10/9/18 1:43 p.m.

Classic design never fades. It may take some time for that truth to sink in, ’specially if you’re a 14-year-old kid searching for his first set of wheels. But scoring your dream and getting it right the first time is something that stays with you forever, because there’s no room for compromise after that. 

My first car was a ’49 MG TC. It …

Read the rest of the story

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
10/10/18 6:33 a.m.

I wish I could write as well as Peter Brock.  His clarity and brevity really sum up my life.  I feel sorry for today’s youth  who won’t be able to enjoy  the simple pleasures of open air motoring like MG T-Series provide.  

Stuffed into the highly protected and electronically numbing cacoons that modern cars are. Absolutely they are more efficient and safer.  A feeling so highly prized children seek out safe, smooth, and efficient rides at amusement parks.  

russellsifers
russellsifers New Reader
3/7/19 9:22 p.m.

I saw my first MG, a TD,  around 1960 at age 12 or so.  It was black with red interior and was setting in our driveway!   No, it was not my dad's but a friend of his.  I thought it was the coolest car - until I saw a TC.  It was love at first sight.  I saved up my National Guard money and bought my TC in 1971.  It had been rode hard and put away wet but it ran.  I drove it for two years and then did an amateaur restoration on the body, wood and paint.  I still have it.  The TC needs another  restoration, a complete one,  but all the mechanicals have been rebuilt and I run it at the Lake Garnett Grand Prix Revival each year.  I drive it year round but sometimes I just stand there at look at my first love and smile.

Panamericano
Panamericano New Reader
9/7/22 12:11 p.m.

My first was a hot rod 32 or 33 Ford roadster.  Next a Dinalpin (Mexico City).  Some people start down a path that just does not end, as Peter said.  56 years later I have a Birkin S3.  

mhoumard
mhoumard None
9/7/22 7:52 p.m.

"the handsome TF"  Indeed! 

I bought mine in 1962 for $750 from a graduating Senior at the U of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana when I transferred my Freshman year from my home school in Lafayette, Indiana (Go Purdue).

My circularlua was Industrial (product) Design.  As a Junior in 1963, my protfolio was one of the 7 out of more than 600 selected throughout the US to particapate in the 10 week Orientation Studio Program at the GM "styling" center in Warren, Michigan.

Imagine the looks on the faces of the Security Guards at the Tech Center when a TF with 3 kids piled  into it were allowed into the underground Exec Lot filled with concept Corvets & european exotica.

Mark

DneprDave
DneprDave Reader
9/10/22 12:39 p.m.

My first car is a MG TD, I bought it in 1972 for $700. I still have it. I had to move in the middle of a restoration that I'm not fnished with yet. Maybe Classic Motorsports will feature a restoration of a T series MG one day. That would certainly light a fire under my butt to get mine finished.

lhoboken
lhoboken New Reader
9/10/22 1:05 p.m.

Peter,

You once again took us back to the time when we as youth dreamed and sketched and could not wait 

to get the feel of a moving automobile in our hands. Like you many of us had friends, relatives or neighbors 

with these wonderful cars. Mine was a neighbor with a white Jag, can't remember if it was a 120 or a 140, but 

I yearned to drive it in the breeze. Thanks for the memories and another great column.

Larry Hoboken 

Coupe 57

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
9/15/22 9:17 a.m.

I too have been looking for this classic, open air, wind in the face type of motoring. After looking at a bunch of early MGs I stumbled on a 1952 Morgan that I plan on restoring.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/15/22 9:34 a.m.

First car was an '82 Accord.

And can anyone ID where this photo was taken? (Yes, there is a motorsports connection.)

sir_mike
sir_mike Reader
12/13/22 9:09 a.m.

Still have my first car.Bought Sept.1968.1968 Ford Cortina GT

sonomascot
sonomascot
12/13/22 12:29 p.m.

Great story, brings back fond memories - My first car was a '54 TF 1250. I was 17 and the year was 1966. My folks would not let me buy a car until I graduated from HS. She was BRG and pretty near perfect except she needed a new interior. I had some wonderful times in that car. Drove it twice to Road America and parked in the MG corral for the June Sprints. Upon my first day home from Viet Nam in 1970 I took her off the blocks that she had been resting on for 13 months and took her for a "reunion" spin" . Unfortunately in my exuberance I failed to re-insure her, and in Davenport Iowa a young 16 yr. old on her first day with a drivers license ran a red light in her parents BIG car and t-boned the TF.  She was beyond hope, (to me), and I sold her. I've always hoped that somebody made her road worthy again . . .

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/20/22 9:07 p.m.

My first car was a 56 VW convertible.  If I had known how valuable they were going to be I would have kept it.  

BillKeksz
BillKeksz New Reader
1/24/24 2:04 p.m.

Mine was a '72 Pinto. Which was stolen 2 years later.

I'll just leave that there.

Mustang50
Mustang50 Reader
1/27/24 1:05 p.m.

Mine was a 62 Corvair coupe with an automatic.  Best time was a trip to Mid-Ohio for the 67 Trans Am with my friend John Keck .  It was first big time road race and it was won by Jerry Titus in a Shelby prepared Mustang.  Sleeping next to the car we were nearly run over by a bunch of drunks in a VW bug.  Slept the rest of the night in the Corvair.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f2sXbMoR9r3okvKVOjcEKvzKycE18Sv5d2URfbXyvxCIS5U9RhcOVzEZni0d2lOq