Art Fanter
Art Fanter None
3/24/10 10:08 p.m.

In my new May issue, Peter Brock wrote about the "most archaic of all the cars it raced against". I have to agree, but I ran one in DP and it was very competitive. We had the close ratio gear sets and the engine was superlative. We kept it down to 8000 rpm and we could pull the 2.2 liter (or more) six cylinder Triumphs down the straight. For the rest, it cooled and stopped; what else did you need? It was also easy to work on. We couldn't afford to run a lot, but we did well when we could.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
3/25/10 1:52 p.m.

You know, I was wondering about that too. Specifically he mentioned the track/wheelbase ratio. Then he mentioned the 240Z as being far superior, apparently in this regard. I looked up the numbers.

WB: 240Z 90.7", 2000 89.8"

Track F/R: 240Z 53.3/53.0, 2000 50.2"/47.2"

So the rear is narrow, but not hugely so. Fender flares can easily take up that disparity. Wasn't that allowed, such that the two could be basically identical? I was confused, as I always thought those care did fairly well, especially given their slick transmissions and ample power for the age.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
3/31/10 9:25 a.m.

I always thought the engine was head and shoulders above anything in its class while the chassis, etc was not as good as the average (which were rather archaic themselves). The engine is what made it competitive IMO...

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
3/31/10 10:37 a.m.

I've got a very soft spot in my heart for the Datsun Roadster. This one looked like a lot of fun at the 2010 SCCA Dixie National Tour autocross. He won the class by a pretty solid margin against a field of newer Miatas.

Art Fanter
Art Fanter New Reader
12/4/23 6:34 p.m.

Re; the Peugeot 505;  mine was 2 liter, FI, air and stick.  Had it for awhile when I got reassigned to the UK and took it with.  Drove it all over the UK, moved to Germany and drove  it all over western Europe.  Brought it home for some time.  Had loaned it to a niece who got hugely rammed by a cad; destroyed the cad, she had a seatbelt bruise.  One of my all time fav cars!  Never ANY mechanical problems.   

dougie
dougie HalfDork
12/4/23 11:24 p.m.

I've raced against many 2000, when driven well they're a good match. On the longer tracks with good straights, I can usaully send them packing.  Here's a short vid at PIR ...

wspohn
wspohn UltraDork
12/5/23 2:07 p.m.

The 2000 motor was quite robust and the version with the twin Solex carbs was a strong competitor. They might look like something styled a decade before by some British company but they were quite competitive on the track.  They also made one of the more memorable 4 cylinder exhaust noises when they got up toward 8,000 rpm on the race cars (7000 on street engines).  I had a grudging liking for them but never quite enough to actually own one.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/6/23 9:18 a.m.

In autocross circles, Bill and Elliott Harvey’s Datsun Roadster is the stuff of legends.

Full story here: The Art of Understatement: A Low-Key, Championship-Winning Datsun Roadster.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/6/23 9:19 a.m.

And a more recent account about the Harvey’s Datsun roadster: Past Perfect.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rMc56EWouS2ywDL1VaW3fufHemRSFWvJZq5dTPpTELEQf4yQbemaiBX9vRRmPCvP