AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
4/1/11 9:29 p.m.

Spare tire or not?

Modern tires, junk, cell phones and road side.

Is it time to ditch the spare and jack in your classic?

I'm thinking about it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/1/11 10:57 p.m.

A question for your question: Is the spare in your trunk so old that it won't do much, anyway? I have wondered that myself. I also can't remember the last time I mounted a spare on the side of the road. But, yes, the 911 still carries its factory spare.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
4/2/11 6:14 a.m.

GT6 has a full size tire from my 13" wheel set. But its a pita to get in there and I could take with me all my back up supplies and then some if the space was free.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
4/2/11 6:31 a.m.

My Miata has the orginal '00, space-saver spare (mounted right next to the original '00 battery, by the way.

About once a year, I check it for air (I just did this, in fact). It's never been on the car, but I think it's good "insurance". I also have a good flashlight and I always make sure that I loosen and re-tighten the wheels so I can remove the wheels by hand (in case the last guy installed them with an air wrench). I do this with all our cars.

sprite_driver28
sprite_driver28 New Reader
4/2/11 7:48 a.m.

My '06 MINI "S" has no spare. Just a little compressor and slime. I drove from New Mexico to Alaska and back with no spare and had no probs and I'm thrilled to be rid of the run flats. My daughter's Miata actually used her spare a couple months ago. I don't think I'll have room for a spare in the Bugeye (fuel cell, etc.).

DneprDave
DneprDave Reader
4/2/11 10:59 a.m.

My MG TD would look funny without it's spare.

Dave

Series6
Series6 Reader
4/2/11 1:36 p.m.

I'm old fashioned. I like carbs, manual trans, and having a spare. Mine's older but would get me out of a bad location if necessary. I have Hagerty Roadside but my main concern is getting stuck in a bad location. Back east you might think of heavy rain or hail. Out here with our late spring or summer you don't want to get stuck out on a stretch of road waiting for assistance. Yes I always carry water against the possibility of dehydration but I'd rather swap a spare, drive real slow, and get somewhere better. Even if it's under an underpass, which out here may be a few miles down the road.

I'm involved in Urban Search & Rescue and dehydration scares the daylights out of me. Years ago I experienced hypothermia to the point where, as I warmed up, I started to shiver. I have great respect for what the invironment can do to you if you're not prepared.

On my Alpine it's easy to check the spare's air pressure. I will carry a spare, tools, the cel phone, and water. All are indispencable as far as I'm concerned. I carry the same in my daily driver. (ok-I don't carry many tools in the '09 Civic)

If I run out of room for stuff and I'm planning to go somewhere, I'll sacrifice elsewhere. Never on safety.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
4/2/11 2:45 p.m.

I carry a spare in my '03 MINI. To stand it up in the back I had to use a 14" wheel, which won't fit over the front brakes, but I'll do two tire changes if needed. I like having a spare !

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
4/2/11 3:20 p.m.

We don't like not having a spare we can count on.

When we bought the nice 1800ES in late '04, we replaced all 5 tires.

The Spitfire didn't come with one, so that was fixed asap.

Like DeadSkunk, the '03 MCS didn't come with a spare. Since the run-flats were replaced in less than a year, a compact spare from the base Cooper, kept in a custom tire bag behind the driver's seat.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
4/6/11 3:41 p.m.

I've had enough bad luck with tires (including one time I found a previous owner had swapped the correct spare tire on my Civic for a five lug spare!) that I do not want to have a car without a spare, and I normally try to make sure the spare is safe and in good working order.

blackrabbit
blackrabbit New Reader
4/6/11 4:30 p.m.

I cant leave home w/out a spare and tools.. even in my modern cars/truck. ive had to use a spare very few times but i would sure rather ruin a spare tire and rim than have to limp on a rare/expensive alloy wheel.... having gotten a flat on an old mini countryman years ago only to find the spare wheel flat!! i still put it on and ruined it getting home but it saved a rare ATS alloy.. now all my spares are checked regularly!

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
4/7/11 6:40 a.m.

Having put on three spares in the last few years (flats spread amongst my kids and I), I vote for keeping the spare. As far as I'm concerned, it's part of the car.

I have upgraded the lug wrench to something usable, in all of our cars.

TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
4/7/11 1:39 p.m.

I had a flat while rushiing my son to the airport. it was a lot faster for me to change it than to phone for road side assistance. My son didn't miss his flight.

lasttr
lasttr New Reader
4/7/11 10:51 p.m.

I carry a spare and a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a deep socket. I just hope I can get the jack under the car if I need to.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
4/8/11 2:43 p.m.

The Morgan, like Dave said, would look odd with out it...

Leo

blackrabbit
blackrabbit New Reader
4/8/11 3:08 p.m.

for sure if the car was designed to incorporate it into the exterior bodywork ya gotta keep it... like the TD and morgan.. also gotta keep the "4th" wheel on this.. Pudge in the Dnepr by blackrabbitracing, on Flickr

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
4/8/11 3:56 p.m.

Come to think about, I have had 2 flats on my Subaru in the last 2 years. One from a wreck and the other abnormal tire ware. Subarus come with full size spares.

Leo

OFracing
OFracing Reader
4/8/11 3:56 p.m.

The last time I had a flat, a blow out actually, was in the motorhome 2 years ago. I had a spare but when I took the cover off it, it looked pretty dry rotted. I was able to drive off the highway 2 miles to a truck shop and spent 20 hours of quality time in a parking lot while they found me a tire.

$450 (cash only please) and I was back on the road. I picked up a new spare ($180 + mounting) when I got home.

Spare tire, won't leave home with out it.

mike

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OzFd0qmfvbolPZ7oFEfNUFpZqH0Mx7kdmgy4LqlVgYMer7pSplwhpi4Kpo1mhDft