dabird
dabird New Reader
6/12/08 8:47 a.m.

here are a couple of photos of my new Saab. I'm planning on making the trip out to Kansas to drive it home sometime in the next two weeks. Photobucket Photobucket

The car is really solid which is pretty rare in this part of the country.

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
6/12/08 10:35 a.m.

That's awesome! Good luck with her.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette New Reader
6/12/08 10:37 a.m.

Cool car I just seen a wagon last night , 2 cylinder a -95 4th owner . he said something about just 2 imported that year and his was one of them I am trying to upload a video to whipteachr1 on youtube of it but heres a pik .

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/12/08 12:38 p.m.

Very cool. What part of Kansas?

Make sure to add it to Reader Rides

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/12/08 12:55 p.m.

So you're driving it home from Kansas to Florida? Awesome. Do you think you could give us daily posts with your progress? Would be very cool to watch.

Margie

dabird
dabird New Reader
6/12/08 12:57 p.m.

The car is in westwood just outside of Kansas city. I'm in Louisville, KY. I'm going to try an document the trip with plenty of photos. although i always say that before these type of things and then end up not taking any photos at all.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar New Reader
6/12/08 12:59 p.m.

You know I'm excited about there being another one in town, Matt.... So excited that I'm going to have to get mine out and drive it a bit when you get back into town. Should make for some great pics.

dabird
dabird New Reader
6/12/08 1:07 p.m.

Louisville, KY is rapidly becoming the saab V4 capital of the South/Midwest.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/12/08 1:33 p.m.

Dabird, that's just a few miles from my house. And I've never seen it!. Dang. My father-in-law is watching for a 96, too.

You lucky devil.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette New Reader
6/12/08 3:07 p.m.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KV0YVU8W0wk

notchback
notchback
6/12/08 5:42 p.m.

Really looking forward to having another 96 in the neighborhood! We leave for Kansas City a week from tomorrow to bring home the new acquisition.

Here's my daily driver, a '70 96:

Photobucket

Photobucket

And my project, a '72 96 UK-spec model:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now we just need to get the Louisville Saab V4 club going.

notchback
notchback New Reader
6/12/08 5:51 p.m.

Yeah, I think a few more than two 95s were imported to the States in '68. That guy must be drunk.

I just realized that I'm also drinking a PBR with a beer cozy as I type this.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/13/08 10:50 a.m.

“I just realized that I'm also drinking a PBR with a beer cozy as I type this.”

Classy! (Though I can't poke fun... I actually LIKE PBR.)

Margie

subrew
subrew
6/13/08 2:08 p.m.

Nice looking little beast. My first car was a 1970 Saab 96 that a customer abandoned at my stepdad's shop after 5 years. A quick sheriff's sale, and it was mine for $50. It took a thorough restoration to make it road worthy however. Medium built 1500, F4 cam, 32/36DGV, extractor exhaust, konis, lowered, 6" wide front wheels etc. Original Silversand paint buffed out nicely too.

I drove it for about a year before building my hot rod Yugo. Although, I still raced our '68 Sonett for several years after the fact. And of course we usually had a few dozen Sonetts and 96s in the shop/yard.

Chris H.

dabird
dabird New Reader
6/15/08 9:51 p.m.

Well I've hit a slight snag in my plans to drive the car home. The car had been sitting for a year or so but supposedly ran well when it was parked. The owner got it running with a hot battery and some fresh gas this weekend. Now for the snag.... the oil light is on. He seems to think it's the oil pressure switch and i tend to agree thats the most likely problem. It does make me nervous about driving all the way to kansas only to find out the oil pressure is crap. I talked to him about checking the connections to the switch and maybe replacing the switch itself but we will see how it goes. I'm not sure i really have a way to tow it home so i hope it gets sorted.

dabird
dabird New Reader
6/16/08 9:00 p.m.

back in business! New oil pressure switch did the trick. leaving in 4 days to pick it up

T_Rocco
T_Rocco New Reader
6/17/08 11:17 p.m.

Very Cool car! I lived in Newport News, VA for three years '84,'85,'86 while my sub was in the yards. There was a shop on the main drag, I think it was Jefferson Ave? It was a Saab parts/repair place I bought my '74 99 EMS there, one of my best cars ever! I almost bought a 96 just down the road at a used car lot. I drove the car and loved it! I thought the way the windows worked was the coolest! I have a great appreciation for the things that work with fewer parts! It had a couple of problems, the biggest of which was that the passenger compartment appeared to be an intregral part of the exhaust system! The cabin was filled with smokey exhaust as long as you had it running. I would not have been put off except I really did not have a proper place to work on things so I had to pass on it... That car will always be "one that got away" for me! Cogratulations a great looking 96! Regards, Tony

T_Rocco
T_Rocco New Reader
6/17/08 11:21 p.m.

Chris, I'd be interested in hearing more about the "hot rod Yugo" and seeing some photos if you have some. Regards, Tony

GBeckerman
GBeckerman
6/26/08 5:52 p.m.

Did you make it home OK?

GBtheSAABnut

dabird
dabird New Reader
6/26/08 10:34 p.m.

well it was an adventure for sure. I got to KC and tried to call the owner off the car. Turns out he gave me the wrong cell #. A quick call home and some internet stalking and i had his work #. They assured me he was on his way and sure enough he showed up about 40 minutes later. Photobucket

The car started puking coolant shortly after that photo was taken. we quickly figured out the fan wasn't turning on. We hardwired it to the battery and we were off. The car seemed to be performing well until about 50 miles outside of KC when it started blowing smoke all over the place. Popped the hood and found oil all over the place, I couldn't see any obvious problems.I checked the valvecover bolts and bingo, loose as a goose. Tighten them up and problem solved. Photobucket

The next 300 miles went pretty well then the car died with out warning. After some head scratching we finally figured out I was out of gas. Did I mention the fuel gauge didn't work? a gallon of gas and some reverse gear action on the highway and i was at the gas station filling up.

I got about 50 feet from the station when the car died again. Fuel pump was dead. The car came with a new pump so we swapped it. Back on the road. I made it another 5 miles before the car started to buck and sputter. at this point it was dark, late and after various attempts at solving the problem we gave up. i had AAA tow me 100 miles further, dropped the car at a gas station and drove home. I came back the next day with a trailer and towed it home.

after some rest and in the daylight we figured out we pinched a fuel line when we swapped the pump. all fixed now and I've been driving the car everyday since. Photobucket

Ian F
Ian F New Reader
6/27/08 11:44 a.m.

Very cool.

I looked at and test drive a '73 95 a couple of years ago for my girlfriend... she's been pining for one ever since... which for my g/f means it's only a matter of time...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R2qn7yWxrboeUbjHgedjsr5gvkyqQEzluPzFBZBFh7OktgPBMDUtDWpAjS4lrl03