Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 4:43 a.m.

This thread contains accepted Concours d'Cancelation entries in the Cars of Karmann Class - Presented by Coco Mats 

Comments are locked at this time.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 6:22 a.m.

1973 914 OWNERS: DAVE AND CATHY VIOLA - Minerva, Ohio

PROPOSED CLASS: PORSCHE

I am the second owner of this Zambezi Green 1973 914 1.7 . The original owner purchased it new in 1973 from Capital Porsche/Audi in Columbus, Ohio.

I Purchased it in 2002 with 212,000 miles after being completely restore to original condition and have slowly upgraded most of it since and now has over 220,000 miles on the odometer. I have been blessed by winning Concourse awards at PCA events and at Parade. I did compete several years in various PCA events such as auto cross, rally’s and DE track events along with the historic Stone Bridge festival at Watkins Glen and the Put-in Bay historic race reenactment on Put-in Bay Island, Ohio.

I will soon be passing ownership of the 914 onto my daughter.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 6:23 a.m.

Car: 1972 Triumph TR6

Owners: Bill and Gayle Michael

Proposed Class: Sports & GT Cars (1970-1980)

It was a warm summer day and my wife and I were sitting in our sunroom. I said, “Gayle, I've decided to have a mid-life crisis. What do you want me to get; another woman or a sports car”. Thankfully, she said “get a sports car”. Thus began a wonderful journey.

I found a local 1972 Triumph TR6. I drove it for about a year and then realized that it really needed to be restored. I disassembled the car and began with a bare frame. I had it powder coated I then began sand blasting and painting parts and began putting them back on the car. The engine and rolling chassis we to Mike Gassman of Gassman automotive in Waynesboro, VA. Mike rebuilt the engine with Richard Good's 3 carburetor setup, a GP2 cam, and 1.6:1 roller rockers as well as Herman van den Akker's 5 speed transmission conversion. The body work and paint was done by a local shop that specialized in restoring vintage cars. They painted it Inferno Red Pearl from Chrysler and that's been a big hit at the car shows. While all this was going on I was preparing everything else to go back on the car. I got some Miata seats and fabricated a black walnut Russian burl dash that I modified with an extra gauge. Certainly more work than this was done, such as competition springs, disc brake conversion and Wilwood brakes. About 12 years passed before the car was roadworthy.

The car has been a show winner ever since at both local and regional car shows.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 6:25 a.m.

1974 BMW CS 3.0

Lowell Paddock / New Preston, CT

BMW Class

I purchased this E9 in 2004 while working in Germany.  It is a German-market car, originally delivered in the Frankfurt area and had three previous owners in the Rhein-Main region before I brought it to the US in 2018.  This 4-speed example is highly original, having traveled only a documented 55,000km and was routinely de-registered during the winter months.  It has a black vinyl interior, a relatively rare option for a European E9 as most were delivered with velour interiors.  It was repainted in its original Polaris Silver color at some point during its prior ownership.  It won the German car class at the Greenwich Concours in 2019.  

v

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 6:26 a.m.

1972 Porsche 916

Steve Adler, NJ

Built or designed by Karmann

From the Radnor Hunt Concours

One of ten 916s produced, originally delivered to Louise Piëch, sister of Ferdinand Piëch. The 916 was based on a 914/6 platform, modified at Baur coachworks. A welded steel roof, chassis and suspension reinforcements and welded steel flares from the 914/GT race cars. Front and rear fiberglass bumpers and standard driving lights complete the exterior. The engine is a 2.7 Liter Carrera , developing 210 HP. This car has a unique leather and corduroy interior.

Photos courtesy of RM Auctions, Jasen Delgado and Bill Rothermel

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 6:27 a.m.

Car: 1986 1/2 Volkswagen Scirocco 16V

Owner: Tom Parke

Proposed Class: Built or Designed by Karmann AND Cars of the ‘80s & ‘90s

Details: I am the third owner. The original owner purchased this car in New York in 1986 at age 21 and he kept it completely bone stock. He eventually sold the car in 2017 (at age 52) to a gentleman in New Jersey who promised to find a good, permanent home for the car. The gentleman that sold the car to me installed Euro bumpers, Euro headlights, Euro corner markers, lowered it a tad and added a new exhaust. He also thoroughly cleaned every part of the engine bay, plated many parts and replaced all of the wear and tear items (belts, hoses, etc). I live in California, but I found this car while looking through the New Jersey craigslist ads in the fall of 2018. The gentleman that sold this car to me deliberately did not advertise the car on BaT, eBay, VW Vortex, The Samba, Autotrader, Facebook groups, etc. because he wanted to handpick the next owner. Purchasing this car was a 60-day process. It was like I was being interviewed or like we were dating, as we got to know each other and I made it clear that my intentions were to keep the car and drive it, not flip it for a profit. I had to provide references (which he called) to vouch for my previous Scirocco ownership and the owner insisted that I send a friend of mine out to see the car in person. The owner and I developed a friendship before he finally agreed to sell the car to me in January of 2019. Since purchasing this car, I have not only stayed in close contact with the gentleman that sold the car to me, but I have also gotten to know the original owner [who owned it for the first 31 years] through Facebook. Whenever I drive this car, I will always get a thumbs up from someone and/or approached in a parking lot to ask me about the car. For me, this car was not financially obtainable when I was a teenager in the late 80s/early 90s – and by the time this car was financially obtainable, most of them had been destroyed by their young owners.

I’ve been smitten/obsessed with these cars ever since my elementary art school teacher purchased a VW Scirocco 16V in 1986. I purchased my first Scirocco in 2011, shortly after reading a “Collectible Classic” article in Automobile Magazine that validated my Scirocco obsession – and that magazine article inspired me to seek out a Scirocco for myself. Now, as a 43-year-old father of two, this car is my primary stress-reliever. It never fails - I just need to do a 150-mile loop in this old VW every couple of weeks, and then my sanity is instantly restored. It's impossible not to smile after a spirited drive in a Scirocco.

Walk-around video: https://youtu.be/bqvpvd1v4g8

Interior video: https://youtu.be/lCGvo6md_pA

Engine bay video: https://youtu.be/yM3DKcqH0kY

I was invited to participate by Team RADwood. 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/2/20 6:29 a.m.

1973 BMW 3.0 CSL

Scott Hughes

Sunset, SC

BMW Class

The famous "Batmobile" is a homologation special built to make the car eligible for racing in the European Touring Car Championship. 1,265 were built. Known as "batmobiles" because of the addon aerodynamic aids, the rear wing and roof spoiler were illegal on German roads so they were shipped in the car's trunk. Yes, perhaps the first performance "trunk kit". 

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
JmtvnzNeWiZf3WdbOnftZw57ukOQmJs5aqXzIPWLqWSDCiEzAX7J1JAgSJAV3b9U