pjprofili
pjprofili None
4/5/08 9:26 p.m.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a dyno in the Atlanta area? And it'd be even better if they have some familiarity with SU carbs.
I've just completed the installation of a 1275 MG Midget engine into my Sprite, and I suspect that my first guess at which needle to use in the HIF44 carb is most likely off.

Thanks in advance!

Phil

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt
4/6/08 8:43 a.m.

While there's a dyno where I work, we don't have much familiarity with carb tuning and right now are pretty busy gearing up for the Megasquirt meet. Shops that I can think of that are a bit easier to book dyno time at include Balanced Performance, Forged Performance, and Atlanta Chassis Dyno out in Covington. I know Forged also mostly deals with EFI, not sure about the other two.

steved033
steved033 None
4/6/08 2:33 p.m.

I'm good with SU's, just no dyno.

How do the plugs look? black and carbony at the standard "12 flats" setting, and it's too rich. white, and it's too lean.

I tune the MG by getting it warm, and running it up and down the street in my neighborhood. I'm sure the neighbors love me.

sjd

bobpink
bobpink None
4/6/08 3:19 p.m.

You might want to start out by contacting Eddie Radatz of E. Radatz Motorsports over in Kennesaw. While Eddie is better known in the Atlanta area for his work on Datsun Z Cars....shhhh....his real interest is in old British cars. And he is very familiar with Sprites.

Find him at 770.926.6609

pjprofili
pjprofili None
4/8/08 9:48 a.m.

Thanks for the suggestions. I went through three different needles (BCE, BER and BDK) and blasted around the neighbourhood. I went with the BDK for a long drive through the Georgia mountains (video here if you're interested, by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zUhnbeworY) and the plugs don't look too bad - they're mostly brown, with a slight sooty dusting, so I guess I'm close.

One thing I can't figure out, though. I thought it was something to do with the needle when the engine would lose power when opening up the throttle under load, but it turns out that disconnecting the vacuum advance solved that problem. It doesn't make sense to me, as shouldn't there be zero vacuum at wide open throttle, so the advance wouldn't come into play?

steved033
steved033 None
4/8/08 8:08 p.m.

brown is okay...kinda dark tan?. black is bad.

only way to tell on the advance is to put a gauge on it, and see when you're pulling vacuum...maybe you have none at all because the line is plugged?

sjd

pdmracing
pdmracing None
4/10/08 9:42 a.m.

Try Balanced performance in sugar hill, They are awesome

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ioRhD2mQ4cf31owzaWjzDe2aFwqvFLtFyUJ7WKXvoJMoEpNceBaOnltGEFt2m5J8