David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/28/08 4:11 p.m.

I know, I know, I have been slow on the Mini updates. Carl recently came to visit and gave the Mini some love, so here's an update: http://classicmotorsports.net/project-cars/1971-innocenti-mini-cooper/getting-carl-heideman-tune-/

Also, I drove the car to work again today. Runs nicely.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand None
1/28/08 6:08 p.m.

I had mine out this weekend as well after a bit of work - new Group 2 arches and deluxe chrome side trim, as seen on the old works cars. They're so much fun to drive.

Hmm, now I feel I should get underhood and love my Mini's greasy bits as well. I'm sure it could be improved. Thanks for the inspiration.

ddavidv
ddavidv None
1/29/08 6:08 a.m.

Salt on the roads here. Mine won't be seen for quite awhile. :(

David S. Wallens
1/31/08 9:27 p.m.

I ordered some Mini parts the other day, so the car will be getting some more attention soon.

ddavidv
ddavidv None
2/1/08 6:35 a.m.

I'd love to order Mini parts, but with the current exchange rate I'm waiting. That Newton Commercial carpet set is just going to have to wait.

David S. Wallens
2/1/08 5:31 p.m.

Newton has Innocenti interior bits, too, but at the moment they're too pricey for me, too. My order is more humble: valve cover gasket, stock-type shift knob, correct window cranks, etc.

David S. Wallens
2/6/08 11:06 p.m.

And those Mini parts arrived today. For so many parts, it certainly wasn't a big box.

Keith
2/7/08 12:47 p.m.

The joy of owning a Mini. You have more storage space in your garage.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
2/7/08 12:55 p.m.

Keith, you ever seen how David parks the Mini? Sideways, in front of the Miata.

David S. Wallens
2/16/08 11:34 a.m.

And just for you, Keith, an update on the parking skates: http://classicmotorsports.net/project-cars/1971-innocenti-mini-cooper/skating-around/

By the way, your car got me thinking about covers for my driving lamps. While looking around I scored three NOS Carello driving lamps. Now I just need a fourth.

Keith
2/16/08 8:46 p.m.

Gotta have those Lucas light covers :) I think I got them from Mini Spares. They're not covering anything exotic in my case though.

I can highly recommend a set of vintage-style arches. Those plastic ones irked me.

Gojacks are pretty cool. We have a couple at work and they're handy. Me, I use four $10 moving dollies from Harbor Freight (rated for 1000 lbs each, they seem to be happy sharing a 1450 lb car across four of them) and a floor jack. Either that or I'll just stick the floor jack under the back of the car and use it to pull the butt sideways.

Love the black roof. I've toyed with the idea of going, but around here white (Old English White, of course) makes more sense. But my boss says it looks like a band-aid...

David S. Wallens
2/16/08 11:05 p.m.

The big thing about changing arches is that I'd probably have to drill more holes.

Keith
2/17/08 7:54 a.m.

Yes, probably. And that's a concern if you're looking at concours. But I'm sure that car didn't come with plastic Rover arches in the first place. What is correct for a 1971 Innocenti?

One thing I would recommend would be to drill out the rivets in your existing arches (mine used to break all the time anyhow) and replace them with rivnuts. More secure and you can now remove/replace the arches easily.

David S. Wallens
2/17/08 11:57 a.m.

My car originally came without any flares, but I kind of like these. I dunno. Hmmmm, I'll have to take another look at yours.

Keith
2/17/08 11:54 p.m.

Mine are Group 2 arches, as seen on the old works competition cars. If it was good enough for Monte Carlo, it's good enough for me :) They're also the ones that let you keep the chrome side strip.

Wood and Picketts seem to be pretty popular in the US and don't have exposed fasteners. Nice and smooth.

ddavidv
ddavidv None
2/18/08 5:34 a.m.

Just make sure you have enough tire to justify arches. Nothing looks dumber than a Mini with arches and stock skinny tires!

David S. Wallens
2/18/08 7:28 p.m.

I'm running the 165/70R10 Yokohamas. They fill the current arches. I'm still deciding if I want to drill more holes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GJYWzGsnfKJkX7v7gvTaRO6dBTbIU9OQq6R1EM3wAEQ9GMkxC6Y16mlxULLabarF