Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/20/16 1:30 p.m.

As I travel this big world of ours and visit events ranging from the Monterey Historics to the Goodwood Festival of Speed to the regional Triumph gathering I attended last weekend, I get to chat with a lot of readers.

No matter what the initial topic, it usually doesn’t take long for the conversation to come around to vintage racing. …

Read the rest of the story

dougie
dougie Reader
10/23/16 12:14 p.m.

Well put Tim. I would add one additional rule that I've had to remind myself of through the years, have fun. Leading up to a race weekend can be stressful when things don't go as planned. At times it's easy to loose sight that this crazy vintage racing we all love is just for fun.

gjz30075
gjz30075 HalfDork
10/23/16 3:38 p.m.

Good rules to bring up every so often.

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
10/23/16 4:03 p.m.

Yes good rules. Fun should be the number one priority. If you want to be super serious then go to the Runoffs or something similar. I drive very agressive but always leave room for people to race. At the end of the day I want to be able trade stories and have a laugh with the gang.

Tom

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
10/23/16 9:35 p.m.

I've never raced, but I have similar rules when I build up a classic for the street. A). Make it comfortable and safe, (seats, seat belts, steering wheel, mirror, fire extinguisher, everything bolted down well including the battery, lights etc. all working, etc.). Make sure all systems are in good nick and have been gone through.

B). Do brakes and suspension first, make sure they are up to the snuff and if you plan on adding more power, make sure they are up to that too.

C) Get to know the car well before adding more power, drive it safely, push it in big empty parking lots if you have to push it to find it's tendencies.

D). Don't go crazy with the power, have enough to merge and pass safely not more than an old car, or you can handle. Too much power can actually be less fun, (for adults) ....

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/24/16 6:19 p.m.

Thanks for the comments. I am prepping the car to race at Savannah this weekend. Hope to see some of you there.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
10/27/16 1:44 p.m.

Good rules for all racing. Will share.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AxaXnFfDahZmXfZ61ZIMpYku41wmxGhP53kZllbYw0C5gR0v7UhUEu1d4BzKx6E0