Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/1/18 3:27 p.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Story and Photos by Tim Suddard

Can Jaguar's Latest Compare to the Brand's Iconic E-Type?

At first blush, comparing a modern supercar against a classic sports car is a waste of time. There is just nothing …

Read the rest of the story

crgrbrts
crgrbrts
8/1/18 5:02 p.m.

Though the F-Type is undoubtedly light years ahead technologically (and in terms of crash worthiness), the E-Type is still immeasurably more beautiful. The E-Type is a work of high industrial art. The F-Type is -- well -- a car.

ClearwaterZ
ClearwaterZ New Reader
8/1/18 5:59 p.m.

Always loved the beautiful body lines of the “C”, “D” and E-Type. Not so much in love with the maintenance and cost issues associated with longer term ownership. The F-Type has the elements of the Classic Body styling that really appealed to me. First Sports/GT in decades that I decided to go buy.

Went to the local JAG Dealership - picked out a White Coupe and sat inside. Almost at once the thrill was gone. Drivers door window ledge was about even with the top of my left shoulder, the rear deck area was so high I couldn’t recline the seat more than a few degrees. The center console took way too much room out of the passenger and floor space. In short I felt like I was shoe-horned into a Formula 1 cockpit instead of a Sports - Grand Touring car. 

So to this day I look at the F-Type and its beautiful body styling - and wish it had been about 7/8’s its current size, with the room, comfort and cargo capacity a 240Z had. So like so many others you mentioned - I’ll always stop and admire that beautiful body…but now knowing the beauty to my eye is only skin deep.

Britbiker1
Britbiker1
8/3/18 2:33 a.m.

The E and  F Types are both nice cars but if you can't pick a winner, take a look at the XK8.  Gorgeous bodywork, modern drivetrain and very affordable.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/5/18 7:36 a.m.

BritBiker1, I have been becoming more and more intrigued with the XK8. I think these cars desever a bit more of our attention.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/5/18 3:43 p.m.

I think the F type is the most beautiful modern car. And the v8 is one of the most beautiful automotive sounds you'll experience. If I had 70k I'd buy a used F type R with no second thoughts. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/6/18 6:39 p.m.

Xk8?   Didn't someone joke around this parts some years ago concerning the looks?  As in 'nice Taurus coupe/convertible you got there.'  They were also so thick on the ground at one time they never grabbed me especially.  indecision

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/19/18 6:27 p.m.

nutherjrfan,

The XK8 was an iffy $80,000 car. It is a pretty compelling $8000 car!

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
8/20/18 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard :

Dang. yeah, I see that it's right in the "compete with used convertible Mustangs" pricing segment. 

I'm sure the running cost for an XK8 is WAY more than an NC or ND Answer... but much more head turning in the right color. 

Did any XK8 models come with a manual transmission? Hmmmmmm.

Mr.
Mr. New Reader
2/18/19 10:41 p.m.

X100 Jaguars both the XK8 and the XKR obviously returned Jaguar to its E-type heritage, just look at them side by side.  As the owner of a convertible X100 XKR, I can tell you that there are many gorgeous examples available at under $10,000.00!  The 4.0L cars (pre-2003) have plastic secondary tensioners that if and when they break cause catastrophic engine failure but which can be easily replaced for under a $1000.00, but for a paltry sum you can own a future classic that is sexier looking than any modern day car including the F-type.  Even the X150 XK/XKR is a marvelous GT (and a much better riding, handling, and supremely more powerful car is coming down into Camry pricing territory (I have a 5.0L XKR coupe as well).  I just recently had my 2002 'vert mini-restored with a new respray, engine rebuild and suspension freshening (after 175,000 miles, it deserved it) and spent about what I paid for it more than 10 years ago.  But, I looked around and thought, "What other classic looking 'vert could I buy for under the $15,000.00 or so that I spent?"  There isn't one!  The F-type is a very fun to drive car, incredibly  fast, with an exhaust sound unparalleled in the automotive universe, and someday when my X150 expires I'd like to own one, but I have no illusions about its future classic status.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
2/24/19 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard :

I’m sorry one car is based off a real race car and the other car is the product of engineers complying with marketing, legal, safety, and budgetary considerations. 

One car is according to Enzo Ferrari the most beautiful car ever made. The other was designed by a committee.  

One is the greatest crumpet collector known to man, the other isn’t. 

One was designed to pass a crash test, the other passed a crash test  as an experiment. 

One was simply the best car they could make given it’s racing pedigree. The other was designed to a profit point.  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/24/19 4:14 p.m.

In reply to Mr. :

Tell me about your X150. I was looking at some 5.0 coupe versions this morning. They seem to be a beautiful 15k car maybe the most beautiful you can buy in that price range. 

Tberg
Tberg New Reader
2/27/19 10:51 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

yupididit,

The X150 5.0L car is a phenomenal automotive bargain.  It's gorgeous, nimble, and in XKR form, incredibly quick.  Shockingly so!  The supercharger provides torque at any speed, the ride is firm but not harsh at all (the 5.0L naturally aspirated XK has a bit softer suspension than the R versions), and if you want even more power than the 510hp from the factory, a simple tune and pulley swap from a number of experienced Jaguar tuners will get you over 600hp.  The other nice thing is that they are very reliable, something not usually associated with the Jaguar brand.  The drawbacks are if you're into high tech touch screens and great graphics, this is not your choice, and the back seats are strictly for parcels unless your passengers are double amputees.  Convertibles are quiet and coupes are just beautiful Aston Martin look alikes with better performance at a fraction of the price.  The one recurring service problem are the water pumps which want to seep (leak).  Another is the leather dashes want to "shrink" up and get wavy in warm climates.  Of the couple of dozen cars I've owned, it is far and away the best, and is comfortable on the track if so inclined (I've had mine there many times).  The best part is these MSRP $110,000+ cars can now be bought in very good condition starting in the low $20K range.  Below are a couple of pics of mine.  I have a customized rear end just because I wanted something different.

Tberg
Tberg New Reader
2/27/19 10:57 p.m.

And another.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DmDPBNRhWk2qVsnVgaklrwZa7trn9ysoJV7mF8LOWXJVZYvZlnlTP1Quqe3QCx70