Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
10/14/20 8:30 a.m.

When our classics were new, many of them boasted just two accessories, items often added by the dealer: an ashtray and a cigarette lighter. Times have changed, and ashtrays are seen less and less often. 

Cigarette lighters, however, have kept up with the times. Just as celebrities and politicians reinvent themselves, so have these contraptions. Now they’re called accessory outlets, …

Read the rest of the story

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
10/14/20 10:05 a.m.

some of them have USB plugs too , thats what I have......

wspohn
wspohn Dork
10/14/20 11:50 a.m.

Yup - that's what I did on the Jamaican-MGA so I'd be able to run a GPS and radar detector. On a trip it looks like a bundle of snakes under there.

Slade
Slade
10/15/20 12:48 p.m.

In reply to wspohn : Don’t forget some cars are positive ground  

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
10/15/20 4:44 p.m.

What the hell is a CB radio ??

Breaker, breaker............anybody there ?

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
10/30/21 8:40 a.m.

This article is from 2011... as an update, you might consider skipping the "cigarette lighter" and just wire in a couple USB ports. All depends on what you plan to plug in, of course, but it's now 2021. My phone does everything.

Bardan
Bardan New Reader
10/30/21 12:20 p.m.

Older Brit cars have a 12 amp 20 pound generator built by the Prince of Darkness. With headlights on, wipers working, radio playing and a little wire resistance thrown in, the battery will discharge. Now add more of a load from electronic toys and soon the whole drive experience will stop.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/30/21 1:44 p.m.

Photo of usb adapter in situ.

I opted for the USB route, using a 12v water-resistant unit designed for motorcycle use. I wanted it hidden out of the way, so it's far forward in the passenger footwell, mounted with a nut on top of an existing screw. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
701HPLNrhJWCWs5CbipZ9aJdpAD3PBVpa17oY6qRIGdcS7Dwwc3N2vLd67uMecqv