feature_image

Motorsport Marketing, Inc., publisher of Grassroots Motorsports and Classic Motorsports, has provided our readers with a break from the outside world and a retreat from their daily grind for more than 35 years. We’ve hosted writers, advertisers, subjects and readers from all walks of life, using a shared love of cars as the glue to hold our community together.

Through …

Read the rest of the story

mrichlen
mrichlen New Reader
6/1/20 5:47 p.m.

You should have left this at the first two paragraphs.  You are not compelled to speak out by anything other than your desire to do so.  The Southern Poverty Law Center is not where I would choose to donate if I felt strongly about the current situation.    I don't come here to read your comments about current events; it's about cars, stick to the knitting.  Good bye. 

Harv1954
Harv1954 New Reader
6/1/20 7:03 p.m.

One of the many reasons, I have followed Grassroots and Classic Motorsports for many years is the personal touch evident in editorials. The information in the magazine is relatable because we know there is a hard working family and staff in the background. Personal stories have contributed to a reader's appreciation, ie building the garage etc. Saying nothing when this is occurring across the country would imply consent or a politically correct stance -ie it doesn't concern me. I graduated from high school and college in an age when I thought racism would be a historical issue. After, a career in the Army, the return to civilian life was a virtual slap in the face. The entrenched racism that still permeates our society will continue to exist unless we speak up and acknowledge it on all forums. I applaud you for making this statement...it is your business who you contribute to... I find it interesting how the magazines that have included the personal side of their staff have continued to prosper, witness Keith Martin at Sports Car Market and your magazines. Thanks for having a conscience. 

rightlane
rightlane New Reader
6/1/20 9:38 p.m.

Thank you for voicing up your opinion. I do think it is a responsible act for you guys to do this. 

TheRev
TheRev New Reader
6/2/20 11:55 a.m.

Well and wisely said. While I, like most of us, turn to motorsports as a healthy escape from the stresses and upheavel of the world around us, there is a time when escape is not what's called for. This is one of those times. Thank you.

Rporter
Rporter
6/2/20 12:48 p.m.

Totally agree with your comments. We do not live in a box but in the world as we find it and must stand up for what is right. Unfortunate that real life has to intrude in fun of cars but it is what it is.

TheRev
TheRev New Reader
6/2/20 1:37 p.m.

One other comment I'll add since we're all automotive enthusiasts on this forum: since my wife and I started our automotive charity 2 ½ years ago, we've given away reliable vehicles to 37 families in Brazos County, Texas who were brought to us by our two school districts, large charitable orgs like H4H and FoodBank, and various religious orgs. Of those 37 families, 20 have been African American. That's 54% in a county of just 11% African American. Conclusion: transportation insecurity, which has a bigger impact on generational poverty than even education, disproportionately affects the black community by a dramatic amount.

All that to say, if you have the ability, please look for ways to use this hobby to help families in need of reliable transportation, especially from minority communities. Note, this is not a plug for our charity - we're only in the Brazos Valley. But there's a LOT of people in desperate need of help throughout America. If you can, find a way to be part of the solution. And if you need advice, all we've learned and developed through OnRamp is yours for free. Our prayer is to help people launch OnRamps throughout the United States.

Jimsipos
Jimsipos
6/2/20 3:40 p.m.

Thank you  for  standing tall and speaking  out. That was all  I needed to get me to  sign  up. I enjoy your site very much.

Cars_4_All
Cars_4_All
6/2/20 7:10 p.m.

It's been a good ride. I have been a harcopy subscriber, purchased Classic Motorsports over the counter, and followed online.

I can understand the editorial need to make a statement on a subject in the news, but outside your wheelhouse. What I cannot support is funding an organization that feeds off of exploiting the division that exists in our country. The Southern Poverty Law Center is anything but a "Law Center". Don't read just their website - do a search for ALL articles related to this group.

I wish you all the best - I have enjoyed your content until now.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/3/20 11:52 a.m.
TheRev said:

One other comment I'll add since we're all automotive enthusiasts on this forum: since my wife and I started our automotive charity 2 ½ years ago, we've given away reliable vehicles to 37 families in Brazos County, Texas who were brought to us by our two school districts, large charitable orgs like H4H and FoodBank, and various religious orgs. Of those 37 families, 20 have been African American. That's 54% in a county of just 11% African American. Conclusion: transportation insecurity, which has a bigger impact on generational poverty than even education, disproportionately affects the black community by a dramatic amount.

All that to say, if you have the ability, please look for ways to use this hobby to help families in need of reliable transportation, especially from minority communities. Note, this is not a plug for our charity - we're only in the Brazos Valley. But there's a LOT of people in desperate need of help throughout America. If you can, find a way to be part of the solution. And if you need advice, all we've learned and developed through OnRamp is yours for free. Our prayer is to help people launch OnRamps throughout the United States.

I would be interested in more information about how to do the same thing locally. I'm in suburban/rural America and without a (reliable) vehicle, there is minimal transport options available. Having a reliable, legal, vehicle opens up many doors.

torked714
torked714
6/3/20 3:04 p.m.

"We stand against racism. We stand against violence. We stand for inclusion. We stand for a free press. We stand for speaking out, together." - doesn't get any better than that. We would be in a lot better place if everyone lived by those principles. Lots of he said, she said about the Southern Poverty Law Center. Their primary focus of monitoring and exposing hate groups is a good cause. Thanks for giving to a good cause. I am quite certain you could have just as easily put that money down on car parts. Thanks for your stance, your magazines, your generosity and having the balls to let everyone know how you feel.

TheRev
TheRev New Reader
6/3/20 3:23 p.m.

In reply to Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) :

Would LOVE to talk about that. Shoot me your email to blakejennings@me.com and we can correspond via email. I'm happy to send info on what we do along with any procedures and policy stuff if it helps. And you can learn a lot more at our website www.onramptx.org.

Blake

Westview
Westview
6/3/20 4:34 p.m.

I've been reading Grassroots Motorsport since its inception and Auto-X before that. I had 5 different automotive magazine subscriptions for decades. One by one I dropped them until Grassroots Motorsports is the only one I still get. A significant factor in dropping some of those magazine subscriptions had to do with them expressing their opinions on topics outside of the automotive world. I do not wish to contribute to building a platform expressing non-automotive opinions.

"We stand against racism. We stand against violence. We stand for inclusion. We stand for a free press." I assume these things are true of everyone until proven otherwise. Using this platform to express that message just sounds like virtue signaling to me. I don't see any reason for you to feel "compelled to speak out" on this topic, on this platform.

I can't fathom why you would think it wise to endorse an organization such as Southern Poverty Law Center. I’ve heard of them, but frankly don’t know much about them. However, a simple web search turned up some significant controversy. Perhaps there’s no merit to the negative claims against the SPLC. I surely don’t know. But why tie yourself to this controversy?

I personally hope this detour from the automotive lane is an aberration that's not repeated.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/5/20 7:39 a.m.

We generally stay out of politics and as one reader said "stick to the knitting". We felt after more than 400 years, we had to come out and say something this time.

As for the charity we chose, every charity has issues and this one is pretty well rated overall. The point isn't about the charity, it is about everyone getting along and once and for all, judging you fellow man and womoan for his/her character and not what he/she looks like.

Ok, I'll get back to my knitting, or in today's case, my offroad Miata project now.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KxZbTBAtXlGkAkUQh6gF6EZopbMS1vmldsVLXjD85O4aXVV59PGl8j4983nHyqmf