1 ... 14 15 16 17
malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/18/19 6:49 p.m.

Need to drag you up into the mountains of Thurmont

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
10/11/19 8:48 a.m.

Drove the Jag to work again today, this cool, sunny fall morning.

I'm just a four-door sedan living in an SUV world.  

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/11/19 8:56 a.m.

Looks excellent. You are winning today!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/19 9:04 a.m.

so cool.  love that styling.

volvoclearinghouse
10/11/19 9:07 a.m.

The Director of the department told me this morning, "You gotta let me know when you're driving that old demolition-derby-looking car again, so I can get a picture sitting in it" (referring to Plymford). 

laugh

Robbie
10/11/19 9:18 a.m.

It's a shame you live so far away (or I live so far away?).

That blue would look awesome with the maroon at a Cars and Grey Poupon event. (Shameless pic plug because I love pictures of jaguars in the morning).

Edit, I just realized that even though our cars are like 20 years apart, they share almost the exact same engine... Haha.

volvoclearinghouse
10/11/19 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

How about we go with, "It's a shame we live so far from each other"?  

No worries about the pic- love that car and the color.  Did you see the recent article in Classic Motorsports about the V12 Jag vs the 6.3 Mercedes?  

Yes, that DOHC Jag inline 6 found  a lot of homes in a few different displacements.  IIRC they made it between 1949 and 1992.  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
10/11/19 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Did somebody say pics of Jags in the morning are cool?  I agree:

volvoclearinghouse
10/11/19 9:55 a.m.

I hereby, with the all authority vested in me by the Queen, declare today, October 11th 2019, to be Jag Friday!  laugh

Robbie
10/11/19 9:57 a.m.

I did see the article - loved it. 

Old Jags are in such a weird spot. They are like the only high volume "exclusive" car manufacturer. So they seem exotic (and are often well taken care of), but there are lots of them around. So they are cheap.

Perfect!

volvoclearinghouse
10/12/19 6:15 p.m.

Tonight we did the most Jaguar thing ever.

We went to a nearby winery.

volvoclearinghouse
10/12/19 6:16 p.m.

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
10/12/19 6:21 p.m.
Robbie said:

I did see the article - loved it. 

Old Jags are in such a weird spot. They are like the only high volume "exclusive" car manufacturer. So they seem exotic (and are often well taken care of), but there are lots of them around. So they are cheap.

Perfect!

More than that, they are cheap because of fixable stuff.  Loose wires,  minor glitches, normal wear items.  

If they haven’t been hacked by non skilled mechanics trying to learn on a customer’s car they tend to be solid values.  They are actually solid well made cars.  Cherished by owners who take pride in ownership. 

volvoclearinghouse
10/14/19 7:50 a.m.

The winery visit was a splendid evening.  We hadn't been to this particular one in a coupe of years, so I'd forgotten the layout of the place.  As you drive up the gravel lane to the tasting room and patio/ outside seating area, the road goes right through where everyone is sitting, eating and drinking.  We motored through and EVERY head turned to stare.  I'm not normally shy, but I think I may have blushed a little.  Of course, I got chatted up about the car by a few people.

A husband and wife duo played some bluegrass/ light classic rock, they set up a little tent to make grilled cheese and brats, and after the sun set a fire pit got going.  It was chilly, but pleasant, and the nearly-full moon and clear sky were worth it.  

We departed around 10PM, the Jag puttering happily home.  

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/22/20 7:07 a.m.

I've been doing a fair bit of marketplace selling on the 'Book lately, mostly selling off parts for cars I no longer own.  In the course of one transaction a fellow mentioned he knew of a Jaguar 3.8s parts car that might be for sale...

And so it was, on Saturday, this showed up at my house:

Its pretty wasted in terms of being anything reasonably restorable.  There's no engine, no transmission, no rear, and no title.  The floors aren't terrible, but the passenger side rocker is really rotten.  The steering column's gone and the interior is tired.  It does have a tone of good trim and some parts mine's missing.  The plan is to strip it for all the good bits and either junk the shell or (preferably) find someone who's interested in using it for a LeMons car or something. 

The unloading process without a rear end was somewhat interesting...

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/22/20 6:45 p.m.

make it a drifter lol

Project UTAH II!

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
6/24/20 12:03 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) :

Beware Jaguars breed like rabbits. At one time I've had 50 V12 engines here. And I've had as many as 5 cars in the driveway. All mine of course. 
Does this one have the little picnic  tables in the back of the front seats?  

The remarkable thing is  how cheap you get them. You keep them for the parts.   I see doors and windows, plenty of chrome.  Plus 2 front wheels and knock offs.  Heck save the fenders and all the glass. Best of all the Leper. 

6/24/20 8:53 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Yep- even with no drivetrain at all there's loads of good parts here.  In addition to everything you noted, it has both gas tanks and TWO decent-looking OE-type SU fuel pumps.  I know a guy here who can diamond-lap the points for me, too.

A buddy of mine has laid claim on the Leaper.  He wants it for a hood ornament for his Berkeley. 

HundredDollarCar
HundredDollarCar New Reader
7/3/20 9:44 p.m.

Rear end is probably on its second life, chromed, and under someone's street rod build.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/4/20 7:17 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Yep- even with no drivetrai Ii n at all there's loads of good parts here.  In addition to everything you noted, it has both gas tanks and TWO decent-looking OE-type SU fuel pumps.  I know a guy here who can diamond-lap the points for me, too.

A buddy of mine has laid claim on the Leaper.  He wants it for a hood ornament for his Berkeley. 

On the fuel pump points just fold a piece of 1000 grit over and slide it through the points..  

Those are single fuel pumps aren't they? Not the double ended fuel pump later Jaguars had?  

7/6/20 8:31 a.m.

In reply to HundredDollarCar :

I know the guy who pulled it.  It's going under an E-type vintage race car. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/6/20 9:15 a.m.

The track on the sedan is 4 ( or is it 6 ) inches wider than an XKE  which is only 50 inches wide. 
If you use the XKE axles and lower suspicion arms it still won't work because the cage is too wide .  

HundredDollarCar
HundredDollarCar New Reader
7/6/20 9:20 a.m.

Good to hear.  Could be considered a promotion.  Either way, it lives on.

7/6/20 11:34 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I may have misheard the car type, but it was def an old Jag racer of some sort.

1 ... 14 15 16 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ybh5hd7dl948ncnK5cDco5gBckKYq8XpKX68TcRMR8hEdZdlxve5Ga4KMlLl9Sh3