Arne
Arne New Reader
1/21/14 9:44 p.m.

Got the March '14 issue today, and had to chuckle a bit when I read Buy&Sell. Turns out I have personal experience with 2 of "Today's 5 Hottest Deals".

Datsun 240Z - Andy tells you to buy now, before the bargains are gone. Well, I sold mine a bit over 2 years ago. I had it for 6 years, and was very active in the Z-car online community, serving as admin/moderator at classiczcar.com for several years. Pretty familiar with the market, both then and now.

I find this prediction a little amusing. You see, if you go back in time, the 240Z has been on everyone's "buy one before the price sky-rockets" lists for 10-15 years, maybe more. Never happens. The prices are static or merely creep upward. The cars just can't seem to get a foothold into most enthusiast's brains. Perennial car with potential, but never hits the big time.

Porsche 911SC - On the other hand, the market for later air-cooled 911's is already hot, and climbing fast. I bought an '84 911 Carrera Coupe after I sold the 240Z, and in the 2 years since the prices on SC's and Carreras have gone up 20% or more. In late 2011, I had no problem finding several nice '78-'88 coupes to look at within driving distance and a $15k budget. Today, those same cars are $20k and up. The $13k 911SC Andy mentions will be a rough example, if you can find one at all.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
1/23/14 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Arne:

240Z? sssssSSSSSSSSHHHHHH!!!

Arne
Arne New Reader
1/23/14 11:34 p.m.
Rupert wrote: In reply to Arne: 240Z? sssssSSSSSSSSHHHHHH!!!

I know, I know. The longer they stay affordable the easier it is for people to buy what is really, a darned cool classic car.

But be prepared. While us Americans don't seem to appreciate the 240Z, the Europeans do. I couldn't find a buyer for my car here in the States, it lives in Norway now. And in the past couple of years since I sold mine, I've heard of at least 6 other very nice ones going to Europe. Some of the best examples are gone now, and more to come.

So I'd say that rather than "buy one while they're cheap", you should buy one before they are all gone.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tI1uycEJRKddlCeQvY2RbGzRI2tg70tVgVp6TByIarLIbuViwjvCE5scz0lhGOkd