Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/13 3:58 p.m.

I would really like to get my 1973 AMC Javelin onto a classic or agreed-value policy. It has Washington State Collector plates on it. It runs and drives and I use it to go to work on nice Fridays Spring-Fall and to car shows, cruises, and the like. I have a daily driver car with normal insurance.

The problems I've run into are, 1. It's not garaged; 2. It's not re-painted (yet); and 3. It's not worth at least $20,000.

Those are the three denials I have received from three companies so far.

Is there anywhere I can get a policy requisite with the mileage/usage limits already in place by the plates? I'd like to insure it for around $7,500 right now. It is a rolling project, so I am constantly working on it and improving it, and I document everything (see the longest Build Thread in this forum...).

Thank you.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
1/22/13 4:00 p.m.

I think the no garage is going to be the deal breaker.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/22/13 4:10 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: I think the no garage is going to be the deal breaker.

This. Everyone I've talked to says lockable garage. An enclosed trailer doesn't count, I tried that rout before I bought a house with a garage.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/13 4:15 p.m.

Agreed. Hagerty had no problem with my inexpensive, slightly ragged MGB (or the more valuable, highly modified later incarnation) but it has to be garaged.

Javelin
1/22/13 4:18 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: I think the no garage is going to be the deal breaker.

I've had two different companies be okay with this, but one wanted it to be worth $20K minimum, and the other wanted it painted first (no projects).

My home has a garage, the car just doesn't physically fit (thanks to the stuff they like to build into garages, like the laundry room and water heater).

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/22/13 4:45 p.m.

Yeah, that whole 'garaged' thing is a biggie. With American Collectors (through Grundy Worldwide), I also had to show I have a daily driver. The Jensen has an agreed value of $12,000.00.

Javelin
1/22/13 5:08 p.m.

In reply to Datsun1500:

I'm going to lie to get insurance. Also, the question is usually "is it garaged?".

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/22/13 5:43 p.m.

Is there a storage place near you where you could rent a unit for the Javelin? That might be enough to satisfy the "garaged" requirement.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/22/13 8:47 p.m.

Uh, Condon & Skelly insure my Fiat, the lowest value they will insure it for $3,500, when I first asked to insure it for $2,500 the guy on the other end said, sure, as long as it's worth $3,500 , I paid $90 for this year with as much coverage as my daily drivers and I don't have Safe Auto if you catch my drift. I don't have any mileage restrictions or use restrictions, can drive it to work, AutoX, car shows, the mall, across country, but the only rule is that its garaged. I think that's going to be a killer any way you slice it. You could try working something out with them, perhaps ask what constitutes a garage, I can think of a cheap HF car-tent solution that might pass muster.

Javelin
1/22/13 9:00 p.m.

In reply to Datsun1500:

Gee, thanks for the "advice".

Javelin
1/22/13 9:01 p.m.

In reply to Raze:

I've never heard of them, which is good! I'll give them a call tomorrow. I can (and do) park it in the backyard behind a locked gate if it's theft they're worried about.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2y0mkeTOaNE5w8DLKrZBkI4zLcqndbLEldk8A1abfDVCKTrkoiaSdmdE1crBmrex