frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
1/14/18 9:32 a.m.

Cleaning my shop trying to get a gallon to fit in a  space suitable for a quart as usual and rediscovered my fuel injection box.  

A set of gauges to work on the GM fuel injection used on Corvettes from 1957-1965 and a few Pontiacs  along with the rare fuel injected Nomad wagon.   It’s been decades since I last set one up.  Or for that matter even seen them. 

But the real prize was a few Hilborn pieces.  Not particularly rare or expensive. But the fuel pump is free, I mean it still turns freely.  

Gee I wonder what mechanical injection will do on a Jag V12 ( insert smiley face here). Sure make it easy to use E85!!!  Plus I still have the Kinsler dial a jet assembly  I used to use.  So I could have a jet for each variation of E85 I’m likely to come across driving on the road.  Plus one for non-oxygenated premium and one for just premium  with one spare.  A Luddite’s version of Flex Fuel if you will. 

I love Hilborn injection, it’s so simple and yet capable of so much power.   The mechanical pump speeds up and delivers more fuel the faster the engine runs.  At an idle, Oh and it will idle nice and smooth if you don’t have some radicle camshaft, the pump is putting out very little fuel.  Later they got more complex and added a high speed richness circuit to supplement more fuel as engines got bigger and more powerful.   

All you have to do is realize that the bypass pill determines how rich the engine is. And it works backward. That is if the hole is big the mixture is lean.  If the hole is small the mixture is rich.  It works on bypass. Dump a lot of fuel back into the tank with a big hole and there is less for the engine

There is even a way to start engines on the key without resorting to squirting fuel into the injector trumpets.  

My last little trophy is the optional fuel ramp pump used in Lucas fuel injected D Type Jaguars.  It’s too badly worn to be anything but a show piece but it’s still a very nice piece of kit to put in a showcase.  

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/5/18 8:13 a.m.

Got any pictures of this stuff? I love stuff like this.

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
2/5/18 1:17 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

I can dig it all back out and take pictures.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8UDWEJt3OLNQIFpTpjM8Ccw68G9Ewm3qwrPLpvxwzZTFG3QbcImJaISbncZNa946