aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
6/25/12 5:19 a.m.

Here's a short video that shows my latest "Little Red Rat" project (in the driveway plus driving around locally). I just insured it and put it on the road. The car is sort of a mess with crappy paint and taped-up seats. But who cares? It's also been a lot of fun.

ps-ignore the "bending widshield". That's what happens when you let youtube "fix your shaky image". I should have left it as is.

~VIDEO~

I bought this Midget for less than $300 only for the purpose of yanking the 1275 engine and trans (for use in my Austin sedan race car project.....which is still ongoing).

After the engine was out, it seemed a shame to cut up this RWA car. It was quite solid and only has 19,500 miles total. But it had a different colour right front fender, a rotted hood (bonnet), a dreadful convertible top, awful seats, etc. On the other hand, I had all these parts, plus an unwanted 948 engine that ran OK, a spare gearbox (with noisy 1st gear), a clean fuel tank (to replace the one in the car that was full of mud), etc.

In total, assuming the car was "free" (after pulling the engine) I have less than $200 in the car. I did spend another $230 for four tires, but I can consider them as rain tires for the race-Spridget. And even if I include them, I'm barely up to $400 for a running Spridget.

The wiring is bodgey and dodgey, the steering wheel is funky and the horn button is under the dash. It has one of those ugly DGV carbs, used plugs, old points and a mix of plug wires that all look pretty bad. Cap, rotor and fan belt are all well worn. So is clutch and throwout bearing. But it all works and drives quite well. Brakes are decent and I have fitted decent used parts in the front end (ball joints, etc).

BEFORE

AFTER (but still awaiting roll bar, top and front bumper).

OFracing
OFracing Reader
6/25/12 12:04 p.m.

I like it. If you get tired of it, make it into a Chump car.

mike

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
6/25/12 4:25 p.m.

I've already run 24 Hours of Lemons.

I know that Lemons/Chumpcar is popular, but honestly, once was enough for me.

It might be fun to run it in the Grassroots Challenge, just for a goof.
Maybe I could win The Index of Performance or something.

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
6/25/12 10:20 p.m.

Color me jealous. I love a good bargain.

I should have never sold my Fiat 850. Ugh...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/24/18 7:36 a.m.

Now that it's almost 6 years after this video, what happened to the car?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/22 7:09 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Now that it's almost 6 years after this video, what happened to the car?

I just stumbled upon this thread and was wondering the same thing!

Gary
Gary UltraDork
1/23/22 9:14 a.m.

I don't know about the red Midget, but the 1275 engine from it did end up in his Austin A35 sedan race car. Nial (the OP) finally got the A35 racer out on the track last summer. I saw him at Thompson in June and Lime Rock in September. Very cool little car, and a great back story on how Nial acquired it and turned it into a racer. I wish Tim would contact him for an article in CM magazine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U6EtldJITAnzhSJqoM0rao3pMfCIr2Y4cAmdC4P2ck959a2xIPN59bRbXJPjgELa