Javelin MegaDork
Jan. 22, 2013 3:58 p.m.

I would really like to get my 1973 AMC Javelin onto a classic or agreed-value policy. It has Washington State Collector plates on it. It runs and drives and I use it to go to work on nice Fridays Spring-Fall and to car shows, cruises, and the like. I have a daily driver car with normal insurance.

The problems I've run into are, 1. It's not garaged; 2. It's not re-painted (yet); and 3. It's not worth at least $20,000.

Those are the three denials I have received from three companies so far.

Is there anywhere I can get a policy requisite with the mileage/usage limits already in place by the plates? I'd like to insure it for around $7,500 right now. It is a rolling project, so I am constantly working on it and improving it, and I document everything (see the longest Build Thread in this forum...).

Thank you.

spitfirebill UltraDork
Jan. 22, 2013 4:00 p.m.

I think the no garage is going to be the deal breaker.

Toyman01 PowerDork
Jan. 22, 2013 4:10 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: I think the no garage is going to be the deal breaker.

This. Everyone I've talked to says lockable garage. An enclosed trailer doesn't count, I tried that rout before I bought a house with a garage.

Keith Tanner MegaDork
Jan. 22, 2013 4:15 p.m.

Agreed. Hagerty had no problem with my inexpensive, slightly ragged MGB (or the more valuable, highly modified later incarnation) but it has to be garaged.

Javelin MegaDork
Jan. 22, 2013 4:18 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: I think the no garage is going to be the deal breaker.

I've had two different companies be okay with this, but one wanted it to be worth $20K minimum, and the other wanted it painted first (no projects).

My home has a garage, the car just doesn't physically fit (thanks to the stuff they like to build into garages, like the laundry room and water heater).

Curmudgeon MegaDork
Jan. 22, 2013 4:45 p.m.

Yeah, that whole 'garaged' thing is a biggie. With American Collectors (through Grundy Worldwide), I also had to show I have a daily driver. The Jensen has an agreed value of $12,000.00.

Javelin MegaDork
Jan. 22, 2013 5:08 p.m.

In reply to Datsun1500:

I'm going to lie to get insurance. Also, the question is usually "is it garaged?".

BoxheadTim PowerDork
Jan. 22, 2013 5:43 p.m.

Is there a storage place near you where you could rent a unit for the Javelin? That might be enough to satisfy the "garaged" requirement.

Raze SuperDork
Jan. 22, 2013 8:47 p.m.

Uh, Condon & Skelly insure my Fiat, the lowest value they will insure it for $3,500, when I first asked to insure it for $2,500 the guy on the other end said, sure, as long as it's worth $3,500 , I paid $90 for this year with as much coverage as my daily drivers and I don't have Safe Auto if you catch my drift. I don't have any mileage restrictions or use restrictions, can drive it to work, AutoX, car shows, the mall, across country, but the only rule is that its garaged. I think that's going to be a killer any way you slice it. You could try working something out with them, perhaps ask what constitutes a garage, I can think of a cheap HF car-tent solution that might pass muster.

Javelin MegaDork
Jan. 22, 2013 9:00 p.m.

In reply to Datsun1500:

Gee, thanks for the "advice".

Javelin MegaDork
Jan. 22, 2013 9:01 p.m.

In reply to Raze:

I've never heard of them, which is good! I'll give them a call tomorrow. I can (and do) park it in the backyard behind a locked gate if it's theft they're worried about.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Modern Day Track Junkie

14 hours ago in Articles

Christina Lam went from the sidelines to full-on track enthusiast in 8 simple steps.

2017 Audi A8 L

15 hours ago in New Car Reviews

When it comes to luxury sedans, Audis are usually front-runners. The A8 L is the biggest and maybe most comfortable ...

Slight Project Pause for Our BMW M3

17 hours ago in Project Cars

Few things slow down our project car progress more effectively than a broken arm.

Grassroots Motorsports Experience Ticket Renewals Have Been Sent

1 day ago in News

Check your inbox for our Grassroots Motorsports Experience renewals.

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

1 day ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

1 day ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Vintage Views: GMC Syclone and Typhoon

2 days ago in Articles

All-wheel drive, turbo power and a Q-ship’s stealth.

Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty Celebrates Porsche

3 days ago in News

Gearhead heaven? We think it looks something like this.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

3 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

6 days ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

6 days ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

What's the Plan, Man?

1 week ago in Articles

Thoughts on our racing plan for the year.

OUR SPONSORS

Birthdays

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
7PxcLfbifAKMezHX7lKvDLMYeBmErReq