1 2 3 ... 5
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/17 7:04 p.m.

I'm sure most of you guys on the Classic side don't venture into the $20xx classifieds. So this popped up https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/201x-classifieds/vintage-sports-racer-project-neohio-nmna/129027/page1/ The car was literally less than 3 miles away. With some expert sleuthing by Woody it was identified quite quickly and I called on it. We agreed on a time to come see it, which later turned into a text of "I'm sorry but I've temporarily suspended the sale of the car." Apparently I was not first in line, but I was local, and when I offered just to drive over and share with him what I had learned he shot me his address. We talked about the car, and how he had a collector in Oregon who wanted it, so it was pretty sure not available anymore. I shook his hand and went home knowing that I laid hands on what appears to be a 1 of 10 car per the articles we could find, and hoped to see it restored online one day. Fast forward to yesterday, seller called me and left a message while I was working. I decided to go outside of my customer's home and call him back. He informed me that because the brakes are frozen the prospective buyer in Oregon and another in Texas were having trouble getting a shipping quote, and both requested he put in the time to make it roll. He said he's just not able to give it the time to do that, and told both that he was sorry but he was going to relist it. He called me before doing so since I expressed interest and we struck the deal over the phone. The car is on his trailer and he is bringing it to my house this weekend. Thursday through Monday was an emotional roller coaster. So I now own, and have the daunting task of finding parts for, a 1955 Devin Panhard.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
5/16/17 7:54 p.m.

YAY!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/17/17 7:08 a.m.

So happy. Best news all week. Month?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/17/17 7:11 a.m.

This will be awesome.

WilD
WilD Dork
5/17/17 9:47 a.m.

Very cool. I'm glad that it appears an interesting car is being saved.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/17/17 10:15 a.m.

Let me know if you need some of those fiberglass parts reconstructed. I have a buddy with a very well equipped fiberglass shop that works very reasonably.

In fact, there are several scenarios I can think of that would be no cost to you at all.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/17/17 10:35 a.m.

Part it out to those fronchies that are still racing them. Some must die, that others may live.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
5/17/17 10:40 a.m.

An early question is how you want to eventually prepare the car?

It looks like SVRA does not have a group for H-Modified, but does for G-Modified (in group 4). (running with Cooper-Climax (FWA 1098) Elva ME (FWA 1098) Lola MM (FWA 1098) Lotus 9, 11 & 17 (FWA 1098) OSCA MT4 1100 Tojeiro-Climax (FWA 1098) ) https://svra.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Svra_Group_4_117.pdf

VRG has a group for HM (They used to sanction Pittsburg Vintage Gran Prix, but are out aparrently) http://www.vrgonline.org/rules/

That being said, a supercharger will be hard to find I think...

So HM?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
5/17/17 11:15 a.m.
Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
5/17/17 11:20 a.m.
patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/17/17 11:27 a.m.

Ordered the book Monday

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
5/17/17 11:37 a.m.

So it looks like you may be able to find aditional bodywork details from the 53 Deutsch Bonnet racer as the molds were pulled from that and there are more pictures of that floating around.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
5/17/17 11:37 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

have a copy

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/17/17 11:56 a.m.

This is incredibly cool and exciting. Can't wait for the progress. Your approach to the seller turned out to be perfect! Well done!!

patgizz
5/17/17 6:22 p.m.

Well, this weekend is bad for him but he's not working tomorrow and my job got pushed back a few weeks so he's bringing it over in the morning.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
5/18/17 9:54 a.m.

Pat,

Like everyone else here who's heard this epic, I'm Super excited for you and to watch this unfold in the coming months/years.

Congrats!

patgizz
5/18/17 11:02 a.m.

It is home, time to start moving things around to get it inside.

photo 9004AF35-AFE4-4453-925D-403A2496C85E_zpsbzbh1ll1.jpg

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
5/19/17 7:16 a.m.

In reply to patgizz: So So Lucky, A friend has an Original Detomaso that is the only car I ever wanted to restore, 1 of 54, yours is now the only other one that Peaks my Intrest. so lucky

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
5/19/17 4:02 p.m.

I panhardly believe it!

Neat old sports racer. Should get you into any vintage race you want to enter.

Interesting exhaust note, IIRC, but it's been a few decades since I saw one racing.

patgizz
5/21/17 11:50 a.m.

I talked at length with a panhard/citroen guy from Michigan yesterday. He's going to go through his barn and see if he can come up with wheels/hubs/drums/brake guts. He's planning to be at the big 700+ car auction in July in Norwalk and apparently there is one panhard sedan in the mix.

Got another lead for a guy with a couple panhard engines, but unless i can get a gearbox too I'm hesitant to buy an engine yet because this trans is locked solid. The entire 4 speed, diff and all is barely bigger than a dana 44 or 8.8 irs center section. A citroen box may work and be a period correct replacement if a panhard unit cannot be sourced

I'm still wanting to take plenty of time to get my head around what's here, my wife on the other hand is itching to get moving on it. I'm not pushing things I'm working on to the back burner again just because something new and special showed up.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/21/17 11:56 a.m.

There are times when i think the coolest people on the planet are on this forum. And then those cool guys mention how their wives push them to work on the vintage race car, or buy a blower or something.

Im pretty sure the cool guys on this forum have cooler wives.

Ill keep my eyes wide shut down here for devin/panhard/citroen stuff. Dont hold your breath. This is Chevy land.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/21/17 4:16 p.m.

Unfortunately, I didn't see anything of interest at Carlisle. The French contingent was rather thin this year.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
5/22/17 5:53 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Everything was a bit thin this year. It seemed like all that was for sale was MG parts.

Great buy I'd be interested to know what chassis this one is.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/22/17 7:17 a.m.

In reply to The0retical:

I found some good deals, but I arrive on Thursday for that reason. I quickly jump on the good stuff. Like a pair of Triumph GT6 doors for $50. Spitfire guys love these because they provide the parts to convert a square tail Spit to have the GT6 wing-windows. The seller didn't realize this. I don't need them (already have a set waiting to be installed), but figured one of my friends might (I was right). Also picked up a pair of brand new bullet mirrors for less than half price.

My ex- was swooning for that black 944 in the car corral for $8500. Price seemed a bit high to me, but it did have a long list of recent maintenance items. And the paint was beautiful, which will always get her blood flowing.

But regardless, I agree things were a bit thinner than expected this year, on the show field as well as the market area. But as I said, the French selection was particularly low this year.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
5/22/17 7:27 a.m.

I ended up only able to go on Sunday, it was mostly a waste of time. I hope there were more venders there Friday/saturday, because DAYM.

I talked to one person in the french contingent who might know a guy, but it seemed pretty thin. Will email you his email address Pat, but its honestly a longshot.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GgdkqBpw0AQfn2Cvhl1oHGR661pMh1hyx5lgGyp0Rp7WaRWU4RKVZUjDLAEMVtSF