1 2
Bret
Bret None
4/21/08 9:46 p.m.

I don't there's a soul here that wouldn't pass up a 1935 Bentley LeMans Tourer if it was given to us. But perhaps "Modern Classic" is a better vernacular. :nice:

Bret
Bret None
4/21/08 10:21 p.m.

Wow? So serious...

My point referencing the Bentley – was that I'm quite sure that there are some car snobs out there that would think that any vehicle made after 1950 shouldn’t be considered a classic.

So where do you draw the line. A 58 MGA or an 88 Land Rover? ;)

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand None
4/21/08 11:52 p.m.

It's an 88" Land Rover, not a 1988 Land Rover :) Off-roading is a motorsport, and one that's been around since motoring was invented.

And of course, we get into what a classic is. Just wait until someone posts a Miata, then we'll really get the discussion going!

Bret
Bret None
4/22/08 1:29 a.m.

Actually if'n ya look at Apis's bio you'll see he lists a "72 Land Rover 88" along with the following: 58 MGA Coupe 59 AH Sprite <-Current project 60 AH Sprite 71 BMW R60 71 Triumph Bonneville 72 MG Midget 72 Land Rover 88 73 MG Midget 74 MGB GT"

My mistake.

But I digress – I’m just trying to figure out where he’s coming from that’s all. I mean is he really suggesting that unless you own E-Types and MGBs you shouldn’t be posting here?

If that’s what he’s saying – it’s reminiscent of all of the bemoaning that went on by a number of folks who got all upset when British Car first became Classic Motorsports.

It has to be said that even I had my reservations at the change but I am extremely happy with the new format. I mean I love my MGB but just how many articles can you write about them before it starts to become somewhat stale.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/22/08 6:39 a.m.

That's why there's ratings, and comments, and all the other stuff. Not interested in newer stuff, or italian stuff, or whatever? Skip it, go to the ones you like and vote and comment on them.

Burke Bell
Burke Bell None
4/22/08 8:44 a.m.

Well put Tim! The diversity of this site is what drew me to it. I am a member of a Land Rover site and a Porsche site for many years. I love them both, but they each get so model specific and sometimes bash other makes. I like learning about other's "loves", and I have yet to see a vehicle on this site that I wouldn't like to get behind the wheel of.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/22/08 8:48 a.m.

I'm such a car slut that if it's remotely interesting at some point I've probably lusted over one. One day I want an older 911, the next day I want a Volvo 122, the day after I want an MG 1100, and then I decide I really should get a Matra Djet before I die. They're all cool, just different. Each has strengths and weaknesses. On the reader rides section, if one doesn't get the pulse racing it, I just move on to one that does and vote for it.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/22/08 9:07 a.m.

I probably shouldn't let the cat out of the bag, but yes, GRM will be getting a similar reader rides section. It has the section on the board, but I think the setup over here is better.

As for whether they fit in over here... I'll leave that up to the community to decide with their votes, comments and views.

KaptKaos
KaptKaos None
4/22/08 9:18 a.m.

Apis - nice 928! And you are really tall. :omg:

Here is the question: "What is a classic car?"

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/22/08 9:28 a.m.

Far as I'm concerned, it's whatever I say it is, but that definition probably doesn't work for other people.

wetpossum
wetpossum
4/22/08 9:58 a.m.

I would argue in favor of labeling those cars as classics. When my father restored his Porsche 356, a full bare-metal restoration, it was only 11 years old.

Plus, a Supra is most definitely in the same spirit as an E-type and will most certainly become a collectible classic in the near future. Straight-6, Gobs of torque, able to hang with Ferrari's and 911's for a fraction of the price...

KaptKaos
KaptKaos None
4/22/08 10:06 a.m.

I think a classic car has keys, but I digress. :grin:

Seriously, is classic a reflection of time or status? Surely the last generation Supra is an amazing car. If it were not so good a performer, would it be a "classic" so soon? Is a 95 Corolla a classic? How long did it take the '81 Celica Supra to become a classic? It wasn't a very good car.

rconlon
rconlon None
4/22/08 10:11 a.m.

Here is the answer from Ron's bartender: "Whatever."

Cheers Ron

Bret
Bret None
4/22/08 10:52 a.m.

Ok Apis help me out here will ya?

Point out the Classic in this picture?

BTW Tim - I've said it before & I'll say it again, I really liked the "Underrated Classics" article in the May of 2006 issue. That had a Rubber Bumper MGB, A TR7, Chevrolet Corvair, BMW 320i, Maserati Biturbo and of all things (GASP!?!?) a Porsche 928. :twisted:

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/22/08 11:09 a.m.

Funny you should mention it, Bret... we just posted that one online: http://classicmotorsports.net/articles/underrated-classics/

Bret
Bret None
4/22/08 11:18 a.m.

Sweet! Thanks Tim, I'm sure many will enjoy re-reading it.

My copy has a place of honor in my " Porcelain Thrown Reading Room".... ;)

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette None
4/22/08 12:03 p.m.

I was wondering if my 1960 ford 850 fire truck fits in ? http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/racetearoffs/redbull23080.jpg

I bought it with my 1960 Willys M-170 from the Crystal River Fire Dept .

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/22/08 12:06 p.m.

Karl, why don't you post 'em up and see what folks think?

Keith
4/22/08 3:22 p.m.

The 928 is an interesting case. It was introduced in 1978. At that time, you could still buy an MGB in the US. But nobody's going to argue against the B as a classic, while a 928 from the same year is not. Yes, I know the B was an antique design already by this point (dodging the slings and arrows) while the 928 was anything but, but if it's just date of manufacture...

I feel like putting my Locost (it's a replica of a classic Lotus, does that count?) and a Miata up, just to see the response. After all, if a 1980 MGB was a classic in 1994, then my 1994 Miata is a classic in 2008 - right?

KaptKaos
KaptKaos None
4/22/08 3:45 p.m.

Let's up-end this process. Instead of finding what we disagree on, let's decide what we agree are classic attributes and then apply that as a standard.

I'll go first:

Good handling.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/22/08 3:51 p.m.

Nah, there's plenty of classics with mediocre-to-miserable handling.

I'd say it's any car that's been out of production for years but people still lust for them. Really -- as is so often the case -- it's all about the lust.

Keith
4/22/08 4:01 p.m.

The Lancia Stratos still looks new - or at least, it shares the "out of time" aspect of the 928. Is it not a classic? Of course it is, although it was designed only two years before the 928.

I'm not going to take "Locost bodger" as an insult, as you and I hopefully have a different definition of what a "bodger" is.

Keith
4/22/08 5:20 p.m.

So how do we introduce more cars into the classic category? In 20 years, will the 928 still be disallowed? Will the Miata? What happens when all the blacksmiths are retired?

The Mercedes gullwing was sent back from that same corrupted future. Desmodromic valves! Fuel injection! A tube frame! And those doors! But I don't think anyone's going to say it isn't a classic.

There's a Locost and a Miata in the Readers Rides now :twisted: Disagree with their placement? Say so in the comments.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
4/22/08 6:13 p.m.

I had an MGB in '94, and about the only people at the time who considered it a classic were other B owners -- and not all of them.

KaptKaos
KaptKaos None
4/23/08 12:43 a.m.

Fine, we don't agree on handling. It was just an idea.

Ok, anything we CAN agree on? Chrome maybe?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bOloMWKAtRt7OGV8r6oC7370ruRv0D4pIsKtRRwOBEz2JI1NsdUStShYxSmaHHqD