David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/2/20 9:55 a.m.
feature_image

Our 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera isn’t a daily driver and, we admit, does sit a bit. Since today’s ethanol-enriched gasolines can absorb moisture from the air, especially in an older car that doesn’t contain a fully sealed fuel system, we have been running non-ethanol fuel in the Porsche.

Three realities about that decision, though: non-ethanol fuels can be more expensive …

Read the rest of the story

alfabeach
alfabeach New Reader
1/2/20 12:58 p.m.

I use non-ethanol in my 89 Alfa. Most of the Gate Stations near me have it. It is usually about 15 cents a gallon more than premium.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/2/20 1:49 p.m.

In my '73 GTV, I've never worried about it- even with winters here in Michigan, I never had problems in the spring with the car.  And now that the car has sat for quite a few years without a fill up, it still starts right up, and does not have any problems.

While alchohol does absorb water, if the system is already robust, it's not a big deal.  As I see it and have experienced it.  Heck, I had to open the tank in my Miata, as the fuel pump siezed, and was amazed how clean that was after sitting half full for many years.

elwoodboll
elwoodboll New Reader
1/2/20 2:11 p.m.

I'm constantly having to rebuild carbs on my 60s Mustangs because of the lousy, ethanol-laced gas here in Kalifornia.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/2/20 2:35 p.m.
elwoodboll said:

I'm constantly having to rebuild carbs on my 60s Mustangs because of the lousy, ethanol-laced gas here in Kalifornia.

Does the pure-gas.org site/app list any local stations serving non-ethanol fuel? I found the one pictured above thanks to the site. It's almost kind of in a residential area. I never would have found it if not for the site. 

SRDGA
SRDGA
1/2/20 4:11 p.m.

Fortunately, in my area there is the option of pure 87, 90, and 93 and I have use for each.  I understand pure gas can last up to two years if stored properly.  One thing to consider and that I contemplate is the extra energy level in pure gasoline compared to ethanol laced gasoline.  I can comment that my vehicles start and run better; holding gears longer while crusing before requiring a downshift using pure E0.  And of course more mileage per tank.  I understand that volumetrically, due to a change in the stoichiometric ratio with the introduction of alcohol the requirement for oxygen lessens and more fuel should be able to be introduced that would theoretically  offset the lack of energy in the alcohol, but can a modern gasoline engine adjust enough to make up the difference in an e10 fuel?  In other words, at WOT which fuel produces more HP E0 or E10 with no modifications to the modern fuel injected gasoline engine?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pKMWvhTX12iBBUigPurvSulTXPvBVBOzuzdws0yWQ7DNtXJNoxskNPlH8dRRkDyN