Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
9/27/17 12:52 p.m.
feature_image

Before undertaking the rear suspension rebuild and assembly, we wanted to get the differential rebuilt and in place. This is critical because the suspension’s Roto-flex couplings and half shafts mount to this differential.

Based on a common English Ford unit, the front half of the differential is nothing fancy. What makes this differential special is not the ring and pinion …

Read the rest of the story

wschaub
wschaub
9/29/17 7:52 a.m.

Did you install the stiffening bracket that spans the upper mounting ears on the aluminum casting?  Lotus added these to later Elans.  If not, it may be worth considering.  I'm following this restoration with great interest as I am restoring a 1972 Elan that has been sitting since 1987.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/12/17 6:20 a.m.

In reply to wschaub:

I did not add those stiffening bracket. We are trying to restore this as close to original as possible. I did stiffen the engine mounts, as they were torn.

wschaub
wschaub New Reader
10/12/17 3:03 p.m.

You may want to talk to Ray @ R.D.  That differential bracket was a running change Lotus made, I think with the Sprint.  It is a pain, even with the body off.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/15/17 7:43 a.m.

In reply to wschaub:

I have been talking to Ray at least once a week, about every step in the restoration. He has been a great resource and a great guy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L0l2W3dX4Mw5sNgVhaoEIApiFvR1xVBrmMCWNOc7CKdmboVvKeKxCXXJaluBYcFl