Feb. 12, 2015 8:06 a.m.

As I was driving around Baltimore a few days ago, I spotted an old Benz in the corner of my eye. It was sitting fairly abandoned-looking in the empty parking lot of a sorta-sketchy part of town, near a liquor store. I didn't have time to stop, so I took the following quick, very craigslist-worthy cell-phone picture:

IMG-20150209-02828

Yesterday, finding myself in the same part of town, I got some cajones and went in to the liquor store to inquire about the car. Behind a very thick glass partition, I spoke with a fellow who managed to convey to me in a thickly Asian-influenced English that the car was his, and he might be interested in selling it, that it ran, and that the gas tank had some problem.

I took some more pictures:

IMG-20150211-02869

IMG-20150211-02873

IMG-20150211-02874

IMG-20150211-02872

IMG-20150211-02870

IMG-20150211-02871 (1)

pinchvalve MegaDork
Feb. 12, 2015 8:52 a.m.

Here's what I can tell you about that car.

1. Fuel Filter is good.
  2. Needs a battery.
  3. Run.
Feb. 12, 2015 9:19 a.m.

Yeah. It has severe rocker rust (as in, most of the rockers are missing) and the floor is swiss-cheesy. I'm trying to pare down my automotive projects, but I love these old fintails and thought maybe someone here might be interested. Given its current condition, it's either a pretty involved project or a parts car, though.

Feb. 12, 2015 9:20 a.m.

Oh, and the windshield's cracked.

Feb. 13, 2015 3:50 p.m.

I had a 190 Diesel with that body style while I was in high school. I took it down to a bare shell--glass out, interior out, drivetrain out, the whole nine yards--and "restored" it in my parents' garage. It was a lot rustier than the one in the pictures and I had to replace a collision-damaged rear quarter panel with a good used one from a junkyard. I remember getting factory rocker panels from the dealer for $60/each (1982 dollars) and they fit perfectly. Looking back, I don't know how I ever finished it, it was so much work. I had done jobs nearly that big on a couple of MGs and some VWs and remember being so impressed with the quality of the car and the replacement parts. I guess that's why I stuck with it.

Of course, at the end of the project, I realized I had a diesel four door sedan that did 0-60 in about 40 seconds, so I sold it to go back to an MGB.

yupididit Reader
Feb. 14, 2015 2:26 a.m.

If you want a heckflosse it'll be cheaper to buy a rust free one from the west coast and ship it to you. They're pretty affordable here in California and you'll probably pay the same for purchase+shipping as you would for an fair condition east coaster. I was going to buy one in VA. They rust way too easy on the east coast.

914Driver MegaDork
Feb. 14, 2015 7:51 a.m.

Damn you people! I was out in the nether regions 20 miles from home to buy some snow shoes and saw a Heckflosse tucked under an overhang behind a barn. Black with a white roof.

Before you guys, I never would have noticed .....

Feb. 14, 2015 9:45 a.m.

It's nearly almost always easier to buy a rust-free western car and ship it back. That's why I mentioned a car like this is basically a parter. A shame, but unless you really enjoy or want to practice rust repair (or just want to drive it until it breaks in half) that's the economic reality.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

23 hours ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Deal of the Month: Free Trackside Companion!

1 day ago in News

Ever wished you had a handy guide on how to dial in your alignment or adjust your dampers?

This Tuesday: Join Us at Track Night in America

1 day ago in News

This Tuesday we'll be running at Palm Beach International Raceway

Experience Monterey With Us

1 day ago in News

We're on our way out to Monterey, California, for car week.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

2 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

Tomorrow, August 15: Join our Monterey Kickoff Cruise-In

2 days ago in News

Our Monterey welcome party is taking over all of downtown Pacific Grove.

Vintage Views: Classic Mini

4 days ago in Articles

Turn heads, have jolly good fun.

You Need This: Toyota With Rally Pedigree

4 days ago in News

Who can say no to a turbocharger and all-wheel drive?

Join Our Monterey Kickoff Cruise-In at Pacific Grove on Tuesday, August 15

5 days ago in News

Our Monterey welcome party is taking over all of downtown Pacific Grove.

You Need This: J. Geils's Maserati Sebring, Some Assembly Required

5 days ago in News

A rock star project will be auctioned off in Monterey next week.

Who Wants a Skip Barber Car?

5 days ago in News

Skip Barber Racing School is selling off Miatas, Mustangs, Porsches and much more.

2018 Mercedes-Benz E400 4Matic Coupe

5 days ago in New Car Reviews

A Mercedes-Benz is an animal with few equals. I don’t mean that no one else makes a car that’s as ...

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
bCh6VWEBmeEvrK6p930f9jiH3ygn1hBa