1 2
Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
3/29/17 9:10 a.m.

So there

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
4/2/17 1:29 a.m.
Ian F wrote: If I could find one for cheap enough, I'd do a Spitfire or a TR7. Probably the latter since I think a hardtop example would be useful for other things - say maybe for rally-cross. And the engine bay is more accommodating of engine swaps. Actually... a TR7 just popped up on my local Triumph club FB feed. Hmm...

They made a V8 TR7 (called the TR8) it's rare but V8's aren't. I'm not sure how much horsepower a TR7's rear end will handle but I'm sure there are small V8's that would fit in easily and you could have fun on a really modest budget

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
4/2/17 1:35 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: FWIW, the challenge already recognizes vintage cars. I have a trophy for it. Also, what Ian says is very true and important. Which kind of reduces the choices to pretty common so that you can trash it, or have a serious plan for a cool hot rod, or go vintage racing with it. The last one is probably the best path to take. Look at Andrew's builds, and you can see that building a DIY racing chassis is well within the challenge- it's more up to skills and whatnot. And I ALMOST did it- as after I ran the Spider for 3 years, I got a '67 GT JR chassis that would have been a great vintage racer. But instead, I found a different car to try vintage racing. In hindsight- it was the wrong choice- as the Challenge build path would have been the same effort, cheaper, and would have been a blast to bring to Florida. But in the long run, the long term plan is more important than for a typical challenge car. edit- thinking a little more- it would make sense to allow some extra margin for Vintage cars, since it's harder to find them in the right price bracket.

I have the parts in the shop that would make a cool vintage racer but I don't have any costs to associate with them.. They are left overs from decades of racing.. Purchased for a hundred dollars or less and then parts stripped off used on other projects or sold off to re-coop money for the racing budget..

If we assume current market value, then it can't happen because of the silly price someone might pay for a rare part to finish his vintage car..

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
4/2/17 1:42 a.m.
TED_fiestaHP wrote: While some vintage or older cars can be made into either a track car or vintage race car for a reasonable budget, it could be difficult with a true budget cap. A track day version of the event could be done, but might need a higher budget, maybe $5,000. Not sure if the magazine would want the added risk involved with a low cost track event.

I believe there are people who can take a car they paid a few hundred dollars for and make a racer out of it.. Wait, that's the whole idea behind the challenge A Vintage racer would need to start with a Vintage car but if we allow "barn" finds, garage queens, etc. at the price paid decades ago the field opens back up again..

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/4/17 8:19 a.m.

Older cars are definitely welcome at the Challenge. I realize they were heavily reworked, but last year several older cars did quite well. Even if you don't have a top build, bring it and have some fun. As Joe also noted, our touring laps at the Mitty are also perfect for the older car. Come join us!

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
12/31/20 2:05 p.m.

Would the magazine ( either GRM or  Classic Motor Sports ) consider  localized versions of the Challenge done on a modest scale?  Travel costs can be massively outside the actual build costs and those dollars come from the same pocket. 
     I'm certain we could sister on some local autocross and drag race.   The  advantage would be people from the West coast,  Northern  states etc.  could hold their own regional events.  Even a handful of entrants at first would be fun and help promote your magazine at no cost to the magazine.  I know we briefly discussed such an event but it quickly got out of hand with an attempt to have the magazine standardize track times. 
  We should probably walk before we run. Hold regional events first to see what sort of response there is. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zY2iwOs2iLVqc1SArYThzCzoUorjqdh5srOqdqKGXAWmds1UkTA068T6GmD48gEi