wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Reader
5/29/08 8:16 p.m.

OK experts, I need guidance. I'm finishing up the restoration of my 70 Opel GT. It's all original, including points in the distributor except for a rebuilt Weber 32/36 DGV replacing the original Solex. Turned the key for the first time last night and everything seemed normal. mechanical fuel pump got fuel to the carb, can see fuel in the barrels but didn't start. worked on it today and still wouldn't start but turned over normally. Just like it should. Then something weird happened after letting it sit for a couple minutes. truned the key to the "run" position and the tach jumps and settles at 3000 rpm (hmmn, that's strange) turned the key further to "start" position and tach moves down to 1500 rpm (huh?) and the motor wouldn't turn over. :evil: Talked with a friend and he gave me the specs to test the coil (original Bosch). Ohms at >2 ohms at the pos to neg terminal and 8K from side to center. That's about what he said it shoud be. Next I tried jumping the starter but all that happened is a large current draw but still not turning. New battery on a charger w/ >12-volts tested. Points working, at least the distributor is turning and the points are opening. I initially thought bad coil but now I'm leaning to bad starter solinoid, maybe both. Coil is optainable local, starter isn't, have to order it and ship the old one for core. I know I'm pushing a deadline, my local club is holding it's annual EuroBrit car show Saturday and I'd like to debut the car there, that is if I can get it started. Any ideas as what this is? coil or starter?

KaptKaos
KaptKaos Reader
5/29/08 11:13 p.m.

Air/Spark/Fuel

Check your jets on the carb and make sure they are clear. I dunno much about mechanical fuel pumps, but if you see fuel squirting into the venturis, you're probably ok.

Pull one plug wire at a time from the plug side and see if it arcs when you crank it. Obviously, you'll need help with that.

Good luck and post your results!

zinteck
zinteck None
5/30/08 10:52 a.m.

I take it that the engine is still turning over ? It turns but, won't start Correct?

Do you have a ground strap or wire from the engine to the body and is the body grounde to the battery?

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Reader
5/30/08 11:32 a.m.

Nope, no longer turning over. Did before the starter issues. Turned over normally. Which should rule out the ground straps, which are there and functional. Both a ground strap from battery to frame and from engine block to frame. Got fuel and air through the carb, was just starting to dig into the spark issue when the weird things with the tach started and the engine no longer turns over. I talked with a couple friends, one that runs a classic European repair shop and another that's rebuilt several Opels and we all tend to think it's the starter/solenoid. I'm gonna dig into that this weekend.

zinteck
zinteck New Reader
5/30/08 3:14 p.m.

Yep, I'm with them. Any clicking sound coming from the starter?

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Reader
6/2/08 2:53 p.m.

Dug into it a bit more. When jumping the solenoid, the solenoid clicks but the starter motor doesn't turn and there is a large(ish) current draw. When bypassing the solenoid and going straight to the starter motor, nothing happens except a large current draw. Every indication of a bad starter motor. I had never seen a tach do this, especially because of a starter. Figured it was the coil gone bad but wasn't sure. The tach indication kinda lead me to believe it was the coil but like I said, I've never heard of this indication before and needed to talk it through with smart people. Thanks for putting up with this. Got pictures of the show that the car missed and will post some when I get them sorted out. It was supposed to be the debut of the completed car. Didn't have a trailer to get it there since it won't move under it's own power yet. Hopefully the next show later this month.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O1UWEqnGJuO5yUpv5UpV9MbUCfRytxwrLdn0czV7Nid3l7GHyezR16sQTRfXnRTe