Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/11/18 3:47 p.m.
feature_image

Photos by Tom and Tim Suddard

We recently purchased, sight unseen, a 1971 Alfa Romeo Spider. This is last of the 1750cc-engined Spiders and also among the first of the square-tail cars.

This one was billed as a No. 3 car–more pristine than a daily driver, but not really a show winner. Think of No. 3 vehicles as good examples. …

Read the rest of the story

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/12/18 5:46 a.m.

It does look a bit scary.  Makes me wonder what evils are hiding in the rocker panels and lower fenders.  Good luck. This should be fun to watch. Do you plan to have it ready for the 2020 Tour de Marque at Watkins Glen?

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
12/12/18 8:17 p.m.

In reading this,it's not all bad. 

LD71
LD71 New Reader
12/13/18 4:57 p.m.

My '79 Spider has a bunch of the same issues, I will be following along and try to complete the same upgrades/fixes you make!

You are lucky you don't have the hard plastic map pockets secured by elastic in the later cars--they flop down and make for uncomfortable elbows---complicated fix.

BTW, my vent windows still have the hardware attached...but vibrate open every 10 or so miles.  When yo fix yours, will be good to see how you keep them closed!

LD71laugh

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
12/13/18 7:16 p.m.

New springs from speedway motors, 9x5.5 inch 1150 inch pound's  front and 5x 16 ,and 175/180 inch pound's  on the rear,I belive ( long time from when I did my 84 Alfa Romeo spider  now running as coil overs  now)  . This well run you 180$ for all the springs, a lot better than i.a.p. or center line parts. At least you can pick your spring rate

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
12/13/18 7:21 p.m.

I did update my steering  thuo 

Much more precise,and rebuilt steering box and idler arm bow,no gear oil in mine  , red lithium grease 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
12/13/18 7:31 p.m.

Yes I know no safety washers,but also no engine or transmission,so I am safe for right now.i have ordered safety washers 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
12/13/18 7:39 p.m.

In reply to LD71 :

To save all those hard to get plastic turn signal and other lights, run Led's

Regular bulbs just push out heat,led' s don't .

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AT01GKz5E6E0THeX5N2ztBuQVqGAmrwGrwWJiXMHnD6Xsg5Mku9DN3DxNFy09myD