NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/7/17 3:35 p.m.

Tryng to sort out a 1954 100-4. The tthrottle linkage is connected as per this diagram

The problem is that the diagram from the manual wants to pull the lever on the throttle shaft down, when in fact it needs to be pushed up to open the throttles. What the heck am I missing?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
10/7/17 4:40 p.m.

I've never even seen a 100-4 but I'd guess either the book is wrong or a lever somewhere ("acclerator end"?) is flipped the wrong way. 

dougie
dougie Reader
10/7/17 11:12 p.m.

I own and race big Healeys, but all with the 6-cylinder. Here's a good source to post you question,http://www.ahexp.com/phorum/list.php?4

Good luck.....

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/8/17 12:04 a.m.

It's pretty much gotta be like BrokenYugo says, no? Either one (or three) of the accelerator lever or the two bellcranks are backward. It's hard to see from the photo, but it kinda looks like the last bellcrank from the carbs can't be backward without moving the carb-end lever to the other end of the shaft.

Er, or the arm on the shaft should be inboard.

Sorry, guessing a lot of these ideas are more obviously wrong when you've got it in front of you. Hope someone with a specfic answer wanders by soon!

That is a *lot* of jiggery-pokery to get from the pedal to the butterflies.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/8/17 6:12 a.m.
Ransom said:

It's pretty much gotta be like BrokenYugo says, no? Either one (or three) of the accelerator lever or the two bellcranks are backward. It's hard to see from the photo, but it kinda looks like the last bellcrank from the carbs can't be backward without moving the carb-end lever to the other end of the shaft.

Er, or the arm on the shaft should be inboard.

Sorry, guessing a lot of these ideas are more obviously wrong when you've got it in front of you. Hope someone with a specfic answer wanders by soon!

That is a *lot* of jiggery-pokery to get from the pedal to the butterflies.

Just for fun I did a count of the bits in the throttle linkage.Over 50 parts in the Bill of Materials. Pretty typical for just about any system on a Healey.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/17/17 12:51 p.m.

Problem sorted. The image I posted is incorrect. The lever at the pedal end needs to face towards the front of the car. Also the bellcrank at the exhaust manifold had to be flipped over.

You don't want to know how much beer that consumed.

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
10/22/17 12:35 a.m.

Six cylinder Healey here too, but I'd had enough of the vague__at best__throttle action, doubting the pedal ever returned to the same position twice, and then sometime around 1986 I fitted 3 X 45 DCOEs, so I completely revamped the throttle linkage at the same time.

From the pedal...

... through the metal...

... up towards the business end...

... to terminate at three throttle-shafts!

By optimizing the bell crank ratios, I could have high resolution with long and linear pedal travel.  Something about linkages in general, and it doesn't matter if it's an analog circular chart recorder or a one venturi per twelve cylinder engine, when properly set up, observe the pedal AND butterflies at 50% of their range, and all the bell cranks to linkage rods should be at a right angle (90*).  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MpTTQtepkm2iJe5JD4EplO3HMkee8DzqIdKfQweq7eEcIiFUgXpnOusKHxmDy6Md