wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
2/22/17 11:19 p.m.

I like magazine articles comparing classic cars with modern sports cars.

I do not like such articles based upon a false premise. The 'By The Numbers' feature had four classics rated at original gross power and torque figures, plus a modern one - a current Miata with modern net power and torque figures. I gather the same thing was done in the previous issue but didn't buy it so don't know if the same error was made.

If they want to have an informative comparison, it can't be done comparing apples and oranges - pick one or the other and stick with it, guys.

PS - other than that, great issue - although you guys are daft wanting to restore that Elan - I shudder just thinking about it!!

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
2/23/17 9:24 a.m.

They might have used the numbers that were used back then. The info used more recently is more real world, net or close to what is actually at the wheels. Back in the good old days often gross power was listed.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
2/23/17 1:44 p.m.

If I were doing it, I'd leave the familiar (to old car guys) gross numbers alone, and increase the Miata figures by a suitable fraction so that they were more directly comparable to gross ratings.

What multiplier to use is problematic, but somewhere around 80% is generally used, so the Miata would go from 155 net to around 190, which would show the real difference between it and the old cars more accurately.

The only cites I've ever seen were on 1971 cars at the time of conversion. Here you go:

1971 Base 350 Corvette engine: Gross = 270HP. Net = 210HP.

1971 LT-1 Corvette engine: Gross = 330HP. Net = 270HP.

1971 LS-5 Corvette engine: Gross = 365HP. Net = 285HP.

1971 LS-6 Corvette engine: Gross = 425HP. Net = 325HP.

Credit to Karl Ludvigson for getting that info out of GM.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/26/17 8:07 a.m.

Guys, I'll talk to David at our editorial meeting about the numbers. We are doing this page for some fun and I am not sure how seriously it should be taken. As for the Elan, I guess I am the guilty one on that whole deal. That said, if you saw how far we have come and how quickly and how little we have invested, you might call us crazy like foxes!

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
2/26/17 11:04 a.m.

Yeah, if they either converted the modern car's output to old style gross, so the comparison actually meant something, or even just added a sentence saying that the two systems were not the same, that would be great.

And my comment on the Elan comes in part from my experience restoring and racing my 1963 TVR Grantura. I must have itched from fibreglass for weeks. Apparently it never occurred to the TVR factory that wrapping fibreglass around frame tubes of lighter gauge than modern exhaust pipe would inevitably result in disintegration of the frame. I chose to cut it apart and create brackets to convert the restored body to a bolt on installation on the restored frame.

The good part is that the body can be brought back from really decrepit condition, like your Elan. Although once the gel coat starts cracking from age, there is nothing to be done but to sand it all off and replace it - a really tedious job.

At one point I had three fibreglass cars - Jensen CV-8, Jamaican bodied MGA, and the Grantura. I still itch just thinking about it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/4/17 8:23 a.m.

Yeah, it's supposed to be lighthearted look a couple of fun cars. As far as I know, there's no easy way to convert gross to net numbers, so we used the factory figures.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
4/4/17 1:38 p.m.

I understand that it varies. If you don't say anything about it, you (lightheartedly if you like) mislead readers into thinking you are making a direct comparison. Adding one line saying that net values are different from gross and that they may be around 20% lower than the same engine rated gross would at least warn them and give them a chance to actually learn something.

Unless it is corporate policy not to sweat the facts, of course.....

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
4/4/17 9:09 p.m.

It would be great to see the Miata compared to the older cars but with the older cars tweaked to what an average person would do today, i.e. modern tires, maybe a bit of an exhaust, intake, cam, sport springs, sway bars modern shocks and brake pads. Then run a test just to see what a typical non stock, (but not all out) classic street car can compare. I know it's a lot of work and a ton of variables, but a real life comparison none the less.

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
4/5/17 2:32 a.m.

wish mine was here

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/6/17 4:22 p.m.

We could compare a mildly modified Spitfire with a Miata in stock or similarly modified format.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b81GyjyLgDRynkJSwK5LQxtXdpHgxKxBXT5E56TUZDqhVnCXclhtLQS6zyIBZPdE