Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/28/18 4:49 p.m.

For the third (and last) time, we have agreed to have a car on the field at the Amelia Island Concours before starting to restore it.

The two previous times we agreed to this folly, we had less than a year to do ground-up restorations, working mostly nights and weekends. The first was a Group 44 Racing Triumph GT6, followed …

Read the rest of the story

gjz30075
gjz30075 HalfDork
3/1/18 6:46 a.m.

AGGHH!!     I'd be worried that more cracks might surface.     If you miss Amelia, you'll have it at the Mitty, right?

Rhodyspit75
Rhodyspit75 New Reader
3/1/18 7:32 a.m.

Keep plugging away Tim, I’ll be looking for it on the field a week from Sunday.  I’m sure it will be as nice as the ones you have done in the past.  Ernie 

wschaub
wschaub New Reader
3/5/18 5:04 p.m.

Looks great and you have now left my restoration in the dust although I am targeting Log 38 in August.  Nice work.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/5/18 8:39 p.m.

Nice work.  When I first saw this, I was unsure of the blue.   Now that it is coming together, I like it.  

Just be careful with that assortment of hammers around the car.........Ask me how I know.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
3/6/18 11:40 a.m.

Wow, that is turning out nice.  Good luck with the schedule.  Deadlines are a bitch.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
3/6/18 7:47 p.m.

Did you ever figure out what caused the crack?

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/7/18 5:33 a.m.

A well-placed Classic Motorsports sticker should take care of the paint cracking.  wink

The car looks great in the photos. Amazing project! Looking forward to seeing it on the fairway.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/7/18 5:51 a.m.

We do have it done and it is parked at a reader's house right near Amelia.

When we were doing a lot of the body work it was mid summer here in August and we are wondering if humidity and some bad filler caused the problem. It seems to be perfect now.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/7/18 5:52 a.m.

And yes, we have every intention of the Classic Motorsports Mitty being the second place we show the Lotus!

jakesedlock
jakesedlock
4/26/21 9:57 a.m.

Thank you for posting this incredible guide to the Elan. I decided I'm not up for it and had to post my similar find on Bring a Trailer. What a great car and project. I wish the new owner of mine good luck - I'm sure they will rely on this guide and your recommendations to speed the recovery! 

No Reserve: 1965 Lotus Elan S2 Project for sale on BaT Auctions - ending April 29 (Lot #47,077) | Bring a Trailer

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xU28V0DorCJfVjhfTlw1nv2PeieQyxE7MnkbIMAxSVsP3yqae50YHP8v5OpWLr74