qdseeker
qdseeker Reader
7/12/15 8:41 p.m.

The family has started a thing with the Mighty Buddha Bus where each Sunday we go on a day trip to just wherever. We'll stop at a small town restaurant and eat there. Last week, we went to Milledgeville and this week we went over to Senoia (both in Georgia). Both trips cost a bit over 130 miles each and was great.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/quickdodge/media/20150712_152732_zpsafafataf.jpg.html][/URL]

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/12/15 9:00 p.m.

I don't have a buddha bus... but today's trip went over the Francis Walter Dam.

For scale... that beam is the equivalent of a train tressel for only a single lane road out to the pillar. It looks massive in person.

It is hard to tell just how high above the water you are here... the camera steals the incline. But, that is a 2 lane road down there and I'm at 2x zoom.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/13/15 6:21 a.m.

Excellent idea. We spent Friday at Jekyll Island, Georgia, working on our 2016 Orange Blossom Tour route. This is an amazing place for one of your weekend tours.

qdseeker
qdseeker Reader
7/13/15 6:30 a.m.

GPS, that place looks cool, man. There is a spot similar to that down here that I definitely plan to take Mr. B to.

Tim Suddard, you're right as rain about Jekyll Island being a cool spot. We actually have a (time share) house on SSI that I'm going to take off to in the bus here soon. Both places are nothing short of cool and pretty laid back.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/16/15 7:28 p.m.

Does Senoia still have an oval track? My old roommate's dad used to crew there.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
7/16/15 7:39 p.m.

In reply to qdseeker:

Did you bump into Rutledge?

qdseeker
qdseeker Reader
7/17/15 6:40 a.m.

David, yes, there is a dirt track over there that has been there for years.

moparman, I did text him to see if he wanted to meet up, but prior arrangements left this meeting to another day.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
7/17/15 8:14 a.m.

Milledgeville is almost my neck o' the woods. I'm just south of Macon. Never been to Senoia. Where are you driving from? I might be able to give you a few more targets.

Check out Madison - beautiful little town. I've never had the chance to stop and explore, but it's got to have some great small restaurants. The county is known for a preponderance of covered bridges. Some guy wrote a book about it. North of Milledgeville, west of Athens, out in that general area.

Tim - I spent a week on Jekyll every summer growing up. It's a wonderful place.

qdseeker
qdseeker Reader
7/18/15 2:55 a.m.

Hey ultraclyde. I strike out just about 20 minutes from Madison. I drive through the town a few times a week due to work and I drive a semi. For that reason, I'm all over the map. One place I like going to is Salt Lick Sausage Company on GA 300 while on my way to Albany. Please feel free to throw out suggestions as I'm up for that.

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
7/19/15 6:11 p.m.

Ah, my favorite thing to do with my classic, get in and drive. Just go anywhere, explore, find a nice town or site, eat somewhere different, find some nice sporty roads, and then a relaxing drive home.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/14/16 8:24 a.m.

I almost forgot about this thread, but, I'm reviving it from the dead. Maybe it could be moved to the Trips and Adventures forum?

Wednesday I had some meetings cancel, a bit of stress and the rest of the work on my plate could be done in the dark. I decided to take a fall leaf run for 12hrs and 621 miles through the Adirondacks. It was 35F when I left from near Scranton, PA at 7:30am and oddly ... 76F near Lake Placid at 2PM. This time of year once you get north of Old Forge there are no tourists, no RVs no nothing - no people. It's like having the entire vast wilderness to yourself. I didn't have a lot of time for exploring side roads and getting lost unless I wanted to navigate the 270 or so miles home in the dark so I basically stuck to 28, 28N, 30 and 8 in a big loop around the park then dropped down to 88 when I ran out of light.

That much riding does not leave a ton of time for picture taking but... I spotted this from a bridge at Long Lake, NY and the timing was right. It sums up everything - awesome weather, beautiful scenery and sail planes!

And... a gratuitous selfie that is supposed to capture some speed blur as well as the fantastic view of the peak just behind me over my left shoulder, all of which appears to have not quite made it into the picture. I'll need to work on the whole holding a camera in thick winter gloves and riding fast at the same time thing. I tied the strap to the loop on my left arm and it's a good thing because I dropped the camera twice mucking around with it.

It was a good day.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
10/15/16 3:14 p.m.

In reply to Huckleberry: GREAT SHOTS

Yes,

I've done similar attempts that for decades on bikes and specially now that I'm disabled, in open sports cars! I'm not into selfies. But I have discovered a mounted Hero Camera or a generic equivalent makes much better scenery shots without the hassle or inattention! INATTENTION WHILE MOVING ON/IN A VEHICLE KILLS!

I mount a Hero on the upper windshield frame of my roadster looking forward and another there looking aft. Then when I get into gorgeous scenery country, I turn them both and let them record it all as we twist and turn. 90+% or more of these recordings usually "end up on the cutting room floor," as we used to say when editing still or movie film. But, HEY THIS FILM IS JUST A MEMORY CARD OR CHIP!

ONCE YOU BUY THE CARD FOR YOUR CHOICE OF CAMERA YOUR "FILM" IS FREE TO USE OVER AND OVER!! "Save As" the scenes you want to keep to wherever "save" location you prefer, clear the memory on the card, and you're ready for the next ride!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/17/16 8:47 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: Milledgeville is almost my neck o' the woods. I'm just south of Macon. Never been to Senoia. Where are you driving from? I might be able to give you a few more targets.

My wife and I are both Flannery O'Connor fans; we went to Milledgeville a couple years ago to visit Andalusia. It's an interesting little town, especially with the college there.

Check out Madison - beautiful little town. I've never had the chance to stop and explore, but it's got to have some great small restaurants. The county is known for a preponderance of covered bridges. Some guy wrote a book about it. North of Milledgeville, west of Athens, out in that general area.

The Chop House is a great place to try if you visit Madison. Although it's just one of may really good places to eat there.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/16 4:41 p.m.

Glad to see this back from the dead. I hope you get a few more rides in before the snows come.

qdseeker
qdseeker Reader
11/27/16 8:58 p.m.

Don't get too much of the white stuff here, so I won't have to put Mr. B away. I just did another camping trip a couple of weekends ago with my son and plan on another just before Christmas.

Thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iUL37thrRTSNUsxfYhuZQzVe4oshNSRtxQkHsMeBYwBLU06kX5NTJzM7XYaEzYVC