TR8owner
TR8owner Reader
3/23/12 10:14 p.m.

.........will our classic cars be worth anything?

Many things to consider in future world. Not just eco/disaster type stuff but also the fact that mosts kids just aren't that interested in our cars. My son couldn't give two hoots about tuning SU carbs or adjusting points, etc, etc, ect, He's got his high tech gadgets that interests him far more. Go to any vintage event and its mostly graying hair. Sure, there's a few sons and daughters sharing dad's hobby, but its not a big deal to most of the 20-somethings.

If the world takes a big dump some time in the future how is a multi million dollar Ferrari going to be more important than fresh water or food? Or even if we run out of gasoline?

Realistically, nobody knows what the future may bring. I say just enjoy it now.

Your thoughts.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
3/24/12 6:33 a.m.

I have postulated this theory for a while. Starting to see big Healey prices head that way already as there are more cars than buyers. Jags also.

What is masking this is that the trylly exceptional cars are still finding good money and people wave them around as the benchmark of value. However, the more mundane examples are not moving quickly or at anywhere near record values.

Where the whole hobby is going to implode is when there is not enough business for the likes of MOSS or VB who keep us in parts. If you think people avoid paying good money for an MG now, wait till parts are un-obtanium. Kids nowdays do not have the time, patience nor disposable income that is required to play with these old cars.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
3/24/12 7:08 a.m.

But on the flip side technology like CNC is coming on strong. So really you will always be able to make parts.

Still it seems to make sense. Find your classic and buy it now. ;)

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
3/24/12 8:34 a.m.

Ii saw a study yesterday that said 46% of 16-24 year olds would rather have Internet than a car. Wow, I could give up the Internet tomorrow.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
3/24/12 12:26 p.m.

Sadly I believe that article is a low-ball figure. I know several people with children approaching 21 who have no desire to even have a license.

Leave home before 25 or 30? Forgetaboutit!!

Rupert
Rupert Reader
3/24/12 12:34 p.m.
TR8owner wrote: .........will our classic cars be worth anything? Many things to consider in future world. Not just eco/disaster type stuff but also the fact that mosts kids just aren't that interested in our cars. My son couldn't give two hoots about tuning SU carbs or adjusting points, etc, etc, ect, He's got his high tech gadgets that interests him far more. Go to any vintage event and its mostly graying hair. Sure, there's a few sons and daughters sharing dad's hobby, but its not a big deal to most of the 20-somethings. If the world takes a big dump some time in the future how is a multi million dollar Ferrari going to be more important than fresh water or food? Or even if we run out of gasoline? Realistically, nobody knows what the future may bring. I say just enjoy it now. Your thoughts.

I look at cars a little differently than dollars and cents. I invest in investments for long term investment. I buy cars, boats, musical instruments, etc. for toys. What toys I can't afford to play with and then take a loss when I sell, I don't buy.

I do agree about the electronics comments. Even the younger "enthusiasts" in our sport are more interested in installing a new flash download for their power card than learning how to tune a 4-barrell or God Forbid a Weber or SU!

Ian F
Ian F UltraDork
3/26/12 9:27 a.m.

I believe the truth will end up somewhere in the middle. Yes, there may be a drop in classic car interest and corresponding values as the folks who grew up with them leave the hobby for various reasons, but there will always be some level of interest in old cars. Take the Model T for example. Few people alive today were even born when the last one rolled off the line, yet the cars still have a following as do other brass-era cars.

While I was alive when my classic cars were built, it was just barely in the case of my '72 GT6 and '73 1800ES.

I still believe there will be kids who get "the car gene' and will follow in our footsteps.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/26/12 9:41 a.m.

IMHO the upper end of the classic collector market will continue to thrive. The folks buying $2 million Ferraris and Bugattis are insulated from the sort of financial decisions most of us have to make. (food / bills vs. another car) To them, these are investments (really cool investments you can show your buddies) A 50s pontoon fendered Testarossa will always be an extremely valuable car.

I see the market moving forward as time moves on, and the cars from the 80s and 90s gaining in value. The "kids" who grew up worshiping the 4th gen Supra, TT RX-7, and 300zx TT, will drive those cars up in value, just as their Dad's have driven up the prices of 1st gen Camaros, GTOs and Mach 1 Mustangs.

For me....... I really want a Model T. Not because it is a good car, or because it is sexy, but because it may be the most important machine ever built. I think (and hope) there are enough folks out there that value the history of our cars as well as how they perform.

In order to make sure kids are kept interested in our hobby, we all should do our part to inspire some enthusiasm. Giving kids rides, or just letting them sit in your car at a show and making the hobby accessible-- can make amazing changes in a youngster's mindset. On the flip-side, being stand-offish, or treating our cars like they are made of fine china (not to be touched by the young) can have a very negative effect on how a child views our hobby.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
3/26/12 3:00 p.m.
TR8owner wrote: My son couldn't give two hoots about tuning SU carbs or adjusting points, etc, etc, ect, He's got his high tech gadgets that interests him far more.

Guilty as charged... my first mod to the Dart was to ditch the points for a Pertronix Ignitor, and I eventually ditched the carb after trying to find one designed to maintain a correct air/fuel ratio both under vacuum and full boost.

I don't think the Dart is ever going to be a safe investment, but throwing several thousand into mods for a $500 car generally isn't.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/26/12 4:55 p.m.

My 12 YO son couldn't give a hoot about anything made since the 60s - well except for late model Lambos that is. I think that what we consider vintage will continue to be popular ad infinitum.

It will be interesting to see the evolution of recent models into classics. Modern cars are so dad-gum complex. In 30 years, will people be talking about their vintage 1990 Lexus LS400? Will they even be able to get parts for it? I think that a threshold was crossed in the 70s when engine bays became so cluttered that they became less fun to work in. Whatever is considered classic in the future will likely make a distinction around that time period as well.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/26/12 5:08 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: In order to make sure kids are kept interested in our hobby, we all should do our part to inspire some enthusiasm. Giving kids rides, or just letting them sit in your car at a show and making the hobby accessible-- can make amazing changes in a youngster's mindset. On the flip-side, being stand-offish, or treating our cars like they are made of fine china (not to be touched by the young) can have a very negative effect on how a child views our hobby.

Quoting it since Joe put it so nicely. I think all of us here need to do what we can to pass along the love of these cars to the next generation.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/26/12 5:54 p.m.

Best thing I ever did was to pick up my son from school in my Stalker (Lotus sevenesque). All of a sudden he's a rock star. Besides that, I think that the hook really set when we went to vintage races at Sears Point. He enjoyed the pits even more than the on-track action.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
3/27/12 11:34 a.m.
kreb wrote: My 12 YO son couldn't give a hoot about anything made since the 60s - well except for late model Lambos that is. I think that what we consider vintage will continue to be popular ad infinitum. It will be interesting to see the evolution of recent models into classics. Modern cars are so dad-gum complex. In 30 years, will people be talking about their vintage 1990 Lexus LS400? Will they even be able to get parts for it? I think that a threshold was crossed in the 70s when engine bays became so cluttered that they became less fun to work in. Whatever is considered classic in the future will likely make a distinction around that time period as well.

I'm not sure about the LS400's staying power, but cars with more appeal to gearheads - and for that matter, the not quite gearheads who grew up watching The Fast and the Furious series - will probably have more staying power. I can easily picture everybody at a car show 30 years from now drooling over a pristine 1996 Supra, and something like a 5th generation Civic in good shape with period correct speed parts might be worth real money then.

RHCorley
RHCorley New Reader
3/30/12 2:42 p.m.

As we age, we want the cars that we lusted after when we were kids and the cars our fathers drooled on get relegated to museums. Right now the folks with the money are the baby boomers and they've driven the price of muscle cars right through the ceiling. Most of the 'classics' as we now call them are on static display in collections. So will it be with the Hemi 'Cudas, the Boss Mustangs and the GTOs in a few more decades.

What amazes me is the number of young people as well as adults that have grown up in an 'automatic' world and have no idea how to drive a manual gearbox. That's sad...

Tom1200
Tom1200 New Reader
3/30/12 4:22 p.m.

Well here is some happy news.........

My son is High School senior, a couple of his friends not only know what a Datsun is but also think they are cool old cars.

A Co-workers son wants a classic.......Acura NSX. My son also views them as a cool, other classics my son wants are Lancia Stratos, Ferrari P4, McLaren F1 and he also wants an Opel GT.

So those annoying blat can muffler Civics, will be restored and loved by middle aged men 30 years from now. Others on the list will be 240SX, Holden / Pontiac GTO, Miata, Celica, WRX, Evo's plus Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs and Porsches.

Where as my brother loved muscle cars I thought of them as complete rubbish, slower than my motorcycle and lousy brakes and handling..................35 years later I appreciate them but still wouldn't buy one.

So you may well be at a car show 20yrs from now and hear some 45yr old kid say "who would pay 100K for Hemi Cuda when you could by a classic WRX for 25 grand!!" Now if you don't believe this could happen, you need to listen to my son when I tell him a 356 cost 50 grand or more.........."for that craptastic little car? , what a waste of money"

Tom
wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
3/30/12 7:05 p.m.

So true. My carnut daughter and her car friends think my Opel GT and MG Midget MK I is cool but don't want to own one. They want their Miata, STI's, BMW 3 series and Hondas.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
3/30/12 9:05 p.m.

Depends on what you have now....

The age of Euro (Alfa sedan, BMW 1600/2002, Fiat 124 coupe) is not likely to gain much in value...

Most younger people I know will go to extremes looking for a rwd Toyota, or Datsun, the more "JDM" the better.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
4/5/12 8:15 a.m.
kreb wrote: Best thing I ever did was to pick up my son from school in my Stalker (Lotus sevenesque). All of a sudden he's a rock star. Besides that, I think that the hook really set when we went to vintage races at Sears Point. He enjoyed the pits even more than the on-track action.

Great Idea!!

Derskine1993
Derskine1993
5/12/12 9:40 a.m.

The answer is no, I'm 18 and have just finished restoring a MK1 Cortina, I am also a member of a group of <21 year olds who have an interest in/restore old cars.

As said previously, people still have an interest in very early cars, I expect the interest in say 60s cars will soon become a rarity however, it's inevitable that interest will decrease, and it's a sad fact

boeingpilot
boeingpilot New Reader
5/13/12 9:38 a.m.

Here's another angle. Kids grow up hearing the stories about the cool stuff their dads drove back in the day, and those are the cars they buy when they can afford them. I grew up hearing my dad's tales of glory and fun in '60's Triumphs, Vettes and Jags. Today I have a TR4A and a GT6 in my garage. My 11 year old son is growing up hearing me talk about lighting up the streets in my mom's 5.0 Mustang GT and my buddy's Supra. He likes the Triumphs, but is lobbying his grandma hard to turn the Mustang over to him when he turns 16!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
5/14/12 10:53 a.m.
boeingpilot wrote: Here's another angle. Kids grow up hearing the stories about the cool stuff their dads drove back in the day, and those are the cars they buy when they can afford them. I grew up hearing my dad's tales of glory and fun in '60's Triumphs, Vettes and Jags. Today I have a TR4A and a GT6 in my garage. My 11 year old son is growing up hearing me talk about lighting up the streets in my mom's 5.0 Mustang GT and my buddy's Supra. He likes the Triumphs, but is lobbying his grandma hard to turn the Mustang over to him when he turns 16!

True enough... that's how I got into older Mopars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kT8Akr0qclILGsvKVSYdSt6T5e5khHdbzrbiUuTRAC7xuLcTSVrOwCwcST4Pi6s4