ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
2/1/17 10:43 p.m.

To preface, I'm still in highschool living with my parents and don't have a ton of cash to go spending on the car of me dreams or any car really. I'm just curious and have a lot of questions.

Okay first and foremost, why is it that import companies only seem to want to import JDM cars and when I try to find info on how to import a European car (a BMW e30 Touring) to the US, I can't find much of anything or any companies that would have this car in stock so I could buy it through an import company?

Second, my current car, a 1978 Mercedes 240D, is giving and has been giving me a massive headache since day one of buying it. I just replaced the starter and no longer have any money to get the vacuum system checked out and have decided its time to sell her and buy something that doesn't pain me to drive as much. So, I'm curious about what you guys think the best car that won't take to much maintenance and that I could still look cool driving would be. The only real criteria I have is that it's 1995 or newer and costs no more than $10k and is preferably manual. If you guys have any cars that I'm overlooking that I really should consider, but doesn't fit this criteria, feel free to list them I'm really open to anything.

As for cars I've been considering but that I'm not sure of are:

1. 2005 Mercedes E320 Wagon (however its not manual)
  2. 2003 Mercedes E500 (Again its not manual)
  3. BMW E46 325i (This has major potential)
  4. BMW E30 325i Touring (This is the one I want, but I'd obviously have to import it or pay way to much money)
  5. Fiat 124 spider,
  6. MGB Spider,
  7. Porsche 914,
  8. Alfa Romeo Spider( None of these last 4 fit age criteria but are still sorta cool)
  9. VW Squareback,
  10. VW T2 Camper (Again these last 2 don't fit the age criteria)

Thanks to everyone who spends the time to read and respond to this long post!

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/1/17 11:16 p.m.

Anything vintage is going to take some wrenching. It can be fun and can be a great learning experience, but it will also be frustrating at times and may leave you without a car at times. I think it will be really hard to find something old that looks cool, and will be reliable and affordable.

How about a nice Volvo? Fits with what seems to be your Euro and wagon preferences, came with manual transmissions, are pretty thick on the ground in the Pacific NW, and are known for durability. They are also known to be fairly safe, which always helps out with the parents.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/1/17 11:23 p.m.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/5953913961.html

Manual transmission V70, asking $3500 in Bremerton.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/2/17 12:06 p.m.

Out of the choices listed, I'd go with an E46 BMW. They are thick on the ground, and inexpensive. They are also well built, have a huge network of enthusiasts who can help you out, and most importantly, they are fun to drive. They are also new enough to be safe, and well equipped.

Other good choices would be a Lexus IS300, and a Infinity G35. Both came with manuals, both are safe, reasonably modern and fun.

Then, save your $$ and keep looking for that E30 Touring you want so badly. Look to the North, as they imported them into Canada. You can probably find one there, but yes, you'll pay a premium.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for giving us old guys hope in the future! We need more kids out there loving cars and driving manuals!

trucke
trucke Dork
2/2/17 12:19 p.m.

Welcome to the forum. When I was your age had to go to the grocery store and buy a car magazine. This forum is way cooler!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
2/2/17 9:07 p.m.

In reply to ToxicTurtl3: Because most your age are looking for JDM drift monsters. You are an exception. As Joe Gearin said, E46 BMW would be the best choice. Welcome to the madness.

ToxicTurtl3
ToxicTurtl3 New Reader
2/2/17 11:19 p.m.

Thanks you guys for the nice welcome!

ae86andkp61 wrote: http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/5953913961.html Manual transmission V70, asking $3500 in Bremerton.

Thank is pretty awesome, I don't think I've ever seen a manual version of that car.

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
2/3/17 10:54 p.m.

You have some great choices on your list but since no one else said it the answer is always Miata.

We got one for my son 18 months ago, he's 22 now, and he hasn't looked back.

I've driven (on track mind you) everything from 700hp Vipers to some rapid single seat race cars and a Miata is the most fun car you will ever drive. If I didn't have the Datsun I vintage race plus a Formula 500 for autocross I'd have another Miata.

For street cars I've owned a wide variety; Volvo 142, Ford Galaxie, MR2, CRX Datsun and Miata. The Miata made mundane trips fun, plus they are sturdy as all get out.

If I had to pick one off the list I'd go with the 325 BMW......otherwise you know the answer.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lGfvqxaCYaKUHBEgG85lP803d9fj2JXJ83b0MYER3PrSQ2yLWKMUw8AwEbwReiCy