've been lucky to see them. The Cappuccino is my favorite. Somewhere I have a die-cast of one. The proportions are just spot-on.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
12/30/16 1:48 p.m.

That little red beat is right up my alley that they have right now. No way to get it reg'd in California though.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
12/30/16 2:25 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: That little red beat is right up my alley that they have right now. No way to get it reg'd in California though.

That's one of the things I really disliked about living there. You could supposedly get it certified but you'd have to submit it to the state to baseline and do a bunch of work. Essentially acting like you're the manufacturer. Seems a little excessive, and expensive, since I doubt there will be any statistically relevant number of 25+ year old cars imported. No matter what Skyline fans may say.

I'd love a little turbo charged Beat, Pulsar GTi-R, or Honda City Turbo to tool around in. Maybe a modified HiAce just because.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
1/1/17 8:34 p.m.
The0retical wrote:
wearymicrobe wrote: That little red beat is right up my alley that they have right now. No way to get it reg'd in California though.
That's one of the things I really disliked about living there.

One of about a thousand things that annoy me. I have seen so many of them running around on out of state plates clearly here full time though. Rules like this are hard to follow that is for sure.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
1/3/17 2:02 p.m.

Such a cool little car. I'm vaguely considering getting one. You really have to value the quirkiness to make it pencil out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
icW6t7uFhhERu0rPBVxYqmt8LKpzHXNfyGMx6qLDCorFQbIIhq8CbDXBWHQrbVpO