mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi New Reader
8/29/08 7:33 a.m.

Is anyone else going to Limerock this weekend for the vintage races? I'm going on Saturday. Where are the best seats? Do we have access to walk through the pits? I've never been to watch a race - some car shows, club events - never as a plain ol spectator!

http://www.limerock.com/content/events-rolex-vintage

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
8/29/08 11:05 a.m.

Yes, you can walk through the pits.

Claiming out a little spot on "The Hill" early is probably best (and then leave some non-valuable stuff there and walk around). Bring some rain gear just in case. If you sit on a blanket and someone puts a folding chair in front of you, that can be a problem. I usually bring a folding chair and a blanket so I have both options.

If you are "down" the hill, nearer the fence, you'll get less people in front of you, but you may be too low to see the Main Straight. Six of one---half dozen of the other.

Do not sit near garbage cans....the bees can be terrible.

Look for my pal, Bob's red ~Allard~ Coupe....an amazing beast. He's been to every LR Vintage with that car. Also, the many Bugattis are excellent. And the Wang's Ferraris and Maseratis are a real trip. And the Morgans, MGs, Healeys, ALFAs...etc. All great!

There's a mid-way behind the specator hill with stuff to buy and look at. I've seen Stirling Moss and John Fitch is there signing autographs. Phill Hill has been there in the past.....obviously not this year. :(

LR Vintage is a great time and I'm sorry I'll miss it this year. Have fun!

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi New Reader
8/31/08 4:13 p.m.

It was a good time. Thanks for the advice - we set up our chairs on the hill and went for a stroll through the paddocks during practice. Around lunch time we went back to our seats for the races. We sat on the hill and kept moving (like everyone else) as the shade shifted!

I didn't see Bob's Allard. Lots of cool cars though!

iceracer
iceracer Reader
9/2/08 11:15 a.m.

I went on Monday. A great day. When I go I don't set in one spot, I wander. Go to the paddock, look at the cars, watch the cars going into and through Big Bend. Then I go to other corners to watch the action. Lime Rock has added a bunch of new spectator areas, neat. There were almost as many interesting cars in the parking lot as those on the track. I even got to chat briefly with John Fitch. What a gentleman.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/2/08 12:43 p.m.

I can't make it this year, but next year I'm planning on going. Lime Rock Park is one of the tracks I've always wanted to visit, but haven't yet had the chance. I own Chris Svedo's "The Secret Valley of Racing" documentary, and it really makes the place seem a bit magical.

Gary
Gary Reader
9/2/08 1:19 p.m.

Unfortunately for me I had other commitments this year and it's the first time in around 10 years that I've missed this event. Anybody have pictures?

Incidentally 4-5 years ago I saw the red Allard coupe that aeronca65t mentioned above in a spectacular duel with a very hot Spitfire driven by Curt Bain. It was a great race until the Allard spun at the end of the back straight and went into the Armco backwards. There was quite a bit of damage to the right rear and I wondered if he'd be able to get it fixed. But he was back the following year and the repairs were nearly flawless, just a slight difference in paint color. It's a beautiful car.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi New Reader
9/2/08 6:22 p.m.

Pictures? http://z.modeltrainguide.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album58

I took a bunch of movies with my little camera but only uploaded a few. The quality is so-so. http://vimeo.com/user717500/videos

So is Monday "better"?

I'm looking forward to next year already!

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Club Editor
9/3/08 9:28 a.m.

A few years ago at the Lime Rock Vintage Festival the PA system glitched out in the middle of the Star Spangled Banner. As soon as the crowd realized that the singer's lovely voice was no longer audible, they started to take up the slack. First the brave ones sung, but soon the entire hill and infield were a chorus. It was actually quite moving, one of my favorite track moments of all time.

iceracer
iceracer Reader
9/3/08 10:24 a.m.

Mikeatrpi, the schedule for saturday and monday are pretty much the same. I just chose to go on Monday. I wonder if the Sat. crowd would be less ?

Scott, that probably would have brought tears.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gUNOD3otJ9Q0aN6omZH62XlYl3R2r54VvA1DTt2fCNJ3lG1LbJE4DrkiBuhTZOm5